DB Jodel

Hi everyone, I have bought a DB Jodel in very good condition, but it has been changed to electric and I,m trying to convert it back to IC. All looks straight forward enough but i,m not sure of the position of the engine mount.

So can someone please advise me of the exact position to fit the mount. The original has been changed.

Thanks

Tom

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Tom,

Don't know if this helps but on the DB sport and scale web site it shows a little picture of the engine position if you scroll down. I'm assuming that you have the 62" D120 model. If you have the 45" D112/117 version, PM me with your address as I have the plans and can try and copy just the relevent part.

Bob

hi tom i've been looking for the plans for the d120 jodel i built a while ago , i cut the plan in two , but i can only find the wings part

if i find the fusalage part i'll take a photo for you , other than that all i can do is take a photo from the front showing where the engine mount is

• 5 years later...

Hi everyone, following on from this old post, I turned this Jodel back into an IC model with no problem, and it flew very well. I then went and did the unthinkable, at a weak moment I sold it to a fellow member of the club I belonged to then.

I have been trying to find another one ever since, I didn’t want to buy a new one, but lockdown is here again so that build would keep me quiet. I see DB Sports are having issues at the moment so I can’t buy one there. But I see there is one on Sarik, but it’s for a .61 engine, so my question is has anyone made this plane from this Drawing and is it worth venturing down this road. All comments are welcome.

thanks

Tom

Hi Tom, I expect you have seen that Sarik also do a short kit for the Jodel D120 you mentioned but it does not look as good value as the DB Sport and Scale kit. You could always give DB an email and ask how long before they can supply a kit.

I have the plan for Keith Humber's 58in span Jodel D117 from Radio Modeller Dec1991. It was OS40 Surpass powered but an electric conversion does not look too difficult. The biggest problem with building from a plan is getting the balsa. If you are interested I could send you a copy of the plan at cost if you are interested. Just PM me.

The Keith Humber one is on Outerzone together with David Boddingtons 45 inch one and others.

When I examined the Humber plan and a clubmates model I thought the tip dihedral was excessive compared to full size photo and I reckon the angle is correct but refers to the underside not top side - tapered wing tips cause this difference.

Thanks kc for the heads up on the dihedral. This model has been on my 'retirement build list' ever since I first saw it but still it has not got to the top of the list. After reading the comments on Outerzone I had a quick measure up of the formers on my copy of the plan and so far they look OK to me, including F3.

Hi Piers, that plan is the route of the problem. I built one back 1991/2 which was not the easiest of builds from that drawing. The canopy being the biggest problem.

I put an FP 35 up front and it flew a dream. I really liked the model. I flew it all year until the engine cut on take off, and broke the wing where the join is on the dihedral. I mended it but for some reason it would not take off, and when it did it was totally out of control. I was a novice back then, so pilot error all the way.

I couldn’t go through that again, hence seeing the DB model I went for that.

I still have the drawing but it’s a bit tatty now.

Tom

I thought Keith Humber's plan looked pretty challenging when I received my copy back in 1991 and interesting that you built a model from it Tom. Full sized Jodels have a rectangular section box spar which Keith simulated with his unusual wing construction but it must have been a pain cutting out the ribs. Not totally obvious once covered unless one is an anorak! I am glad to hear it flew well until it's accident. I have an OS 52 which would be suitable I think and nicer than an electric setup on this occasion although electric would be more reliable.

Your Robin looks like it is progressing nicely Roy. Yes errors on plans are sadly not uncommon, frustrating, and often part of the challenge!

That plan has given me sleepless nights. When I started it, I did the fuselage first. So I cut all the formers out and started to build, but I’m still convinced the largest 2 formers are not concentric on the drawing. Out they came and I reworked them.

The ends of the wings were interesting, to say the least. Then we came to the canopy, I finished up with Coke and water bottles cut up to fit. They never looked great to say the least.
I covered it in the same colours as the article, and on that faithful day at the field, I managed to persuade one of the instructors to have the first flight, and much to my surprise it just flew away with no problems. As a novice then I didn’t realise how pleased I should have been. Today I would have called it a pussy cat to fly.

If I built another one, I may need another lockdown to finish it, and I would sheet the canopy and just use a cream or black profilm rather than worry about clear plastic.

Now where can I buy some balsa sheets ................

Edited By Tom Flynn 1 on 11/01/2021 12:28:24

I thought I would add this picture of one I started years ago, and I have dragged it down will the idea of finishing it thanks to lockdown.

no Canopy, so I filled it in and will use a different colour film. The poly filler on the fuselage is a building error, where I was happily rubbing down in the garden on a windy day, and suddenly it was gone, laying on the patio in pieces, and I wasn’t going to start again. I still fancy The DB Sports model, which I’m noting to get for a while, but at least I have started having a go. Servo,s in the wing, not as the drawing. Plus OS46 upfront, also not as drawing which recommends a 4 stroke. I have made the rudder as per the DB model. Now I’m looking through my bits for a round tank as I prefer the Slec square tanks.

Tom

Plane.jpeg

• 1 year later...

Just thought I would add an update ref this topic.

the model I was finishing off, in the pictures,  I managed to complete.

I was quite pleased with my efforts. That was September last year.

So on the maiden flight, every fear of flying again after Covid came and haunted me. Although I had been flying several times

it didn’t , and still doesn’t feel as NORMAL.

the model took off as expected, but after being approx 5 feet off the ground it decided it wanted to be

back on the ground. So pilot error took over. Needless to say it went home in the infamous Tesco bag.

I did feel like jumping on it and finishing it off, but at my age although the rage was there, the effort was not.

So that was last October, so now in March I  am now half way through rebuilding it.

I have looked at the model on Sarik, but I can’t find any reviews, so I don’t know.

I have contacted DB  sports, and the poor bugger there has the same issues as every manufacturer worldwide, mainly no wood. So he has no idea when the Jodel will be produced again.

I rang Sussex Model regarding an Astro Hog, their answer was that that model has been on back order with Sig for over 2 years. They ring every week to get a status report, and again no wood is stopping any export sales.

So they have no idea if, or when, they will see this kit again.

My thoughts being that at my age, will I ever see any of these much loved kits again.

Tom, so sorry to hear of the demise of your Jodel on it's maiden - unlucky. ?. It seems the choice is to press on with the rebuild or go for the Sarik Hobbies, Duncan Hutson designed, short kit? You could always buy just the plan for now to see what the build entails. At least there is a cowl and canopy available too.

https://www.sarikhobbies.com/product/jodel-d112-68/
Pity the DB Sport and Scale kit is out of stock, I guess they are prioritising the more mainstream designs that sell?

Hi guys, thank you for your support. I have several models to fly, both ic and electric.

Acro Wot,  Ballerina, Super Sporster 40, easy street….
im not short of models.

l bought a Jodel years ago, and you know what’s it’s like, someone fancy’s your plane and offers you

a price and you let it go. Worst days work I ever did.

I have bought 2 on eBay, both electric, but they never flew like the IC model.

So off they went, so just as Covid hit I thought I may just as well buy a new one and build it as I want.

Well the rest is history.

• 2 months later...

I thought I would update you all on the subject, but after the last rebuild, and just looking at my Jodel for a while

I took it down the field this morning, and with much joy it flew.

im a very happy bunny at the moment. Several circuits and down.

some minor work to do, engine settings etc. 

But after trimming it out I’m happy.

• Like 2

I have had that same problem with this forum. I think the pictures are tagged with their orientation when taken. And you have to remove that EXIF tag. I have some free software called PhotoRazer that will do that. Sometimes you can also use paint, rotate the pic then save, doesn't always work for me but worth a try.

Cheers

Danny

All you have to do is take the photos then edit them (only have to say auto adjust lighting) and save them. If you then upload them they will be correct. I have an iPhone and don’t use any third party editing software just the native Apple photo edit.

Edited by Ron Gray