The Atom Bomber

It would be rude for me not to have a go at this years Mass build so here is my attempt,I hope to get it finished this year!

The Atom Bomber is a 1.5 times bigger Atom which will have bomb bay doors to give projectile dropping capabilities! I started from scratch with the drawings rather than copying the construction of its smaller brother. Mainly because the bomb bay needs to be around the CG so as not to disturb the balance, also  the need for bomb bay space was very limited so it will be a little fatter.

So the sloping mast has gone and I have moved the servos to the rear.

I have made a start today on the servo carrying formers/ mast mount, which is made up of a lite ply and balsa sandwich very much like the original.

A few snaps of my efforts:

4 servo holes, 2 for the head and a servo each for the bomb bay doors.

img_5308.jpg

img_5311.jpg

10 x 13mm spruce mast used to jig the parts together.

img_5312.jpg

6mm cross grain balsa used as an infill

img_5313.jpg

img_5315.jpg

Rich

Edited By Richard Harris on 03/06/2015 22:49:16

Not sure what blades will be used as yet, will work it out once I have a rough idea of its AUW.

A little more done on the bomber this evening, trial fitted the servos whilst it is easy to work with. A bit of fettling with a file had them sitting nice and snug, head servos are TP MG996R's and bay doors are Corona CS-929 MG's.

img_5321.jpg

img_5322.jpg

The top of the bomb bay slots into the main formers like so

img_5327.jpg

With another former slotting to the front of it

img_5329.jpg

Slotted into the front of this is the 6mm balsa battery tray, with a lower former added

img_5331.jpg

Rich

Rich,

I hadn't thought of loading from the top, loading from the underside was my initial thought with perhaps a Go Pro pointing directly down wards filming the bomb release and hopefully the direct hit!

Anyway, I have done a little more this afternoon starting with the fuselage sides made from 6mm balsa with the main former positions being marked on each.

img_5335.jpg

The sub assembly simply slots and is glued into place onto one fuselage sides

img_5339.jpg

The rear boom holder works along the same lines as the smaller version except this unit is sized to take 10mm square hardwood booms, in filled with scrap balsa. I also added hardwood servo bearers for the mounting screw to bite into.

img_5342.jpg

Sizing up the booms

img_5344.jpg

Then adding the top 3mm thick ply wood top to complete the sandwich

img_5345.jpg

This assembly slots into the rear former with the fuselage side completing the square mounting hole, may well make this removable with a couple of bolts securing.

img_5346.jpg

The bulkhead was then started, it is made up of 3mm lite ply laminations

img_5348.jpg

The UC has been kept simple and removable, being made from one length of 4mm piano wire it simply slots snug into the bulk head and will be clamped into position. Still plenty of room above it to mount the motor.

img_5350.jpg

Rich

Bulk head slots nicely into place and has been glued with epoxy, triangular section was then added fr extra strength.

img_5352.jpg

Noting that the vertical triangular balsa has been left 3mm short

img_5353.jpg

Leaving room for the final former to slot into place

img_5363.jpg

Had to scratch my head a little on the best way to make the bomb bay doors and decided to curve some 3mm balsa sheets, I first soaked them and left them in boiling water until it went cold which took about an hour. Then the wet sheets where taped around a suitable cylinder around the correct diameter and left to dry outside.

img_5355.jpg

Once dry they held their shape pretty well.

img_5357.jpg

Adding quadrant formers to match the inside bottom of the formers which were sanded square with an over hang left on each end.

img_5362.jpg

img_5358.jpg

Test fit on the fuselage to confirm they are close enough

img_5360.jpg

You will see there were a couple of curved off cuts, I will use these to plank the front lower section of the fuselage but that will wait for tomorrow.

img_5361.jpg

Rich

Edited By Richard Harris on 14/06/2015 18:42:31

Quite a productive couple of hours this afternoon.

Using the curved 3mm wood I managed to plank the front lower fuselage, it was certainly easier than using strips of flat and no filler needed!

img_5364.jpg

To the rear, this has been in filled with soft balsa block

img_5365.jpg

Full view

img_5366.jpg

And with the doors fitted

img_5369.jpg

And open

img_5370.jpg

img_5371.jpg

I was in two minds whether to make the canopy from blue foam or go with plastic bottles like the smaller version. The problem I have is that a canopy will be big and I don't know of a suitable bottles that are big enough. But then a thought, bombers generally have a pilot and a bomb aimer. So I will make a plug and cut it into two, then hopefully I can shrink two 3 litre cider type bottles over each and they will match up, well at least that is the plan as it stands! I have made up a plug from balsa, I have made a start but it still needs a lot of sanding.

img_5367.jpg

img_5372.jpg

Sat next to its smaller brother

img_5375.jpg

Rich

Looks pretty cool and a couple of ideas there I like (and will be pinching) wink

Was actually talking to myself last night painting the Cub in the garden when I realised the young girl living next door was outside having a smoke, probably giggling to herself at my inane conversation! I think I'll avoid talking to her for a while! blush

Danny,

Thanks for the kind comments, Greenacres will be here before we know it! how time flies

Chris,

Absolutely nothing wrong with talking to yourself, we all do it don't we Rich, yes Richwink 2

OK,

I sanded the main plug down to something near then cut it in half, added some extra balsa to give me a little extra to trim up. Front canopy is from a 2 litre pop bottle and the rear from a 3 litre cidar bottle, they have turned out ok but I will probably do them again as I am not really happy with the shape and finish of them. That said I think it will work.

Will have to go for a run down by the canal and scour for some more disposed bottles!!

img_5376.jpg

Rich

Edited By Richard Harris on 18/06/2015 13:33:38

Tim,

Camera trickery!

Bob,

I am unsure on the blade dimensions, this will be calculated once I have a better idea of what it's AUW will be.

I managed to pick up a few bits and pieces yesterday from Weston Park but not a motor as expected. Gone are the days of show bargains I'm afraid, well, for what I was after any way.

Should be able to grab a few evenings this week and crack on some more.

Rich

I made up the tail boom this afternoon, pretty much in the same way as the Atom just a bit bigger. Added some soft balsa blocking where it meets the fuselage and roughly sanded it until it matched the curve of the lower fuselage. This will be removable to ease transportation, like wise with the mast.

img_5388.jpg

I will add lite ply faces to the rear end of the tail boom to stiffen things up and give a good seat for the tailplane to be mounted on.

img_5381.jpg

Slots in nicely

img_5380.jpg

Roughly sanded to shape on the underside

img_5383.jpg

Not a bad fit but still needs fettling

img_5379.jpg

3mm balsa top decking was added aswell

img_5382.jpg

Shorter tail boom than the smaller version to give a bit more rigidity, but it is certainly has Atom genes!

img_5378.jpg

Rich

Looking great as ever Rich....

I am sure you have it covered but lloks like your servo brass ferrules are the wrong way round ??. Flanges should be against the model??

Took my Atom to Weston and late in the evening was going great until the motor threw a wobble.. cruising at 1/3 throttle i dont remember the shout.. "smoke on !!...." Quick land identified 3 of the coils black and a grating when rotated... New motor purchased and installed already. Interest from the other campers on site for the Whippit and this was non stop...

Steve

Steve,

Nice to hear you got some air time at Weston thumbs up, to be honest I have never thought about the brass ferrules and which way they go round as I have just inserted them from the top and clamped them down. Thinking about it now makes perfect sense to fit them from the underside, I will be doing this from now onsmile

Phil,

Plans are drawn up but I will have to alter them slightly as I am changing things as I go along embarrassed

Rich