Summer is here!!....Who's been flying??

Posted by john stones 1 on 12/06/2015 20:56:13:

Feels like summer to me Andrew i'm good with it hot

John

By 'eck...it must be cos tha's a yorkshire lad!!.....though to be honest, in West Yorkshire it's been blowin' a gale.Flew yesterday in high winds,stepped back,fell over,saved the Tx but crashed the Wot 4...never mind,it's fixed and will fly again.

Andrew

I managed to get a brief trip to the airfield this morning (just two hours), but got in the first three flights with my new HK Phoenix 2000. Straight out of the box, all I did was add the decals, a bit of a fiddle but worth the effort, and put in the servos for the flaps. Apparently some models come with them fitted, but mine didn't. Even so, remarkable value for money. It goes up like a homesick angel and soars beautifully, so clearly very long flights are possible from a 3S 1500 mah Lipo. There's been so much going on in recent weeks that I hadn't flown since late April, so this opportunity was very welcome. The rest of the weekend looks likely to be dismal.image.jpg

Posted by Percy Verance on 14/06/2015 08:18:38:

Probably a good move flying yesterday, as it's looking like steady rain today here in the Lakes.......

Happy days....... yes

And, here in sunny Spain yesterday............

........although we did manage to fly beforehand
Today, almost back to normal with sunshine and a light breeze.
Steve

Hi. Out this AM at 10 with my Sebart Angel and Pelican Ballet . Only had 3 flights as SWMBO wanted to go to Bath. Then out at 6 PM with Acrowot Foam E for 3 flights. Sorry ! No pics. Only 10 flights off 1000 logged flights now with 2 losses . Not too bad a loss rate ! One Bomber Command would have liked and perhaps Mossie's might have got close eh ? Colin

Summer's deffo on the way ............. eventually. Had numerous 'before-work' trips to the park with my UMX-Yak and an old Micro T28 last few weeks.

Flew a few bigger ones late last week too - Explorer and AcroWot; had the AW over a year now and only just starting to appreciate it. Still can't get used to it dropping it's nose when rudder s input though.

Saturday was nice - flew out 12 LiPos.........

Sunday pants but had 3 on the UMX-Yak this morning

Currently doing some rationalising and decommissioning a Webbit (never got on with it!), Nano Hawk EDF (too few occasions to fly) and a HK Spad - too heavy and unrewarding. And replacing the INversa 280 with a Viking as it's getting very scruffy.

Looks lovely today so going to finish early - hopefully.

GG

Hough End Clubs "Manchester Fun Fly" yesterday... intermittent drizzle and a wind that annoyingly kept changing direction but a good day was had by all, decent turnout of about 40 pilots including the jet boys from Wigan who brought down 4 or 6 jets - sadly my pathetic attempts at taking photos of aircraft in flight turned out many photos of apparently empty sky:

The BBQ Arriving

fun fly 002.jpg

The committee hard at work....

fun fly 006.jpg

Setting up

fun fly 005.jpg

Chris taking a break from burger flipping

fun fly 015.jpg

Almost missed it!

fun fly 017.jpg

The rest of my photos badly let down the event, but if you has a particular interest in either photos of clouds or blurred photos of aircraft let me know - I have loads!!!!

Got any pictures on that Gangster ? What size tank does it have ? Is it any good if it's breezy ? Only asking as my Wot trainer has a size 40 and it uses just over 1/4 of a tank in 15 mins. I'm looking for the next plane to get.

First time have uploaded photos so fingers crossed.

Seems to have worked.

Have myself just got back into rc flying and only just got my A certificate with a Junior 60. In the last nine months I have built up the following stock of models.

Junior 60

Fun cub

Adagio

Ez ultra

Visionnaire

Katana mini

Twisted hobby crack beaver

Wot 4 with a sc 52

The Gangster with Irvine 40

Fascinate

img_1471.jpg

Got stuck there.

To continue the Gangster is the very best in wind. On Sunday the Crack beaver which is a 3d epp foam job was just about making headway in the 10 to 15mph wind. The Gangster didn't even acknowledge there was a wind.

I have about a 10 oz tank in it but its far too big! Half the size would be ok.

Much easier to handle in the wind than the wot4(traditional balsa build)

The Gangster may be an old design but it dont get much better in mho.

The irvine is a bit noisy with an 11x 6 propeller and standard silencer so I have orderd up some Apc 10 x 9 to try and will experiment with a silencer extension.

Robin

Robin

Me and 3 fellow fliers were at Blyth's model clubs field last night from about 7pm.

It was a lovely warm night with 2 - 4 mph southerly winds.

I had 3 flights with my Dave Smith panther all around 12 minutes long smiley And also tried my Nexus heli that for the last 10 years is brought out once every few months and works without a problem but today it decided to strip the main gear crying Now trying to get a replacement one without having to pay three times the original cost.

baz

They say accidents always happen in groups of 3, could be true. On that basis I am on my second of this series. I am not looking forward to the next.

Although the Beeb weather forecast had predicted poor weather on Saturday and I was not going to be allowed out to play on Sunday. i had not got much ready, although, as usual my Delta was ready to go, and reluctantly i took the PZ Stinson.

I always start a session with the Delta, not being able to play on Sunday, only having 2 models and no spare Lipos, i mentally went for it right from the off.

In the still air, I breathed a sigh of relief that I got the model away without any excitement. So into a out circuit, rolled the model onto its back, for an inverted pass, and promptly crashed. In the blink of an eye, I had managed to get the model into a vertical dive, which continued until I lost sight of it.

I took a bearing, shouted on the field. stomped of across it, with the advice ringing in my ears that could be in the river. The outer field now is covered in waist high grasses, nettles and other foliage, that hinders progress. I finally made it to the first point where the field drops away to the river. In the space of a few weeks, a whole series of bushes blocked the way stretching for some 100m or so. I started to work my way around, although the grasses and other stuff was even higher and tangled. Ever the adventurer I fought my way in the direction i suspected the model to be, to be halted by the ever taller and stronger plants which donated the point where the ground fell away steeply one final time to a flood bank. At this point I knew that I would not just come across the model, it could well be gone for ever.

After a few moments thought, I knew I needed my Tx in the hope that the model was still working, if there was to be any chance. I was also becoming aware that the nettles had penetrated my trousers and my shirt.

Back at the pits, I picked up the Tx, switched on, asked our jungle guide which was the best way onto the flood plane. Rather unselfishly he decided he would be my guide, together with another of our club, we walked back. Once more we fought our way to where i thought it lay. The guide said, that we could not get down the slope at this point, certainly not at this time of year. After a detour through even denser bushes, we then turned once more towards the river. Although the the slope was less severe, the foliage was now incredibly dense, well above head height, the ground hiding irregularities and bits of trees. We all fell over a number of times, in some cases needing a hand to be able to regain our footing.

Once we were in the general region, I actuated the control surfaces, nothing could be heard above the drone of the insects. I then opened the throttle, and heard the motors start. We now knew for certain, the model was not in the river, and some idea that it was near by. After several similar motor ons, we found the model. Completely intact, arrested by the jungle foliage as it crashed in vertically.

The walk back was much easier, there now being a path to follow.

Back in the pits I now contemplated my multiple stings, that were a real irritant, plus I was hot, sticky and pretty dirty.

Did I go home, oh, no, I flew firstly the Delta,  then the  HZ Stinson, very cautiously, then went home for a though shower, change of clothes. All of Saturday evening and night my legs throbbed from the stings, most uncomfortable.

The up side is that I have now repaired my trainer, partially recovered and a myriad of other minor damages repaired. This is the model before sanding and covering.

6 leftdrm.jpg

6rightdrm.jpg

Hopefully i will be out with the trainer tomorrow, although we are scheduled for rain again according to the beeb

Edited By Erfolg on 16/06/2015 19:44:34

Edited By Erfolg on 16/06/2015 19:46:18

After a very long spell of deprivation I finally got to my club strip today. Wind 10mph gusting 20mph and 45 to 90 degrees across the strip! Otherwise a nice sunny day!

Adopt, adapt, improvise - the Seagull (electric) Spacewalker stayed in the van!

The Wot4 XL with it's ASP120FS lump at the front came out and we had a very exciting time - throughly enjoyed it and no damage. devil

Glad I didn't just go home.

No-one else turned up

smiley!