Recovering the F-86 Sabre

Morning All,

I have mentioned in other threads (PSSA meets) that I have started the renovation of F-86 Sabre, this is a model I picked up from a fellow forumite some time ago and it has done a fair few flights since then. The covering is starting to look a little rough in places and I really enjoy flying her, so time for a change of clothes.

So I have so managed to strip the wings, with the help of my 2 year old (he liked this job!) to a reasonable degree, but not completely stipped yet. The ailerons need to come off and get done, as does the trailing edge.

Once that is done I intend to fill and patch the wing, and inset some magnets or steel strips to allow for the later addition of drop tanks (longer term project!), then glass cloth and Poly C with some lightweight cloth I have. I then intend to re-colour.

While all that is going on I also need to strip, inspect, repair recover and colour the fuselage. I think the fuselage bottom sheeting behind the wing seat is tarting to come away from the sub-frame so may need some work, as may the tail.

I hope to have it all done by the September PSSA meeting in South Wales, but will depend on other things, like getting the garden done!

Right - the new colour scheme....

will be posted once I upload it into my albums....

I have been in touch with Tim at Model Markings who is working up a quote for both 'stickers' and a paint mask for me.

Either option I will need to look at how I put that 'gloss gold' finish onto the majority of the airframe. I am very tempted to try out one or more of my bulk spraying tools, the other option is to use spray paints in a can.....not sure which will work best....

Having done a bit more digging I have discovered that the original paint manufacturers for the gold are still going! They are even still making the original Light Gold paint, to the original mix!

They will even ship small quantities. The only fly in this otherwise great and golden ointment is that they are Canadian, and I don't know about international shipping.... I have emailed them and eagerly await a response.

Thanks Andy - Will see you in September hopefully.

I was actually only looking for the RAL number of the paint to get a match, but a site run by a RCAF static modelling enthusiast lists the colour and links to the manufacturer so I thought it was worth a look!

If the cost is reasonable I will look at getting a small amount of the gold (enough to do the model and extended tanks if/when I build them), and then I thiink transfers from model-markings will be the way to go with the rest, all finished with a couple of coats of Poly-C over the top for protection.

First thing is to 'finish' the garden to get space and time to do more modelling. I will then look at putting the first laer of glass and Poly-C on the wings, stipping the ailerons while it dries, then more Poly C there, cover ailerons etc. in essence while things dry I want to be working on something else to achieve as much as possible in the limited time lumps I am likely to get.

I will hopefully have her ready for September, but can't commit!

Olly

Posted by Andrew Price 2 on 30/07/2015 11:24:27:

This model is going to look sooo good when it's done. Sept not long to wait for a video of the "maiden"!

I'll do my best, but don't over-egg the pudding!

I love flying the Sabre, and if the covering wasn't getting a bit worn I'd have kept flying her as she was, but as I need to re-cover her it is worth changing the frock slightly and I've always loved this colour scheme.

Andy - drop tanks are longer term - I'll be going some to have the airframe done for September, never mind bells and whistles.

Key is going to be when I can get time to do it - something that is very limited at the moment, but might get into the shed for a bit this evening and get the ailerons split from the wing.

Posted by Olly P on 31/07/2015 16:45:15:

OK Wing as it was a little while ago:

20150731_155142.jpg

20150731_155159.jpg

The problem I am encountering is that the film is peeling away and leaving the colour behind it. This is even worse on the fuselage.

How do I get this off, do I need to?

Apply some parcel tape to the remaining film shards and remnants, burnish well down and then pull the tpe off briskly. Experiment with the angle of the pull, and the speed of the pull - you will be surprised at the amount of the residual film that you can remove by this method. A little heat applied to the tape is optional, but can also help. When you have the bulk of the colour off a little work with sandpaper can get rid of the rest. Best not to use solvents, it will only drive the colour further into the wood.

Here's some pictures of the technique in use (posted previously).

Ickymess

Parcel Tape

Tape removed

• 2 years later...

Well, holy thread resurrection Batman!

I managed to get 30 minutes in the shed over the weekend and make some space, and have a couple of days off to prep for the meet this weekend.

I have changed my mind on the paint scheme and will run a live update/guessing game as i get it done. The priority will be to get as much of the covering off as I can and then get the wings sealed ready for the 'fabric' and Poly C Layer.

The biggest problem is likely to be the fuselage as it appears to have been partially painted directly, so sanding will be the way forward, especially on the nose as I want lighter colours there.

If I can get the wings stripped and the first layer on then, weather dependant, I may use some of the decking area in the garden to let them dry while I prep the fuselage.

Other problems - the Canopy, when I trimmed it to replace the old damaged one, appears to be have been cut slightly undersize, and the cockpit is currently empty - I don't like this look but may have to live with it for this weekend. If I can't replace the canopy then fitting out the cockpit may hide the problem in the future, but time may prevent this for the weekend, so the canopy may be temporary attachement to allow fitting out in the future.

Right, ordered stuff on Saturday, delivery notification saying it would be delivered this morning. Note left - left in shed. Not there.

This was the sanding sealer and lightweight glass cloth for the model. Wednesday is now under threat, but I can't do Thursday off work as I need to be in...

Anyone know where i can collect Lightweight Fibreglass cloth (approx 3m^sq) near Stockport after 4:30pm tomorrow?

Posted by onetenor on 15/08/2017 02:10:28:

Have you got onto thr couriers to chase it up. Get the driver to show where he left it.. He may have hidden it somdwhere

Yep, used the live chat and eventually spoke to a human this morning - apparently they will send the driver back to make sure he left it at the right house. How that will help as I'm at work I do not know. nor did they take any information to allow them to contact me with an update.

He has stated in the shed, but as he has a choice of 3 and it is in none of them....

Looks like I'm sending the misses out shopping today.

Well, that has been partially resolved - i have the package.

We have 3 sheds and a small cupborad at the front of the house. 1 shed is locked, the others are not (bin stores).

Do you, as a courier driver with a parcel:

a) place it in an unlocked shed or cupboard?

b) force the locked sheds lifting lid up, distorting the plastic frame and disengaging the locking mechanism by damaging the plastic into which the lock catch fits, perminantly damaging the shed in the process. Then drop the package onto the floor.

I didn't even look in the locked one. I didn't expect that level of foolishness....

Still covering can commence tomorrow while the courier sorts my replacement shed. Not looking forward to those several hours of work.

Sanding first as well Andy... Infact how long the fuselage takes to sand will dictate how much i get done tomorrow - I think the wings will bew quite quick, as there isn't much colout left - the centre section needs the work more than the rest. If I can get this done quick I can buy some time back, and then I can use the compressor to 'blow' off the dust and then tac rag before I start the glassing.

I have a plan which measn the drying time will not be dead - I'll be using the time as best I can.

I'm going to give it ago - no promises mind!

I'm off tomorrow, in work thursday and off friday - If i can get the full a/c glassed tomorrow I'll be very happy....

I also need to think about wing fixing - not sure if I want to go for wing bolts instead of the current wing bands - I do like wing bands for the slope, but need to dig some out!

Edited By Olly P on 15/08/2017 16:00:53

Progress update:

Stripping completed and sanding sealer has now been applied to all of the air-frame parts, and has just finished drying on the last of them.

The wings have a full layer of glass cloth and poly-C which I am just allowing to dry, I will be going out to do second coat of Poly-C in just a minute.

The fuselage and control surfaces are likely to not get poly-c'd today so that might be a job for tomorrow evening, leaving me Friday to paint.