Hi all,

At first, sorry for that but *** WARNING *** this will be a Ultra low-fi, low end thread by a newbie !

So why this thread ??? : FVP is usually associated with hight end HD footages.

dsc_0023.jpg

I came into FPV world for only some weeks and ...

... it's TERRIFIC ! One of the most exciting things I ever lived !!!

dsc_0025.jpg

So i'd just  like to :

1- share my excitement,

2- encourage the one who could think it's too complicated to get in,

3- and (main aim and perhaps more interestingly) share and comment my technical newbie's specs.

FPV tech is (for me) not totally obvious. And I thought it could perhaps help to share things and solutions that worked.

henri

dsc_0024.jpg

PS : Sorry for that not-related-pictures but I think posts are always more fun with pictures. Here is one of my new holidays flying field Bidart-south of France (LOS only, my skills do not allow me yet lone FPV).

Edited By Henri Squier on 05/08/2015 10:16:53

First set :

bixler.jpg

sony 600.jpg

boscam 200.jpg

diversity.jpg

mush.jpg

Choice comments :

I chose Bixler vs multiplex easystar because of price and the fact I knew I will crash (as first FPV plane).

I chose Boscam vs Eachine because I thought brand would be better.

Arbitrarily, I used a 2.8 mm lens (86° as it seemed to be a standart.

I used camera board vs Mobius or Gopro for first test because of 1/ price and 2/ I read somewhere there was some latency issues.

Assembly comments :

Bixler is perfect EXCEPT out of balance prop witch is on 2 mm shaft (??!!) and (totally) non easy switchable engine.

I can attest to the fact all electronics worked perfectly right out off the box (!), magic.

As I read some where there could be some interference issues with engine lipo I mounted separate power supply.

Real life testing :

- Although Bixler's wing loading is low I was surprised by it's quite fast flying (as first FVP plane I would have been happier with a slower one). I understand now why they advise flaps.

- Even though propeller out of balance flying is Ok (but ugly noise), engine power is ok.

- All in all Bixler is Ok. Easy to repair (polyurethane glue) always in the air even after two serious nose crash. 

- Nothing to say with flying : easy and predictable.

- Nothing really to say with Video link. Up to me Boscam 7'' monitor is very nice : very clear, nice and bright image.

Very few interference when flying.

Effective range =  900 m : means security range is 600-700 m.

Sorry I have to leave, next will be my - FPV experience comments

henri

Edited By Henri Squier on 05/08/2015 16:25:24

So,

FPV flying experience and comments :

- Sony 600TVL WDR gave nice pictures, zero latency, perfect sun light management.

- I didn't feel "cramped" with the 2.8 mm lens.

- Flying was quite easily manageable with only the 7'' monitor (biggest problem is sun refelction on the screen).

- Surprisingly, once the Bixler in the air, flying in itself appeared to be easy, feeling "at home" in seconds.

- The biggest flying (streering) issues I had (leading to big crashes) was aileron and rudder inversion when I saw me on the screen (!!!).

- Flying (plane) chalenges were (and always are) : 1/ get used to distances estimation 2/ feel "pre-stall" situations.

- IMPOSSIBLE to fly alone : It's very hard to find where the plane is when you get your eyes out off the screen.

- Biggest initial flying issue was to get lost !!! Even thought I'm flying in this place for over 10 years I totally (re)-discovered it once in the air.

And ...

I will not forget the essential : touching with finger tips my dream :

duxf.jpg

Even though I'm very, very, very far from this kind of experience, my first FPV flight was credited by a tremendous "WAOUHH". Yes, a real big one.

If like me you have this dream and If you're wondering getting in FPV or not : don't hesitate. I can testify it's quite easily achievable.

I went in July to the Duxford air show ...

p1010226.jpg

p1010489.jpg

... after this show it obviously became imperious I will have to feed by some way my dream to fly a warbird.

So, I got in FPV.

henri

Edited By Henri Squier on 06/08/2015 13:22:29

Henri, I'm a bit of a FPV newbie as well, using some Fatshark googles, I've done fixed wing with a Ranger Ex, flying is quite easy, the difficult bit is judging speed and height when landing FPV and that's when I've found I need the extra eyes. Just transferred the kit to a 250 quad, and getting the hang of this, bit a little bit of over confidence saw my argue with a tree, still 3 props later it's back ready to fly embarrassed. Admiration to the guys who do the FPV racing.

Hi Frank,

At first thanks for the comment.

I do agree with you. As a newbie it's hard to believe James JAB (for instance) (post 10/07/2015) can achieve this kind of flight just with training ... I think they rather come from another planet.

I tried a 250 quadcopter and began, more or less, to manage all aspects of flight in LOS ... but I finally found out, after the Duxford show, flying fixed wings was what I really was looking for.

And same with you the challenge is to judge speed and distances, although I could start trying landing practice (hear : no more need for extra eyes) after more or less 10 flights.

You say you have Fatshark googles (I will share my QUANUM V2 Headset next post) :

One of my problem with getting googles is I can't test them and at 400 euros the googles I prefer to avoid errors.

Did you have problem to use them ?

I have a wide IPD (69 mm) and I am nearsighted (don't see well far away) and begin to be longsighted !!!! Do you think this could be an issue ?

henri

Edited By Henri Squier on 06/08/2015 18:30:46

SECOND SET :

Multiplex Funman :

dsc_0036_1.jpg

p8020302.jpg

Eachine low cost set (CMOS cam) :

eachine.jpg

p8020433.jpg

and after sony effio 650TVL CCD cam:

sony 650.jpg

and Quanum headset 2 :

quanum.jpg

p1010834.jpg

Choice comment :

- I didn't really chose the Funman. I already had it as holidays plane. As I was stuck with FPV I just asked myself if it could work...

- In the jungle of FPV tech difficult to know what really worth the money we spend : So let's try the cheapest and see ...

- The real aim of this is : **LINK**

So I wanted a more immersion feeling even thought flying with only the 7'' Boscam monitor was possible. Possible but not convenient (sun glare). I couldn't resolve to buy a 400 euros googles without trying them. As the GETFPV Head set is not yet available the Hobbyking QUANUM head set was a good alternative.

Put together comment :

- The Funman appeared to be a very convenient FPV platform.

- Nothing to say with electronics : every thing worked perfectly right out of the box !!!

- I used engine power supply to feed the video system (via equilibration plug) in order to save weight on this little plane.

Edited By Henri Squier on 06/08/2015 22:02:11

Henri, I bought the Predator 2 googles in the bundle with the 25mw transmitter etc from HK (for about £200), I'm also very shortsighted (-7!) and need varifocals, but with the -6 adaptors (extra) in the googles I can see quite well, but I may also try DIY googles you show as well.

I've also got a Funman so I might also FPV that as well.

Test comment :

- Surprise N 1 : Even though small the Funman IS a very good FPV platform. Alone it flies perfectly, and with the FPV gear it's the same ! It's gentle and flies slower than the Bixler. I manage yesterday one FPV landing with my daughter's help.

- Absolute no interference between ESC, engine and video even at full throttle (no separate video power supply).

- The cheap CMOS cam DOES NOT handle front sun light like the Sony CCD. Up to me because of it relatively blindness when facing the sun it's NOT usable for safe FPV.

- The quality of the Sony CCD board became obvious when compared to this cheap Eachine CMOS.

- The Sony Effio 650TVL (vs the 600TVL WDR) have the same very good (up to me) front sun light management : even with front sun you always have a workable picture. The colors are perhaps less nice, 650TVL adds undoubtedly in definition. Always zero latency.

- The Eachine 200 mW Tx is smaller and lighter than the Boscam 200 mW. With same antenna set the range is exactly the same : in a hilly country 800 m before loosing signal. The only difference I noticed is than the Eachine is getting very hot (and explain the mounting I made) whereas the Boscam remains cool.

just for a break, here my second holidays flying field (left to tight shot) :

p1010826.jpg

p1010827.jpg

p1010828.jpg

p8010282.jpg

p8010288.jpg

- sorry for ultra low-fi quality of pics -  me and daughter between prop and car.

p8010292.jpg

- The Quanum screen is 5'' and has a lesser quality than the Boscam. But still very usable.

- Up to me the immersion feel and the quality of view of the Quanum is very good, very comfortable *** but warning *** I never tested googles.  Except for the screen quality I don't feel the need fro an immediate upgrade : hear get googles "as soon as possible".

- When I remember my flights i'm "in the plane" not remembering an image on a screen.

- No problem with my glasses.

- When will come the time it will be very difficult to choose between the LUMINER Headset (hight end HD screen) VS expensive googles especially if I can't test them.

Thanks for watching, hope that could help.

henri

PS : thanks Frank for reply, may I ask if you had IPD issue with Predator 2 ?

Edited By Henri Squier on 06/08/2015 23:00:52

Edited By Henri Squier on 06/08/2015 23:02:28

Edited By Henri Squier on 06/08/2015 23:03:13