Electric power setup for a Flair Puppeteer

Geoff Gardiner

Hi All.

I have recently obtained a second hand Puppeteer and am in the process of converting it to an electric setup.

pup 1.jpg

I have been looking for a rough guide to the relationship between power increase to increasing prop size – so that I don’t have to spend a fortune on loads of different prop sizes.

This is what I have:

Motor – Turnigy G60 – 300kv

Battery – Lipo 5Cell 4000mah 45C

ESC – 80 Amp (separate bec)

All up weight – 3482g (7.68lb)

I initially thought I would need around 750-800W (using the 100W per 1lb rule) but I believe Mr Danny Fenton managed to fly a 9lb Puppeteer on 330W!

I have tried 2 props, which gave the following readings on the wattmeter:

14x7 APC e - 215W – 11A

14x8 APC e – 300W – 15.4A

Can anyone advise what to try next as I don’t want to keep buying props at £12-15 a go.

I can physically go to about 17inch before I turn it into a lawn mower.

I was hoping someone had produced a rough guide to % increase in power as you step up prop sizes and pitch.

Any advice gratefully received.

Geoff…

Sadly, I think you fundamental problem is that your motor kv is too low. The theoretical max rpm on 5S is only about 6000 rpm (300 x 18.5 = 5550) so you need bigger props to get the power you need. The 500kv version draws about 47 amps on a 13x8 (or perhaps a 14x7) which would suit your needs according to HK. Unfortunately, it's on backorder in the UK warehouse (isn't that often the case? ). Might be cheaper than buying a load of props and save this motor for a 6S battery - or use that in your Puppeteer?

HK claim only a 17 amp draw on 5S with a 15x8 prop (306 watts) with a thust of 1950 grams with the G60 300kv. In fact none of the claimed figures seem to give a lot of power, even on 6s.

It might be better to bite the bullet and get a different, higher kv motor than try to compensate by fitting a much bigger prop. The Puppeteer is a fairly slow flying model which really needs a propeller with a pitch at the lower, rather than than the high end of the range - 6 or 7? I would have said your 14x7 would be ideal with a suitable motor?

Geoff

Geoff, I would agree with the other Geoff above about trying another motor. All I would add is that you won't need 100W/lb for this type of model to achieve a respectable and realistic performance. From my experience with the (smaller and lighter) Flair SE5A, which flies well on less than 400W, I'd say 500-600 will be ample.

Thanks for your replies.

I am hoping not to have to change motor or batteries so I thought I would try a different prop first.

I had seen a youtube clip of a pup using the same motor with 6S battery but a 14x6 prop, and it flew rather well.

I had a go on eCalc but did find the figures (for the props I had already put the meter on) coming out quite a bit lower for the power estimate. Using this and my 'best guess', I have just been to my LMS and purchased a 17x8 APC e.

This is giving me 430W - 22A at full chat. More importantly, it nearly rips my arm off trying to hold it back.

Tomorrow's weather looks promising so I think I will try it with this setup and see what happens - fingers crossed.

Geoff...

P.S. Does anyone use differential on the ailerons (less down than up, i believe)?

Ken, I prefer the term "one of our more senior club members". teeth 2

Actually the Puppeteer's a bit heavier & bulkier than the Magnatilla so I'd expect it to need a fair bit more power.

FWIW my Maggie's power train is a 4s lipo, Turnigy 3548/900 (old version), 60A esc & 12x6 APC prop. The lipos originaly used were 20C rated 4000s but recently I've been using 30C rated 2650s. Numbers with the 4000 lipos are : 99oz AUW, at WOT : 31A, 460W, 8700rpm.
The model previously flew powered by an original version OS40FS & a, slightly more powerful, pre-schnuerle Super Tigre 40 both driving a Graupner grey 11x6 prop. It gained about 16oz in the over-engineered conversion to electric but is actually more sprightly. I suspect that the extra inch has made a big difference to the prop's effective thrust given the size of the cowl.

That seemed to fly with sufficient authority and actually quite fast. It certainly took off very quickly which would imply that there's sufficient power. It would be interesting to know what rpm you're getting with that huge prop. How long was the flight? Your video is obviously edited so it's not clear.

It rather looks as if the Puppeteer would loop easily from level flight. Did you try that? Mine flew OK with an Irvine Q40 which are known for not only being quiet and quite torquey as well but I can't remember what prop I used, possibly a 12x6 but certainly at much higher rpm than you're getting.

Nice model.

Geoff

Having had a chance to think, I am wondering if I may have an issue with one of my batteries. I have 3 identical Zippy's. One is brand new and the other two are maybe a couple of years old. The older ones have only been used once before the model they were being used in 'took early retirement'. They have held charge, cells balance and show no signs of puffing.

When flying my Pup, I set the timer for 7 minutes. The first (maiden) flight seemed to be more of a struggle to take off and I was having to use close to full throttle most of the time. Once landed, I checked the battery (which was quite warm) and it was showing 50% used. The other two flights, with the other batteries, seemed to have more power on tap and I was using less throttle (the video is of the second flight). The batteries had only used 20% and were not warm at all.

I will keep an eye on my batteries and see what happens next time out.

It could be that your older batteries are suffering from a high effective series resistance (esr). A typical battery can be considered as a perfect battery with a series resitance. It's current flowing through the series resistance that makes it get hot and also causes a voltage drop so there's a lower voltage supply to your motor. A reasonably good LiPo has a series resistance of around 5 milliohms or lower but that can increase as the battery ages. That won't show up with a simple check of capacity.

So a good battery will drop 5 milivolts/amp (150mv for 30 amps) and disipate 900mW at 30 amps because the power is proportional to the current squared. If you know anyone with an icharger then that will tell you the esr of your battery packs.

Geoff

• 1 year later...

Coming a bit late into this one (a LOT late!).

I owned a Magnatilla, that was very pleasant to fly, and had more than enough performance on a Merco 40. I have also test flown two Puppeteer, I am sure both had Super Tigre 60, and I would have preferred more power "to get out of trouble".

I see the Magnatilla as a 4S model at around 450 to 500W, and the Puppeteer as a 6S model at around 700 to 800W.

Motors of around 300kv, I would have been selecting as a part of 8S power systems... But if it works for you on 5S, that is clearly fine.

Regards,

John

• 1 year later...