The UK Drone Racing Nationals 2015 Final Race

The UK Drone Racing Nationals were held on the 30th August 2015 at RAF Barkston Heath Nr Grantham, Lincolnshire. The event is the first one like this held in the UK with the top three pilots qualifying for a chance at the World Drone Championship 2016 in Hawaii, USA.

In true British style the wind was blowing strong and patchy rain but this did not stop the fun. The day was so good with highlights like having Mr Cleanflight himself (+Dominic Clifton) as my spotter in one of the Semi finals and of course getting 1st place at the end of the day.

I would like to congratulate the three other pilots I had the honour to race against in the Final, all day they consistently showed amazing skills and jaw dropping next level speeds. Also all the other amazing pilots that competed on the day made this event one to remember. After hearing they were all down during the race I tried to stay calm and slow down just to finish the laps as I was physically shaking from the pressure and adrenaline.

Huge thank you to FPVLeague.co.uk for recording this footage and more thanks goes to the commentary on the Live stream that this video takes its source from.

RAF Barkston Heath Nr Grantham, Lincolnshire, UK

Conditions:
Windy with rain

Well Matt - you'll have to take that up with the UK Champion - ie the OP. I think he's earned the right to call them anything he wants to! smile

Well done James - I was spectating at the semi-finals and the final itself - so I saw your victory! Excellent accurate flying - what is it they say "In order to finish first, first you have to finish!" And you proved that in spades.

Many congratulations - hope you get to go to Hawaii!

BEB

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 02/09/2015 21:50:31:

Well Matt - you'll have to take that up with the UK Champion - ie the OP. I think he's earned the right to call them anything he wants to! smile

Well done James - I was spectating at the semi-finals and the final itself - so I saw your victory! Excellent accurate flying - what is it they say "In order to finish first, first you have to finish!" And you proved that in spades.

Many congratulations - hope you get to go to Hawaii!

BEB

Thank you so much BEB I can't say I had a pace any where the same as the other three pilots but after I heard the first one go down I slowed down to go steady and calm but once I heard all three were down then the nerves really took a beating lol It was such a great event only possible due to all the awesome pilots, organisers and spectators like yourself smiley

@KingKade Thank you always nice to see your comments

@Matt Jones, I use the word Drones as this event had to fit in line with the 'World Drone Racing Championship' with (I think so far) 16 countries all running "Drone Nationals' to find the competitors for the grand final event in Hawaii. I think as long as the word 'Drone' is used on a positive post/thread then it can't do any harm but it would not of been my chosen term for quads

• 2 weeks later...
Posted by David Ashby - RCME on 03/09/2015 12:04:15:

Congratulations James. I spent some time at the FPV racing and was very impressed with the speed of the machines and the skills on display. Great to see this at the Nats.

Thank you David, glad you had a good time and made the long trek over to the FPV Racing, it was a great day but next time I will bring a lawn mower with me for the track It was so great to see the public crowded round the FPV Feed screen and hearing them react to the pilots moves.