SJ7000 1080P Sport Video Camcorder

Haven't been on here for a while and the weather has screwed up much of my model flying this year. But I have been doing a bit of paragliding and those clips have usually gone down well on here.

Main reason for posting though is I was sent one of the SJ7000 for tests and was very impressed, especially at £40 UK, ($59) posted. Not he ideal shape for RC conventional aircraft, but a good alternative to GoPro's for Quads. My review is here and includes a bit of flying (paragliding) in Wales this week. There's a buying link in the YouTube page.

• 2 months later...

Hi Bob.Thanks for an excellent video posting here. I have been putting off buying a new camera for some time but my old FlyCamOne has now died and after looking about this looks by far the best deal for quality features and value. As you say not an ideal shape for a model (unless FPV drone) but you cant have it all ways. What finally made up my mind was the Aldi action camera offering (3rd Dec) which gives you so much LESS for be it less £30... No contest. This camera will also be ideal for me as I have a kayak now - no good for a FlyCam!...

Just on passing I have to agree with you about the chin mount for flying the paraglider - in my youth have done Hang Gliging, Paragliding and Paramotoring and I only gave up the latter in 2004 after the wife put her foot down after 20 years of accident free flying so now I play with model planes with my feet on the ground - grounded by the wife so to speak...

Again thanks for the posting and I look forward to my camera coming from Gearbest who I have often used and found to be quick to supply. Regards Peter

Glad it was useful. Ex hangie/pg/paramotor eh! I've been flying about 12 years or so and have had a couple of 'moments'. Have thought about packing in a couple of times. Was in the French Alps for 6 weeks this summer and it was rough as rats this year. Drought, heat wave. Not very enjoyable. One of the roughest landings I've ever had, and that was after 1930 in the evening. Thought I was going to get hurt. Saw a middair in Grand Bornand. But had one of my best heights I think. 8600 feet asl There's video of this years French road trip on my YouTube channel. And the midair which I managed to video from the air.

Funny enough I haven't flown models for a while but have been checking out my LiPos and fired up a glow model today that hasn't been run for a couple of years. To my surprise the fuel was still OK (in the container)  If we get a half decent day I'll take a trip to the model club field, don't think I've been this year but still paying my subs!

I had a dislocated shoulder from pg, not a crash, just severe traction pulled my arm out of the socket. But 4 days in hospital when my thumb had an encounter with a fast moving prop. 90% chopped thru the end, inc bone! Stainless pin down the bone in the 1st op to hold it together. Lucky to keep it in fact. Model flying can be dangerous. I was ultra careful today when firing up a 40. Slow and methodical. I kept repeating to myself 'safe working practices'! Think I created a thread on here about the accident.  I'm more nervous about model flying since that accident , well tuning glow engines I guess, than paragliding nowadays.

I have flown a lot with the 16 HD key cam which until recently was my favourite camera. The one with the D lens is great. But I've tested a few action cams the last few weeks and the SJ7000 came out better that some more expensive ones and is one I fly with now. If the sun shines tomorrow I'm going to motorbike with the gyro stabilised Firefly S6 and the SJ7000 as a comparison test. The Firefly doesn't have a screen and is more designed for quads.

I saw a cheapo action cam in Lidl the other day, but I do wonder about video quality of some of these supermarket specials.

Good luck with camera and if you are in Brixham come and say hello. Or Torbay model flying club!

Bob

I've tested 4 action cams last few weeks, some more expensive and I think the SJ7000 comes out on top.

PS  edit..  The flying trip is here ... the flying sites shots , landing fields and air to air video with a 16 key chain with a glued on ).67 wide lense. In town was a normal video camera.

Edited By Bob Moore on 03/12/2015 21:10:09

Edited By Bob Moore on 03/12/2015 21:11:26

Edited By Bob Moore on 03/12/2015 21:13:58

Edited By Bob Moore on 03/12/2015 21:18:48

Edited By Bob Moore on 03/12/2015 21:19:09

Edited By Bob Moore on 03/12/2015 21:22:39

Edited By Bob Moore on 03/12/2015 21:24:01

Hi Bob.

Great video - also know what its like to get the adrenalin shakes after a very rough flight - worse I had was in Lanzerotte - all that black rock makes great rough thermals that can give you brown pants...

Liked the video a lot and just a thought when starting a model engine I never use my finger anymore as far better to use an electric starter which will do up to 25cc - use a 12v standard starter and shove 24v into it and only use it for a short burst - not burnt mine out yet in 11 years...

Regards and thanks again - miss the sport ( liked being an Adrenalin junkie).

Peterwink