FPV Racing ride along with David Jason

Hi All,
I had the great honour of meeting Sir David John White, OBE (Stage name David Jason AKA Derek "Del Boy' Trotter from TV series 'Only fools and horses'. He was such a great chap to meet and have a chat with and I jumped at the chance to show him this new technology and hear his reactions to FPV Racing.

The plan was to stage a small race between myself and the biggest smile in FPV 'Badlands', I planned to stay close behind Badlands to get some awesome close proximity shots. The wind was very strong and caused a few wobbles but the plan went well and David got a smooth ride up until the end. Sadly a generator was running near us which drowns some of the sound out.

DougC was acting as our spotter during this event with Mike Elliott adding some commentary for the benefit of David. Thank you guys.

Huge thank you to Horizon Hobby UK for putting on this awesome event, every facet of the RC world was covered by some of the courtiers top hobbyists in attendance, the first UK Airmeet for Horizon Hobby.
**LINK**

Huge thank you to Leamington Hobby Centre for the awesome venue and for getting in a rowing boat to recover my Spanky 5 quad from the RC boat lake. Check out their site:
**LINK**

The amazing FPV Racing course was provided by the brilliant chaps at HoverSpeed RC, their support and passion for this hobby has helped so many, check out their website for more:
**LINK**

This flight was using the GensAce Tattu 1300mAh 75C 4s lipo, the performance is incredible and the consistent high discharge rate shows very little voltage sag during the whole flight, check out their website for awesome products:
**LINK**

This flight was recorded using the Runcam HD F2.8 camera, the quality of the image and reliability makes it a winner for racing and adventures, check out their site for more info:
**LINK**

Leamington Hobby Centre, near Warwick, UK

Conditions:
Strong winds but sunny

The thought of using these at a nudest beach lol

Not sure who had more fun here

Such a great chap, pictured here is also Mike Elliott

Team photo while Banni UK shows his freestyle skills

Awesome track setup by HoverSpeed RC, FPV Mecca

Chasing DougC at sunset

Chasing DougC at sunset

Chasing DougC at sunset

Chasing DougC at sunset

Chasing DougC at sunset

Chasing DougC at sunset

Chasing DougC at sunset

Chaos on the track Part 1

Chaos on the track Part 2

New HoverSpeed RC Racing Pylon being setup

LHC and HoverSpeed RC Team photo

Mike Brewer (Wheeler Dealer) helping to recover a Fossils Stuff Gravity 250 from a hedge

Carnage in the pit lane

The great BFPVRA chairman climbing a tree to recover a quad

SN30 ESC decided to set fire to my quad on throttle up, it took a hard hit on the flight before causing this chaos

David Jason was an enthusiastic full size glider pilot in the early seventies before fame and fortune really bit so I'd guess that he's fairly "air-minded" as I don't think the bug ever really leaves most of us. I had the pleasure of chatting with him when he revisited the London Gliding Club a bit later - I remember him being in awe of Ronnie Barker who he'd worked with on Open All Hours - the finest manipulator of words that he'd ever met.

Thank you all, such an honour and joy to meet Sir David and share this amazing hobby with him. He was so funny and very interested in the details about the quads and FPV gear and was quite excited about what the future technology will bring.

Posted by Martin Harris on 13/09/2015 20:42:15:

David Jason was an enthusiastic full size glider pilot in the early seventies before fame and fortune really bit so I'd guess that he's fairly "air-minded" as I don't think the bug ever really leaves most of us. I had the pleasure of chatting with him when he revisited the London Gliding Club a bit later - I remember him being in awe of Ronnie Barker who he'd worked with on Open All Hours - the finest manipulator of words that he'd ever met.

That's very interesting I did not know that, he sure did have a good passion for anything RC or flying, I think the big RC Jets got his eye the most. thanks for the information.

Posted by Martin Harris on 13/09/2015 20:51:50:

After watching the video, it strikes me that it might have been better to have the competent observers more visible?

It strikes me after reading your comment that I did not know kneeling in a 'controlled area' made some people invisible to others, magic lol. Maybe they should have shirts saying 'Competent observer'

Also why would you like to have them more visible in the video? they were seen more than enough for a video that has nothing to do with them so seems quite a strange thing to be striking you and I can't see how it would be a better video for it. If you missed the spotter then I also guess you missed the UAV pilot police officer (standing by the tent next to his police car and UAV) observing the whole flight if that interests you at all.. Are there any other 'Strikes' you might have?

Admittedly, not my cup of tea at all, but I can see great potential in the growth of FPV racing particularly among those who are currently lost to the wider hobby and spend their waking hours immersed in the fantasy world of gaming. It's got to be more attractive to very technically savvy young people than messing about with bits of balsa.

It just needs presentation to a wider audience and dare I say it, money pumped in to make it more professional (I think the correct expression is 'cool' wink). With the right publicity, look how strapping a couple of old roller skates to a plank of wood generated the skateboarding phenomenon that still exists today. Maybe FPV racing can do the same thing?

Good job by all concerned.

Posted by Cuban8 on 14/09/2015 08:36:29

With the right publicity, look how strapping a couple of old roller skates to a plank of wood generated the skateboarding phenomenon that still exists today. Maybe FPV racing can do the same thing?

Somebody has to say it...........

Come on......?

No...?