DSM Excelsior 150

extra slim

Hi guys

just picked up an original kit, only thing missing is the cowl, but hey ho. Been looking for a "period" peice for a while and for £50, I'm happy.

anyone got any experience of the model, good and bad honest views? motor suggestions?, I have an OS91fx, or YS63, far from period, but suspect they might be ok, although the 91 will probably be a bit porky.

my pal is egging me to source an HP61 gold cup as they were light, but bit before my time! (I'm 40!), but love the era, as I remember flicking though my old mans mags drooling over pattern ships.

as always any assistance would be welcome.

Cheers

Posted by extra slim on 21/09/2015 22:37:30:

Hi guys

just picked up an original kit.....

How odd! It's only last week that I went down to the club house, to find that another member had left a part-built Excelsior 150 there! Naturally I grabbed it, and took it home.

It's up in the attic now and I'm debating whether to use it as a test bed for a small petrol engine at some stage.

tim

Hi Tim, the part built element I think was standard issue for DSM at the time, or an option, so mine came with fus built, apart from the bottom, new canopy uncut and two already veneered wing halves with undercart mounting blocks already built in. Plus roughly shaped tail group. The instructions are very good, let me know if you need a copy, I could do with some pictures of the cowl to see what it should look like, and if and where there is any shaping. Instructions say for a good 40 on a pipe, or even better a 46 or lightweight 60, so your petrol would need to be a wee one.

I have all the instructions, so that's not a problem.

The cowl looks to be made out of thick plastic sort of rigid polythene. My wings have been epoxied together by a previous owner, but don't have the u/c blocks installed.

As you can see, the internal fuselage doublers have come adrift from the balsa, so that needs rectifying

img_8293small.jpg

img_8289small.jpg

Posted by extra slim on 24/09/2015 21:41:23:

.91fx...ummm, bet it went well?...what were your memories of it, good and bad?

Well, 2001 was quite a while ago, but... As I recall it flew well, very smooth and stable, as you'd expect with a long tail moment arm. Only real issue was slowing it down to land it! Not helped by having a 12" pitch prop, I'd have preferred a larger diameter, finer pitch prop, but there wasn't the ground clearance for it. Maybe I should have tried a 3-blade prop?