New 78" Vulcan for twin 90mm DF

Tony  Nijhuis

Ok so here's the last in the size range of Vulcans I set out to do more than 4 years ago and not off to a great start......a before and after photoimg_3391.jpg

img_3392.jpg

I never did like the phrase 'non destructive testing' All I can say is the model when it was flying was superb and cant wait to build the second prototype as the size, simplicity and performance made this a winner...

happy days

Only a slight disappointment Ian.....there is always a greater risk when test flying a design without any sort of covering applied. Of a model this size, one would glass cloth epoxy the structure which locks in great strength. Part of the reason for failure was no covering was applied so i was asking a lot of the balsa. The other reason was too much 'on the hoof' redesigning (cutting & carving) which had weekend the structure

What is useful is now i have the wreckage to analyze, i can see where the problem are. There is always a positive to any disaster

Yes Piers, 78inch span

AUW was 18lbs and although the runway was quite boggy on the first test flight, after the last few days of rain and the grass covered the wheels (54mm dia), she fairly raced along and was airbourne in no time. Each fan is capable of 10lbs of thrust so ground power is good...soon as she's away you cut the throttle to two thirds and she climbs away with gusto!...after that, haft to a third throttle is all you need, until you want the 'Vulcan climb'!!!!!

David, on delta's, tip stalling is not a problem so no washout is required.....What washout does is reduce the wing tip lift and bring it inboard.....QED if the lift is reduce at the tips, the chance of tip stalling is reduced. With the Vulcan wing and the fact delta's do not tip stall, the AVRO designers actually made the tips a flat bottomed high lifting section so the payload carrying capabilities of the Vulcan could be vastly increased with still no chance of tip stall....

Now redesign and the part being cut for a new one........and strangely looking forward to buildsmiley

David, it's from the South Herts Models plan, by far the most accurate plan that's out there, and for PSS off the slope. The characteristic is that if you put the nose down even slightly the model accelerates rapidly and becomes incredibly pitch sensitive with a tendency to tuck if left unchecked. I've tried a variety of CG positions without change. It's quite nice to have to 'fly' a model and really focus on what you do but odd none the less.

Interesting point Matt about pitch sensitivity and tuck under....if the wing geometry of your Vulcan is incorrect especially when introducing the under cambered wing profile towards the wing tips (as per the real Vulcan) you are in danger of too much lift behind the CofG. The consequence of this is when you put the nose down the the main inner wing section produces less lift but the out part is still lifting well behind the CofG.....QED as a result the model will pitch down and accelerate and then tuck under....its a vicious circle and only carefully up elevator control (a throttle) can retrieve the situation from desaraster!!!

However when the Vulcan wing is in normal level flight or climbing the wing is extremely stable and delivers very high lift characteristics, which is exactly what a bomber had to do.

To descend a Vulcan you need to reduce power and keep the nose level then raise the nose slightly and the aircraft descends The rate of decent is check with engine power.

On my Vulcan designs I tried to make the wing a little more forgiving so the under camber was not included and so pitch sensitively is not a problem, nor is tuck under. The purist may say its not scale but the idea is to make something that works well rather than a 'scale' hand full in the air....