New 78" Vulcan for twin 90mm DF

Tony  Nijhuis

Posted by Alan Jarvis on 02/10/2015 08:59:02:

Keith

In April 1997 it received maritime radar reconnaissance modifications (MMR) and a gloss paint finish and served with No 27 Squadron. The bulge on the nose is part of that. It is assumed the probe was removed at that time.

Sorry to correct you Alan but the bulge on the nose is the terrain following radar that was fitted to the Vulcan fleet after the mission profiles went low level. It was not a automatic system as fitted to the F111 but it gave the crew a warning of high ground ahead. The re-fuelling probes were removed from retired Vulcans during the Falklands war to fit onto Nimrods, Hercs etc. Max aircraft TO weight was 204,000lbs with the engines turned up to 103%. Spent 15 years working on Vulcans so a bit of a nut myself.

Mark.

Edited By Mark a on 02/10/2015 12:01:55

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...

UPDATE

Well its almost 11 months to the day I repackaged the Mk1 prototype, its taken a good six months to redesign the model then rebuild to this standard below

img_4229.jpg

I decided to glass cloth the model and give it a light dusting of primer ready for the test flight today

This Mk2 version used all the avionics and fan units from the Mk1. The AUW was 9.14kg which is a shade over 20lbs. I was hoping to keep the model under 9kg so was a little concerned that the old 5-bladed Lander fans would struggle, even though the output thrust of each fan is 4kg.

I used a separate 3850 mah 10S NanoTec pack from Hobbyking to power each motor with two 100amp controllers. Using this setup on full power would only give about 2 1/2 mins tops so another worry was duration on this model.

To make the mixing easier, I used and igyro 3e from Powerbox

So writhing this now, i can report the model flew beautifully and the igyro made such a great difference i can thoroughly recommend this device.....

The first flight lasted 3min 20sec and scale flying was achieved at half stick position.....so much for being worried! The packs were charged a few days before this flight so when recharged I had expected the packs to be exhausted!....well on recharge, I could only get 1000ma into the cells so amazingly not even a third of the capacity had been used. The second flight was 4min 30sec and on recharging the cells amazingly I could only get 1100ma into the cells. I guess the extra min was a function of a freshly charged pack.

So based on this we are potentially looking at an 8min flight times on scale flying with a few vulcan climb outs thrown in for good luck....During the second flight i did apply full throttle, put the nose up and she climbed away at 60deg with no problem....

So yesterday I had almost convinced myself this model was going to have power and duration problem but today I couldn't have been more wrong......so still learning!!!

....I think this model may be the winner out of the three versions.yes

I was on the flight line with Tony during the maiden .It was absolutely brilliant ,I saw a full size flying over Stone henge in the early 60's and Tony's model brought back memory's of this ,stable at scale speed and rock solid in turns The second flight was even better .This model is a winner

Alan Hilton

Tony

Will you produce and sell the plans for the Mk 2 Vulcan if it exceeds your expectations as I am sure it will.

It will be useful to have a redesigned wing and Thanks for explaining about the underchamber of the wing.

Re reading your posts, in one you put that the AVRO designers made the tips, flat bottomed, yet in your later post, the actual Vulcan underchamber extends towards the wing tips.

I gather the actual wing tips is flat bottomed & the underchamber tapers to flat?

I am sure all this is irrelevant as you designed your model to be flat bottomed for ease of flying.

Keith,

I looking at the three view wing section drawings I have of what I think is the full-size, the undercamber is just at the leading edge and is quite pronounced at mid cored and then as you say it tapers to almost flat bottomed at the tip.

My wing is different and starts semi-symmetrical at the root and changes to flat bottomed at the tips to make the build easier......  having built and flown quite a few deltas now, I thought i would stick with what I thought would work best...i hope.

Edited By Tony Nijhuis on 30/08/2016 22:54:42

John

A flat is a non curved surface and refers to the bottom of the wing. The top surface is curved outward and the air has to move faster along the top then the bottom which creates a suction and that provides lift for the wing.

Underchamber is curved into the wing, like the first flying machines and WW1 era planes.

For the Vulcan, it produces more lift but would have thought a flat bottomed is better and am not exactly sure why an underchamber in the foreword part of the wing rather than a slight chamber but it could be due to CoG requirement.

• 1 month later...

Well finally had time last week to paint and finish the model and have to say i'm pleased with the standard of finish

v78-5.jpg

So AUW is 21lbs and up to 7min flight time 4000mah 10S....here's a few pictures of today's flight

v78-1.jpg

v78-2.jpg

v78-3.jpg

v78-4.jpg

The model is so lightly loaded and slippery I turned the motors off and glided in on base leg.....so controllable and the IGyro3 just sorted the landing out for me

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...