New 78" Vulcan for twin 90mm DF

Tony  Nijhuis

Agree Tony and it'll probably be fine but this is the second time in about a week that someone has recommended a design for PSS without actually trying it first, personally I think that's dangerous and something that shouldn't be done.

People still think that PSS isn't viable in anything less than a hurricane which simply isn't true, my fear is we're in danger of encouraging people to give it a go with untried airframes and, if it doesn't work, will only perpetuate the myth that PSS doesn't work.

Might be worth holding back on the recommendation until it's actually been proven 'eh?

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Looking good! I've nearly finished my PSS version. It's a great build, but surprisingly complicated in places. I made a few cockups! Be careful of where the trailing edge of the wings mate with the fuselage in particular.

The bit I found really difficult was sawing between the ribs to separate the wings. I made a right old mess of it, but easily remedied by facing them with thin balsa and lots of filler 😁

Edited By Scott Edwards 2 on 11/02/2018 10:33:33

My PSS version is now ready to hit the air ! I thought it would be like building a simple flying wing, but it aint ! It was surprisingly complex, and a 78" Vulcan is much bigger than you might think ! I reckon it was around 400 hours work over 6 months. It's very satisfying to build though All Up Weight is 6Kg, including 550g of lead up it's snitch to balance.

imag2016.jpg

imag2026.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...