New 78" Vulcan for twin 90mm DF

Tony  Nijhuis

• 3 weeks later...

Patrick,

That is looking very good, you have certainly been saving up the build for us. Looking at your planking of the nose, that is yet another slight variation on a theme, perhaps a bit easier than the way I tapered all my strips.

If that small offcut of kitchen worktop is your only work area then you are doing very well. I did find with my wing build that I needed to pin it down onto a building board over the plan.

Peter.

Thanks guys, yeah Peter when i come to build the wings i will change that work top to a wider one, otherwise it will be imposable just want to get the body done and ready ive done the hatches.

i also tested the edf,s and there is some power in them. Greg was right about how much wiring is needed lol

Patrick

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

To resurrect an old thread, I have finally built up the courage to maiden my Vulcan over the past couple of days, more than 2 years since I completed it. Lockdowns in late 2020 and 2021 got in the way. Late 2021 I took it to the field for a flight but the wind was contrary when I arrived so I taxied it and chickened out. Once the first opportunity was missed it just became easier and easier to not do it. I found that it can fly really slowly, that it is very stable but I have not sorted out high alpha landings. I then reread Tony Nijhuis's notes from earlier in the thread where he said that he just glided it in off power and that is what I have been doing, but as we do not have a huge open run up to the field it is taking some practice. The video attached is from the 6th flight, the camera was sat on a fence post at the end of the runway. Picture is a still from the video, not great quality. Turn the sound up, I let some of the passes run on after the plane was out of shot as it just sounds so great as it passes the camera. I can only wonder why it took me so long to get around to flying it.

707635262_vulcanflying1.jpg.6f9265032bdc0e3c718fded01cac7cd0.jpg

• Like 3