Keilkraft Super 60

Cliff 1959

I've just acquired a very fine condition Keil Kraft Super 60, probably 20+ years old, it's covered in iron-on nylon by the look of it, she has ailerons, rudder and elevator but a ic motor on the nose, what sort of motor do you think would be good, I have 3s lipos already, would they be capable of getting her off the ground, maybe two together?

Any advice welcome.

Edited By Cliff 1959 on 20/10/2015 21:23:03

Mine (lightweight 3 channel) has a Himax HC3515-1130 and I have also used a Turnigy C3542-1100. In both cases I used a 12x5 prop and 3 cell 3000-4000MAh batteries. This gives an easy 15 mins and it has power to spare flying around on half throttle. I've also used a 4 cell with this combo when that was all I had left on the field and that was overkill.

Cliff. That would be fine for conversion to electric. Suggest you try. EMax 2820 07. Try it first with your 3s packs on a 12x6 prop. If you find it underpowered the motor will run fine on a 4s with a slightly smaller prop. It will still be well within the spec of the motor. What I would suggest is you buy yourself a watt meter. I use a cheap Chinese £10 one off eBay and it is perfectly accurate

i use that motor set up on a junior 60 with a 3s. It gives more than enough power and in fact my throttle

is set to 50% travel

Before someone says you cannot do that... Yes you can just calibrate the ESC first.

On my Super 60 low wing I have the same motor with 4s. Best part of 600 watts available there so lots of flexibility with that motor

If you are buying one I would suggest you ring BRC hobbies and tell h the weight and he will advise correctly

super 60s go great on electric. It was just that we had to wait about 60 years before someone invented suitable batteries and motors !

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...

My partner is an extraordinary lady. Not only has she become interested in my hobby, she wants me to teach her not only how to fly but how to build as well.

trish me and bertie.jpg

I have several suitable models with which she can learn to fly but to teach her how to build I have bought a Ben Buckle Super 60 kit which I intend to convert to electric power.

Assuming that the finished model will weigh no more than 5 lbs and that 70 watts per lb will be ample for a model like this I have decided to use a "Twister 40" brushless motor, which I have had sculling about unused for decades. This motor dates from pre LiPo days but on 10 NiCads (12 volts) and a 11 x 6 prop the motor draws 30 amps. I would expect a similar performance from the 3S 3000 mAh LiPos I will be fitting so I am expecting about 67 watts per lb. (30 amps x 11.1 volts = 333 watts divided by 5 lbs = 66.6.)

I proposed to mount the LiPo in a ventillated box below the motor as I have done with my Junior 60 and Double Size Tomboy.

j60 electrified (1).jpg

ammeter reading (2).jpg

Has anybody else converted a Super 60 to electric power?

Is there anything I should look out for?

Edited By David Davis on 01/09/2020 07:52:15

Posted by Philip Barrett 2 on 01/09/2020 09:01:21:

When I converted my Ben Buckle Junior 60 plan to electric I lengthened the nose to reduce the amount of lead in the front to achieve the necessary c of g.

The nose is now six inches in front of the wing leading edge.

Hope this helps.

Quite so Phillip but the Super 60 is a different aeroplane and has a much longer nose than the Junior 60.

This bloke did a good job of converting his Super 60, i think I'll take a few leaves out of his book. https://www.facebook.com/david.mulcahy.35/media_set?set=a.3227310467291740&type=3&hc_location=ufi

Edited By David Davis on 01/09/2020 10:51:56