Tiger 72.

It's that time of year again - time to get busy building. So this winter's build project is a rework of a much earlier model; actually one of my all time favourites. It's the Ruhig Tigre, a 60" aerobat designed in the late 80s by Colin Dickson and published as a free plan in Radio Modeller magazine in November 1990. I built one from the original plan around 2005 and flew the socks off it until its eventual demise (after numerous rebuilds) some years later. I have been meaning to get around to building a bigger version ever since then but other things got in the way until, egged on by other forum members, I finally got around to drawing up the plan over the last few months.

First up, here are a couple of pictures of the earlier, 60" span version...

dscf1977.jpg

img_0184.jpg

So, that's our starting point. The redesigned model is 20% larger at 72" span. The outline remains very similar to Colin Dickson's design, but I have comprehensively redesigned the structure to take advantage of CAD software and laser cut parts. That being so, I felt it appropriate to change the name from Ruhig Tigre to Tiger 72. Based on the performance of the 60" version, I have high hopes for this one!

Edited By Jim Newberry on 11/11/2015 19:38:56

So, with the plan sorted, it was time to set about making a kit of parts. An exchange of emails between myself and SLEC ensued at the end of which I had a set of laser and router cut parts all ready to collect from their stand at the Gaydon LMA show (just a couple of miles from my house) in late October.

image.jpeg

In the event, I had two full sets produced - one for me and one for my dad as a birthday present.

While SLEC were busy cutting the wood for me, Sean at Perfect Pilots produced a 3D printed cowl from which vac formed copies could be made and lo and behold, the first of the vac formed cowls was ready for collection at Gaydon.

image.jpeg

That will save some work later on!

I produced a first draft instruction manual and packed up a full kit to send to my dad for his birthday (shh, it's a surprise!)

image.jpeg

Actual construction will get under way shortly, just as soon as the electrician turns up to sort out the wiring in my new shed!

Yes, on the size front, I am building the wing in one piece which just fits into my car with the back seats folded flat but a two piece wing would be an easy conversion if required. I found the original had a great range in terms of speed and performance so hopefully this one will too.

There are lightening holes in pretty much everything so with luck I should be able to keep the weight down too.

Me too! I have been following Stevo's build and was already inspired by Percy's comments - it's always good to get such good feedback on prospective models.

I will build the standard size with IC power. I have ordered the plan from MHS and have just spoken to Belair kits. There's good news and not so good news - the kit is available and looks comprehensive but it is now £110. This is probably a bit rich for me so I'll wait to see the plan before making the decision on make/buy the parts.

Lovely looking model and nice to hear that it will also do the aeros.

Thanks chaps. The power train will be a 4-Max PPPO5055-580 on either four or five cells.

I am definitely planning on making plans and parts available to anyone who would like them, I need to do a bit of head scratching and come up with some prices so I can send you a PM when I've given it some thought.

Jim.

• 4 weeks later...

I have finally moved into the new workshop and begun work on the Tiger. As always, I started with the tail surfaces which are made from a number of laser cut parts in 3/8" balsa and 3/8 x 1/4" strip. After releasing the laser cut parts from the balsa planks holding them, I had a pile of bits and two very black hands from the charring on the edges of the wood.

image.jpeg

Fitting the laser cut parts together took no more than a few minutes and slotting in the strip wood took a few more and that was all the tail pieces ready for sanding! In all, hardly more than an hour's work.

img_1704.jpg

img_1708.jpg

The construction method I've used differs from the original design, which used a 1/16" balsa core with balsa laminations making up the leading and trailing edges. There was nothing wrong with the design - in fact it worked very well on the 60" model - my method is a bit quicker and easier, the laser cut parts slot together very well and guarantee an accurate shape, but of course when the original plan was drawn up, laser cut parts were simply not available.

Yes looking very good so far.

I'm about 30% through building the standard size Tigre at the moment so am looking forward to seeing how the big one turns out. I will certainly be interested in building it if plan/parts are made available.

I assume you are using Cyno Jim? Just wandering how the charring affects the bond because it does look particularly bad.

Patiently waiting for Stevo's build to progress too.

Yes I noticed the Ballerina looks almost identical to the Ruhig Tigre - I'd be interested to build one but I have more than enough to keep me occupied for a good while yet!

Masher - I always use aliphatic resin wherever possible and this is what I have used so far. The charring on the balsa looks unsightly but has no effect on the adhesive, whether using aliphatic or cyano.

SWMBO is out this evening so I am looking forward to a couple of hours in the shed - then again I am also on call for work so I am hoping I don't get called out in the middle of a tricky bit!