Tiger 72.

I like the look of the Fun Cub XL - I'd be tempted myself if I didn't have my hands full reducing piles of balsa to dust - I'm building the revised version of my old Jemima design at the moment while CAD drawings are progressing for the model after that!

I may get around to trying the Tiger on 5 cells to see how it flies. I reckon it should perform well but until I've actually tried it myself I can't make any promises.

• 1 month later...

Happy to report that the laser cut parts sets have arrived so if anyone would like one, send me a pm or have a look at the Nuviation website here - **LINK** I only have a small stock at the moment - I didn't want to overstretch myself on my first run in case interest proved to be lacking. I don't plan on posting any more updates on this thread as to do so could be in breach of the forum rules. It's been great fun building and flying the Tiger, thanks for all your input along the way. Now for the next project.....

• 6 months later...

I am surprised that there has not been any more activity on this thread regarding the Tiger 72, bearing in mind that it was the free plan this month in RCM&E. Perhaps there has but I missed it! I was wondering how Masher was getting on with his Saito IC version and also Percy with his Laser 100 powered and enlarged Ruhig Tiger?

Perhaps Jim will share a flying video of it sometime, if he has the time, this may stir up some more interest. It looks like it could be a practical and relaxing sport model for any club flyer.

I know what you mean regarding house refurbishment Percy, having taken on a very big project about four years ago. Trouble is it uses up all ones modelling time, - thank goodness for ARTFs! The Ruhig Tiger has been on my build list since Colin's plan was published in the Nov 90 Radio Modeller, where has all that time gone?

I have three projects 'in build' and I need to get something actually finished before I start another, although starting is often the best bit I find! I am a leccy (and glider) flyer but since I don't have any 6s LiPos but do have an ASP 90FS looking for a home, IC would be the way to go for me. I would also want to incorporate a two piece wing and these fairly major mods would turn this project into an extended winter build I'm sure.

If you get your enlarged Laser powered Ruhig Tiger finished sometime Percy I'm sure we would all like see some pictures and a flight report.

Seems like you will understand then Piers why my kit is still on the shelf untouched! Other projects have been started and some have even been finished but the Tigre has to wait for that moment!

I have just been looking at what to do next in the workshop since the weather is so bad but the Tigre will take a while and take up quite a bit of space so has to wait. I've just reached the bad stage of building a WR Spitfire the stage where 90% has been completed but you know there is still 90% to go - a dose of enthusiasm very much needed from somewhere.

Meanwhile, my 60" Tigre continues to be flown and is still a favourite. So much so she needs a bit of attention as glow fuel has got under the covering. The 60" is just right on a Saito 56 but only just so I will judge what size to put in the 72" when it is near completion - a 90 ASP may be Ok but for Saito it's 82 or 100.................. or a 125

Hi Masher, '90% completed and 90% to go' I like that, I can relate to it! I was only looking at the Ruhig Tiger plan (Tiger 60) the other day and pondering whether an OS 52 would be enough, probably not, I have an ASP 60 too, so maybe that would be a better bet. The Tiger 72 would be more manageable with a two piece wing as big wings tend to suffer more from 'hanger rash' in my experience, perhaps I am just clumsy. A Laser 100 would seem ideal for the Tiger 72 (Big slow turning prop) but I don't have one of those - yet!

Perhaps when I have moved house and settled, with a new workshop, I can take on a new project, whether a Ruhig Tiger or Tiger 72. I am sure either would be fun.

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 14/06/2017 18:08:55

• 8 months later...

Hi Brian,

I must admit, I have been meaning to get around to building a T72 with an ic engine but I just haven't had time. IC versions have flown successfully with 17cc petrol engines though. At the Gaydon show in Autumn, Jon Harper of Laser engines had a good look at the prototype and expressed his opinion that it would fly well with a Laser 80 or give unlimited performance with a Laser 100. The structure as it stands is strong enough to withstand the vibration of an ic engine and I can supply a replacement blank F1 from 6mm birch ply to take your engine, although it will require drilling to accept fuel lines, throttle pushrod etc. The cowl would need some adapting to fit around an ic engine but it is nothing that should be beyond the skill set of an experienced builder.

Best wishes,

Jim.

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone completed a Tiger 72 with a ic engine fitted yet?I am busy building one for a friend which will be fitted with a OS 90 F/S and would appreciate any info on how far back the revised former F1 should be.In order to get the correct right thrust incorporated I expect that the right hand side should be shortened by slightly over 1/8th of an inch.Any help appreciated.

Hi Brian,

Just to be clear about a couple of things - there is no revised F1. The kit is not supplied with one and we do not sell one. The model is designed for electric power only. If a builder decides to build a Tiger 72 for ic power then I am very pleased but it must be understood that the model is not designed for ic engines and, like any electric to ic conversion, the builder takes full responsibility for the modifications required. A small number of my customers have contacted me to ask about ic conversions and I have supplied them with a suggested alternative F1, free of charge and on the strict understanding that it is supplied as a favour and not as a kit component.

The correct location for the former would be determined by measuring the distance between the rear of the propellor and the rear of the engine mount. The alternative F1 supplied should fit in approximately the correct position but will need trimming to suit the individual installation.

Hope this helps,

Jim.

Posted by BrianB on 12/03/2018 15:46:08:

Has anyone completed a Tiger 72 with a ic engine fitted yet?I am busy building one for a friend which will be fitted with a OS 90 F/S and would appreciate any info on how far back the revised former F1 should be.In order to get the correct right thrust incorporated I expect that the right hand side should be shortened by slightly over 1/8th of an inch.Any help appreciated.

Am a pensioner now Brian, and built and flown I/C proportional control since my teens and have

Never ever altered a thrust line, apart from F/F and some small electric.

I have only 7 I/C fit to fly presently, and all are zero° thrust

Have, over the years converted I/C to electric, and electric to I/C, and would recommend you strengthen the former

To your satisfaction without sidethrust

• 3 years later...

Well 6 years on and she's ready! Got fed up of moving the box of wood around so completed the Tiger 72 as one of the winter projects. Whilst under the plan target weight of 10lbs, she is a porker at 9.5lb! Unfortunately I obtained a fibreglass undercarriage from Carbon Copy and this weighs a ton so there is some room for reducing weight. I am worried that the Saito 115 FS I have carefully built the cowl around will struggle to provide enough power. If it doesn't I may have to consider a 2 stroke as I don't have any bigger 4 strokes.

Won't be able to maiden for a while because our strip is very rough until dried out and rolled later in the year.

Tiger 6.jpg

Tiger 5.jpg

Edited by Masher
  • Like 8

16 minutes ago, Alan Gorham_ said:

Lovely result! I would expect the Saito will have no problems with a relatively clean shape and 9.5lbs all up. I used to fly a Jungmann biplane that weighed 11lbs and had full rigging (and drag) on an SC 91 FS which was no powerhouse. It was overpowered.

Thanks. Hopefully I'm just being a bit pessamistic and I'm no speed freak

A Saito 115 on a 15 x 6 should run at over 8,500 rpm, which an online thrust calculator gives around 9.7 lbs thrust, sounds good to me unless you are doing some 3D prop hanging.

But yes a bit heavy, my 71 inch wingspan Astro Hog runs an OS55 AX two stroke and isn't short on power. 

it does look very smart though, ?

Edited by Frank Skilbeck
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 27/01/2022 at 16:24, Masher said:

Well 6 years on and she's ready! Got fed up of moving the box of wood around so completed the Tiger 72 as one of the winter projects. Whilst under the plan target weight of 10lbs, she is a porker at 9.5lb! Unfortunately I obtained a fibreglass undercarriage from Carbon Copy and this weighs a ton so there is some room for reducing weight. I am worried that the Saito 115 FS I have carefully built the cowl around will struggle to provide enough power. If it doesn't I may have to consider a 2 stroke as I don't have any bigger 4 strokes.

Won't be able to maiden for a while because our strip is very rough until dried out and rolled later in the year.

Tiger 6.jpg

Tiger 5.jpg

PS Maiden today and all is well. Saito 115  is adequate for the style of model. On a sample of a few flights, performance is just the same as the 60 size so that's a result.

Not the most relaxing maiden though, got away with murder! Went for a bunt and ran out of elevator - managed to remember to max the throttle and flick in high rates and somehow managed to recover without incident despite plunging down below and between tree level. My flying companion was as shocked as I was that I recovered and landed in one piece. I certainly tested the integrity of the wing bandage. Every now and again luck is on our side ?

Edited by Masher
tipo :-)
  • Like 2

• 7 months later...

Hi All,

I bought one of these kits earlier this year and started the building yesterday, I intend fitting an SC 91FS up front. I do accept that this kit has been designed for electric use and that these are my modifications to convert to ic.

Having read through the full blog and noted that there has been mention of moving/remaking F1 rearwards and then the cowl not fitting etc, got to get me thinking and sketching on the drawing and thinking a bit more and coming up with my solution. I decided to do this first before starting the build.

IMG_20221029_172733.thumb.jpg.881c29887e795e38dae2087bd1d612b9.jpg

SC 91 and mount with the prop driver just proud of the cowl line

IMG_20221029_172435.thumb.jpg.d9148f7669ad4050bc1d9d99c279a908.jpg

My idea, leave F1 in place, make a new F1a with spacers/packers to pull back the prop driver to the required position 

IMG_20221029_172526.thumb.jpg.ea1b5ec42fa6b9d12a9e2d9b3de9f0c3.jpg

F1 with motor mount shown showing the amount of ply to remove

IMG_20221117_185248.thumb.jpg.ae6d3423f8ebb3f0e9dcfe2d67f88bb3.jpg

My new F1a as I will call it with 16mm x 12mm beach engine bearers shaped to match the pulled in sides of the fuselage with the original F1 cut to allow it to pass over the engine mount. The washers give the correct side thrust.

IMG_20221117_185234.thumb.jpg.47ad8d65dc4dd898e9d39664759cf2de.jpg

F1 placed over the mount with a cut out required for the carb later on. I opted to go for a side winder installation

IMG_20221127_152340.thumb.jpg.7787fa10ca899346ffe061de27174614.jpg

Glued together as one piece.

I was a little concerned about the additional weight I was adding with my F1a and bearers but when I added this along with the engine weight then looked up all of the weights of the 6s battery, motor, esc etc my worries were unfounded and to be honest a big weight saving has been achieved a total of 1.179kgs!!! I think that I'm going to have to add a lot of ballast to get the CoG right, the rear end has already been designed light and there is little weight saving to be done at this end.

What did you do Masher to get your Satio in place

That's all for now

Regards

Robert

Hi Robert

I mounted direct to F1 which was located rearward to suit. I made a built up cowl as the one supplied was hideous. Engine inverted so all the oil can run out the bottom.

I hope you can build lighter than me otherwise I think your 91 will struggle. The Saito 115 is OK for scale like flying but I would like a bit more power really. I had to ditch the carbon copy heavyweight fibreglass u/c for lighter ali ones.

Another area I would check is the tailplane structure. It isn't really strong enough in the middle IMHO, I have reinforced mine but it is still weak. I got away with murder recovering from the first bunt but the tailplane basically half fractured at each side of the fuzz. If you study the plan you will see what I mean.

Still a lovely model which is the easiest model I have to land.