Mascot & Yamamoto trainer builds

Paul Marsh

Boddo was certainly one to chat to the plebs ... even me! He attended the RR(Hucknall) MAC scale weekend a couple of times and was just one of the flyers rather than an aeromodelling celebrity. I had a DB models Gringo kit I'd bought as a dusty box from my local shop and mentioned it to him. He said he didn't recall it and suggested it may have been designed by a later owner of DB - Chart?

Just as well it wasn't his as it was a lousy flyer even though it looked quite good - although it could have been my incompetance, of course

It's great that DB Sport and Scale is still in business and hopefully thriving. There are a few of their kits I have an eye on once the current backlog is reduces a bit.

Geoff

My Yamamoto was wonderful, with small (10mm) control throws it is perfectly possible to learn on ones own. With larger throws it will do all the RE aerobatics. My Yammy taught three people to fly including myself. It truly is a plane with no vices.

My original one did. I taught myself to fly with it, using the same type of OS35 FP engine it's in now. I didn't have a buddy box, just take off and avoid crashing. I did it and learnt to fly in about 30 seconds, and never broke it, until I tried to limbo under a goal post and creased the wings - didn't break it, though.

Paul,

That was my very first proper trainer and I also taught myself to fly with it (I crashed a lot prior to that!!) . Thanks for bringing back some very happy memories (I still have my 3 ch blue MacGregor gear - and it works). The shame of it was that I chopped the wings and turned it into a twin rotor autogyro (1979). Lots of structural changes ie near T tail with rear section and added a fair amount of down thrust. It did work . Not as pretty as my mates DB ones ,but it stood the test of time ie a few months (until a nice man with a CB thought it would be a good laugh to see what he could do by transmitting close to our field - he had need of a new aerial after that!)

• 9 months later...
Posted by Joel Pontin on 31/08/2016 15:59:13:

Hi, not sure this is the right place to ask this but we are building an old Yamamoto trainer and it has been recommended that we go 'electric', can anyone recommend a suitable 'budget' motor plus any advice on esc and battery... many thanks!

Hi Joel,
There are many possible electric combos that would be suitable, but a '4S' LiPo battery based
setup would probably be best.

This would be a suitable motor & ESC:

**LINK**

Battery:

**LINK**

Posted by Richard Wood on 01/09/2016 07:45:22:
Posted by Joel Pontin on 31/08/2016 15:59:13:

Hi, not sure this is the right place to ask this but we are building an old Yamamoto trainer and it has been recommended that we go 'electric', can anyone recommend a suitable 'budget' motor plus any advice on esc and battery... many thanks.

Is the club you fly at all electric? If not build the model the way it was designed and fit an engine.I use IC and electric power in my models and enjoy the benefits of both types of power. You will get far longer flight times with a glow set up unless your prepared to buy a load of batteries. Charging at the field takes a while and needs a decent power source for the charger. If using your car as power for charger then keep a set of jump leads in the boot or make sure you have AA or RAC cover .Electric model are great ,clean to run and quicker to get into the air once at the field ,but when your learning the longer flight times of the glow engines really helps the process. Fifteen to twenty minutes flight with a glow powered model as opposed to five to ten minutes with an electric set up .Also electric models are generally designed lighter than their I/C counterparts so more battery life will be used to get into the air and your Yamamoto is of the solid and strong variety .If your club allows ic then give it a try. You never know you might like the smell of the exhaust and the sound of the engine . 

This is just my opinion and not a invite for argument but for those that believe electric is " The only way to go" then fine but beginners might ,just might like the ic route. As said earlier I use both types of power and enjoy both but do try ic as well .😃Finally and importantly ,if you go the electric route ALWAYS remove the prop when setting up the model indoors  and treat the model as if the prop is spinning once the battery is connected. 

Sorry guys but yet again we get this "beginners fly longer with IC" thing! I just don't get this!!

Five minute flights are quoted above. Any electric set up that is limited to 5 minutes is badly desgned. You should get at least 10 minutes clear flying - with extra time to land, and juice left in the battery. 12-15 minutes actually flying is by no means unreasonable nor uncommon - I have several electric powered models that will fly 15 minutes plus.

But, having said that, in my experinece 10mins flying time is more than enough for most beginners - the concentration level repquired from them means they can't go for much loinger than that usefully anyway.

A 4s can be charged at the field at 2C - on "quick charge" that will take 30 minutes. 3 batteries and you can fly more or less continuously for the day! In the long run 3 batteries will cost less than the equivalent fuel as well! Lead acid battery too heavy to transport? Try transporting a gallon of fuel, a pump, a starter, a starter battery a glow stick,....

And you know what? It must work, because most days I get an awful lot more air time than most of the IC guys around me - who seem to me to spend a disproportionate amount of time tinkering with an engine on the ground - and not that much time flying!

I'm not claiming electric is better - go IC if you want it is fun. But equally if you want it electric - you go for it! There is no disadvantage in reality if you have a well designed and set up system!

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 01/09/2016 11:32:02

Wow, thanks guys for your fantastic replies! I hope to go down the leccy route but will look into IC as well. Can someone recommend a suitable, entry level RC setup. This is my first time at RC model flying and having a great time building the vintage Yamamoto, all help is greatly appreciated!! 🙂

Posted by Joel Pontin on 01/09/2016 13:45:09:
Wow, thanks guys for your fantastic replies! I hope to go down the leccy route but will look into IC as well. Can someone recommend a suitable, entry level RC setup. This is my first time at RC model flying and having a great time building the vintage Yamamoto, all help is greatly appreciated!! 🙂

Hi Joel,
First off - If you aren't already in a club it's strongly recommended that you join one.
You'll get help & encouragement from most clubs - learning to fly alone can be difficult.
Have a look at the R/C gear in use at the club, most modern makes are reliable & have
entry level sets e.g Futaba, Hi-Tec etc

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

My 13 year old son is restoring a Yamamoto trainer that he bought at Headcorn model air show a few weeks ago for £5. It's balsa not f/g and came with an OS FP40 engine. After freeing the carb which was glued up with 20 year old fuel, the engine runs really well. The fuselage is missing the nose cone / engine cowling which the plane originally had and my son hopes to 3D print one at school. (The plane would fly without but my son would like to put the plane back to original if poss.) Problem is that we don't have the plans or a good photo reference for the engine cowling. Unfortunately I can't upload a pic of the plane as the website won't let me (Mac / PC issue?) but it's detachable and has four screw fixings holding it on. If anyome has any visual references thay could supply that would be much appreciated. Many thanks.