Really Late Start JP

Finally started a JP build as the new kitchen is now finished and the space pressure on the 'workshop' (actually garage) has reduced enough to get in there. The wood pack took some time to arrive. The delay was attributed to the need to get the pack cut. I noticed from a couple of build blogs that the forward fuz side has a raised section that the triangle attached to. THis has not been replicated on the wood pack I received. Easily fixed with some scrap. Don't know if this was standard or if the cut done for my pack has interpreted the plan differently.

I am rather a poor builder (my existing 'fleet' are ARTF, foam or S/H), and slow. Hope to have a flyable item for next year. I am pretty crap at applying film as well, so it won't be pretty. Wonder if paint might be better for the 'film-ically challenged'?

Robert

Why don't you join the Mass Build? I am sure this will be really helpful to develop you building skills and you are not the only one with a film phobia! I was terrified at first and my first attempts fully justified my terror. Before I had completed my first model however it started to fall into place and now I find covering intensely satisfying.

It is a whole lot easier to peel off film for another go than to strip paint.

Join the Mass Build now! You know it makes sense smiley

Hooray another JP

The only thing with applying paint is that you need a good substrate for it to go onto. You would very rarely paint directly onto wood, as the grain will almost always show through. I'd get a couple of rolls of cheap Hobbyking film (which is actually very good, and quite forgiving), and just experiment. It's a very useful skill to have, and you will soon get used to it. Some of the filming masters from the PSSA (like Matt or Phil) will help no doubt too! I can chip in, but the complex shapes around the nose, intakes and tip tanks, I defferred to Phil Cooke's build thread.

Good luck! Chosen a scheme yet?

Levanter - this is a mass build...he's just starting late hehe.

Edited By Andy Meade on 26/11/2015 09:52:14

Posted by Andy Meade on 26/11/2015 13:45:04:

Sounds good. Have you a building board or bench at all? I've heard great things about using a plasterboard off-cut as it takes pins readily, and they are generally quite flat.

Another one for plasterboard. Just make sure you put it on a flat work bench. Takes pins easily but still holds them firm.

I'll also be a late starter on the JP as soon as I've finished spraying my Tiger Moth! Clear coat & decals going on this week so should be starting after the weekend!

Ah this takes me back! Great to see another one being built. I expect I'll be building another one soon - if/when the current one gets beyond repair. They just fly so well.

Just wanted to mention - those missing bits of the fuselage sides you mentioned Robert - I could be wrong, but I seem to remember that I did find them in the wood pack - eventually - when there wasn't much else left! It might be too late now, but if not, could be worth another look.

• 1 month later...

Shamed by Chris's lightning progress and encouraged (sort of) by wise words from a club mate (if you don't finish it, even if it does look like a dog's breakfast, it will hang over you and put the mockers on your next attempt) I have finished gluing the fuz together and blocked up most of it. The plan seems to say to leave a gap at the front of the battery box and also to hollow out the blocking between f1 and f2. Is that right? All the build blog photos just show finished blocking, so no idea whether its hollow.

Hello again Robert. I usually post a blog to help keep the momentum going on a build. I also like deadlines and target dates for completion even if it's just an informal meet or a fly in. Without these incentives I'd probably have quite a few unfinished projects occupying the bench!

I cut the blocking as close as I could to stay within the two formers thus making it hollow. It's a little worrying when sanding wondering if you're going to go through into the void below!

You do need the slightly hollowed out nose as well. The battery will be way up in the front to get the CG right before adding any ballast, which I'm told it doesn't really need. I wanted to keep mine light so I could fly in lighter winds as well.

Edited By Chris Barlow on 16/01/2016 14:08:46