The O-K Challenge

Martyn K

Hi all

We have been thinking ow ways of adding a little 'spice' to the UKCAA Fly-ins for 2016.

This is one idea, its a Wildcard Challenge event at 3 different levels. It's totally non competitive but hopefully will encourage participants to fly with a little discipline with a clear objective. There is nothing too onerous (except for the Experts!) and we would welcome your views.

Broadly, if we prepare for this, would you take part? Remember, its a fun event and you will be only flying against yourself

How could we improve it?

Any pitfalls?

Any ideas of your own?

The O-K Challenge sheet (Draft 0.1) can be downloaded here.

If you think this will be a worthwhile then we will flesh this out a lot more to include pictograms and start producing the challenge cards (which can be downloaded so that you have something to practice against.

Your thoughts please!

Martyn & Steve

Hi Martyn

Yes that looks too good to miss out on.

Now i have some work to do over the winter.

Minty did you say that at one time you had a Dave smith Smart move?

I have just been given one and converted it over to electric, i really flies very well.

Me and Martin are converting "some"of our classics over to electric, just to day i have got the OS 5020-490

For the Calypso

Graham

I have been having an off-line discussion with another UKCAA member who believes that the proposed group names - Sportsman/Expert etc. - are a bit misleading and perhaps not especially helpful in this context.

He has made the very valid point that I have inadvertently grouped them into the type of patterns that were flown in the 60's 70's and 80's and we originally thought that a simple Class1, Class2, Class3 nomenclature may be better.

Now, with a little tweaking, I think that this is a very valid point and so suggest - maintaining the 'K' theme that we rename the groups as Klass60, Klass70, Klass80.

This does 2 things. Beginners - irrespective of what they may choose to fly can start in Klass60. It also gives those flying period 1960's models/engine combinations something meaningful to practice against, intermediates and Curare Flyers can try Klass70 and those who really want to stretch their capability and have models (with sufficient power) towards the end of the pre turnaround and early turnaround era can try their hand at Klass80.

Remember, this is for fun so please don't feel that you will be pigeon holed.

It also removes any ambiguity with other aerobatic groups naming of their capability levels.

Any thoughts on this please?

Also, if you have any suggestions on the proposed manoeuvres that I have suggested - too easy/too hard or inappropriate - bear in mind that some of these I made up as I went along, then please feel free to let me know.

Already had one wry comment from Andy Ellison on Facebook regarding the vertical 8 with half rolls in the up and down lines not really being a retro manoeuvre. However, I have seen it done so I know its possible.

Its a challenge..

Martyn

Sounds like a great idea Martyn!

I'd certainly be up for that & glad to help in any way I can.................

Now here's hoping I can actually GET to one or more events next season!

Best Regards, Bill

PS: for the guidance of fliers, is there/will there be, a simple manoeuvre description so that fliers can practice the right way? (eg: Outside Square loop: done from the top line as a "bunted" loop, or from the bottom with half-rolls on entry/exit?)

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the reminder Peter

Here is the first draft - there is a lot more to come. At the moment, I haven't sorted them into different groups but they are mainly OK60 and OK70 manoeuvres with a couple of advanced ones thrown in. We'll get them sorted shortly

Enjoy - I need to practice these as well.

I also need to produce an introduction to the event as well.

My thoughts are that models should be flown from 75 to 150m out on a line (depending on model size), I would guess that 60 sized models would be about 100-125m out from the pilot. The hardest bit I have found so far is judging the line consistently,,

Here is the first pass. I *REALLY* would welcome comments on this - errors - improvements. Lets get them now before I have to do a major rewrite.

Download

Best wishes

Martyn

Edited By Martyn K on 11/02/2016 22:31:06