Lucas's Ballerina

Me too. The weather is deplorable now. Rain, around 0 celsius, dark and windy. So it may take a while.

I had hoped to re-use a pilot from a HK skywalker that never completely lived up to expections:

img_3407 (small).jpg

He is used to flying in cold conditions but is just to broad shoaldered for the Ballerina. For the Tucano Mass build I bought some featherlight pilots that were vacuum formed (and in halves). But where did they come from? Any other outlets I should consider?

Lucas

Now I think she qualifies for the "finished Ballerina's" thread! Decal on the wing applied, fairings around the legs and a windscreen in place:

img_3416 (small).jpg

img_3415 (small).jpg

I fitted the windscreen with 4 M2x6 bolts. The windscreen itself was made from the packaging of a cake. A little flimsy but it will flex on a noseover instead of cracking.

img_3414 (small).jpg

Text and 2 ballerina's for a cake!

img_3413 (small).jpg

Fingers crossed for good weather! I am not completely pleased with the aileron servo's (Turnigy 9025MG). They are humming at any deflection other then neutral. May not be up to par, we will see.

Power consumption is 32A (on 4 cells), measured with a full battery. Just under 500W, with an all up weight of 1700 gr. should give quite sparkling performance.

Edited By Lucas Hofman on 18/11/2016 20:31:56

• 2 weeks later...

The weekend offered 10 knots wind, but gusts up to 30. Ok to check the range and do a little taxiing, but I was - this time- wise enough not to try to fly a plane I had never flown before!

So I had to sneak out from work in the middle of the afternoon today to catch the last hour of daylight. Zero wind, -1 degree and frozen grassplane (which gives litle friction). Ballerina took of in 10-20 meter but need a lot of elevator to keep on track. Low rates were not comfortable, high rates gave at least control. After trimming (at height) I found inverted flight needed a lot of down elevator. In addition a stall was next to impossible.

Landing was very controlled, she tracks well and is predictable at low speeds. There is little suspension in the landing struts and with a frozen and somewhat uneven grassplane everythign shudders a lot. Probably foam wheels can help here.

I moved the battery first 2, later 3 cm back, corresponding to about half a cm in CG. Remove most of the expo on ailerons and increased rudder travel. Now the controls feel more balanced, inverted flying taking about 1/4 down elevator and there is a clear stall.

Takeoff need some right rudder to be straight, slowly releasing the stick when more and more of the lift come from the wings and the rudder becomes more effective. Stall turns are beautifull.

3 flights before my hands and feet got numb, and the sun was under the horizon. A little early to say but it looks like she could have some right trust. However, I am not going to make a new cowl so a throttle-rudder mix will have to do the job.

A little snow is expected for the weekend. I need some skies for her.

Looking forward to many enjoyable flights! Thanks Peter for a good design!

img_3456 (small).jpg

Edited By Lucas Hofman on 29/11/2016 15:59:46

The last post in this thread. Taken today on the ice:

img_3477 (small).jpg

And on fly-by (or was is a final in to landing). Straight as an arrow:

ballerina.jpg

Touchdown (or maybe it was take-off):

ballerina_4.jpgI am looking forward to many more afternoons on the ice this winter. Peter, thanks for designing a very good looking and well flying modell. And for all responses and support while building the Ballerina.

Regards, Lucas

Edited By Lucas Hofman on 04/12/2016 19:05:39

• 2 months later...