de Havilland Aeronatical Technical School T.K. 4 from 1937

Timo Starkloff

Hello everyone!

After about one year of research and half a year drawing, I'm finally at the point to start building the TK 4. Despite the 1/4 scale, the model itself will be relative small with about 150 cm of wing span. It is constructed from balsa and plywood, since that are my prefered materials.

It's an interesting plane from a time of great air races, although nearly forgotten. Since it was a students project, it's not one of the well known de Havilland planes. It flew first in 1937, took a promising part in the Kings Cup race but sadly crashed in autumn same year while preparing for a 100km record.

I got some help from Britain during the search for drawings and details. I come from South-West of Germany and I normally write only in German forums. Considering this rare plane, I think this project is interesting for an English forum, too.

Best regards, Timo

3-view.jpg

I found a picture and two articles about the crash, but not the reason:

**LINK**

**LINK**

Of course, the plane was ambitious and very small. But planes of the Formula 1 class of Reno Air Races fly until today in the same size and with not too different power.

I will try the Himax 4022-0510 and a 6s accumulator, probably 3000mAh depending on the takeoff weight and center of gravity. I have some 3S3000 from smaller planes which are suitable.

p1010944_2.jpg

Edited By Timo Starkloff on 29/12/2015 11:31:16

Edited By Timo Starkloff on 29/12/2015 11:31:32

A 91 FS should also work. But this TK4 should be able to land on a relativ short landing field. I found a small club very near, but they are only allowed to fly electric models and they should be below 5000 grams.

For improved handling and flying characteristics, I made small changes compared to the original. Vertical and horizontal stabilizer are slightly increased, I install slotted flaps instead of split flaps and I'll use a tail wheel instead of a skid. A model with 150cm wing span and low drag is not easy to slow down and land without a flip over. Weight has to be low as possible and flaps have to help.

I start with wing and tail. My brother made me the plywood parts with his cnc. All ribs are glued to the lower and rear part of the wing covering.

p1010982_2.jpg

p1010984_2.jpg

p1010995_2.jpg

Thanks for the compliment, the 1/72 model is from soft plywood and much filler. After sanding it looked much better than expected.

Washout is 2.5°. I normally use 2° on standard warbird wings. But the TK 4 has a shorter outer wing, so it will get a little more washout.

I have some more detailed pictures from building. I make part of the plywood ribs of balsa for easier cutting out the flaps (first try). And I use just plain paper as a template for cutting out balsa ribs. Needs a good hand, but works fine for me.

4.jpg

6.jpg

I had contact to the School and to someone who built a small model of the TK4 as a student in the fifties. But sadly no one was able to find the original drawings from 1937. So all I had was a good 3-view and many photos, which is enough for a good semi-scale model but not for a true scale one. It would have been interesting, to copy their way to build the fuselage. So my focus is to have a plane that clearly looks like the original, but is easy to build and fly. Changes are made as small as possible.

I don't know if the original had washout. But such wings either need washout or a change in airfoil from wing root to tip to improve stall characteristics.

I'm a bit further with the wing. I started placing all ribs on the lower balsa cover. Then the wing is fixed on the work bench with a underlayed balsa strip to get the correct washout. After placing the top longeron and the spar webbing, I let all parts dry.

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

I thought about the construction the whole last year. If everything fits, it's like building a kit. Of course it's an airplane and many things can go wrong, so it's still exciting. But I made the experience that it is best if all problems are solved before building starts. These kind of planes with high wing loads should work right from the beginning.

Next topics are elevator and preparing the installation of the landing gear. Hopefully my brother will cut out the fuselage parts next week. Otherwise I need two evenings to saw them out manually...

I'll use two elevator servos. Easier to build than a linkage between both parts and it means higher redundancy.

20.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

Edited By Timo Starkloff on 01/01/2016 19:40:16

Adding the leading edge.

It is built from two parts. The first is just 3mm balsa for easy sanding of the ribs. The actual and second is 5mm balsa and applied after the wing is covered with 1.5mm balsa.

The hole in the right wing is for the connector to the wing servos.

35.jpg

Edited By Timo Starkloff on 05/01/2016 19:42:24