de Havilland Aeronatical Technical School T.K. 4 from 1937

Timo Starkloff

I switched to a second option to bring the parts on plywood by using an iron. It needs copied or laser printed paper, but works fast and accurate.

This weekend I received the winter 2015 magazine from Air-Britain with an article about the TK4. I found it by luck on a internet search. It contains many new and good pictures about the TK4 and a short but interesting text. Really great to get this document while building the model.

**LINK**

And after cutting out all parts I finally started the fuselage.

42.jpg

43.jpg

44.jpg45.jpg46.jpg

Edited By Timo Starkloff on 10/01/2016 18:58:46

Thanks, cutting worked quiet fine. I used to take birch plywood for most of my models until I switched to poplar in the last years. You have to design models and parts different since this kind of wood is very weak. But it is cheap and very easy to cut and sand.

I'm now preparing the fuselage with reinforcements for wing and elevator, adding an accumulator board and parts for the accumulator lid before covering with sheet balsa.

Timo

49.jpg

50.jpg51.jpg52.jpg

Of course you have to be careful, but the half formers are not too thin. They have a width of 10mm and reinforcements at weak points like the cutouts for the stringers. Important is, not to damage the plywood by sawing, which is why I use a saw blade with very small teeth.

The fuselage looks better and better and improved a lot during the last two days. Good to have free time on a snowy weekend. I added a small cooling air channel in the lower front of the cowling. The accumulator sheet got a double bottom for easier installation of the Velcro tape. And I finally started covering the whole fuselage with soft 3mm balsa. Which is like painting a room - the preparation needs longer than the subject itself. I use a sponge to apply a bit of water to the outside of the balsa for easier bending.

For cutting out balsa parts, I pin the paper template onto the balsa and carefully cut along the paper with a sharp knife. Needs a calm hand, but works quick and fine. For 5mm balsa I need several cuts with little force to cut through completely.

53.jpg

54.jpg

55.jpg

56.jpg

57.jpg

58.jpg

Edited By Timo Starkloff on 17/01/2016 16:31:42

Thanks everyone. I also enjoy following building threads and so you have to give something back. It's good to see there are many experienced builder with many good ideas who still build and sometimes construct their own models. And of course, a forum thread is kind of a self-motivation during times when building is exhausting.

Regards, Timo

Thanks! From now on, there is only little progress visible. Now come all the small tasks to finish the wood work on the plane...

For the screws I always add a sheet of 0.8mm plywood on each side of the wing. It means more strength for the wing and secures that the screw breaks at this sharp point to give the wing free in case of an accident.

I also added the wires for the tail servos through the small holes, which meant more work than planned. I have to change that for the drawings and put the cable tubes a bit higher.

75.jpg

76.jpg

And I bent a 2mm wire for the tail wheel. The wire is glued to the rudder the same way as I do the aileron control for small aircombat models. The small brass tube will be later glued to the fuselage.

The TK4 had a fixed tailskid. But for a small rc model, this would mean problems for turning on the airfield, especially in windy conditions.

81.jpg

82.jpg

Edited By Timo Starkloff on 06/02/2016 19:16:30