de Havilland Aeronatical Technical School T.K. 4 from 1937

Timo Starkloff

Thanks, it's also enjoyable for me

Old accumulators are sometimes useful as a weight. After over night drying, I controlled the spinner position, shaped the fuselage nose inside and outside and glued it to the fuselage.

At the same time, I worked further on the wing fairing.

85.jpg

86.jpg

87.jpg

88.jpg

89.jpg

90.jpg

Edited By Timo Starkloff on 07/02/2016 11:38:14

Edited By Timo Starkloff on 07/02/2016 11:38:26

Edited By Timo Starkloff on 07/02/2016 11:39:07

Although it seems to be hard work with all those fairings, I'm really looking forward to cover the model with ironing film.

Working further on the accumulator hatch and the canopy. The master model got covered with three layers of 163 g/dm² glass fibre.

And with a nearly finished fuselage, I continued work on the wing.

104.jpg

105.jpg

106.jpg

107.jpg

108.jpg

Edited By Timo Starkloff on 21/02/2016 14:32:37

I normally prefer bigger parts for planking, but (many) parts of the TK4 are bent in every possible direction. Just takes some patience.

Any idea how the chair could look like? I don't have a picture or drawing about the one of the original TK4. Thought about a building a similar one like on other smal planes from this time, but most pictures just show the instrument panel.

Timo

Edited By Timo Starkloff on 25/02/2016 19:39:29

Edited By Timo Starkloff on 25/02/2016 19:40:02

Wooden planes always look great, but I think the TK4 must look good in bright red. But one day I have to build a vintage glider to keep the wooden surface.

Further work done on the flaps, ailerons and landing gear cover. They also cheated on the original by increasing wing thickness and fuselage for the landing gear. Small plane and little space for everything.

Timo

117.jpg

I always make triangular strips on my own. It's cheaper, I can choose quality and the kind of balsa and of course can make them in every size.

118.jpg

119.jpg

The original TK4 had split flaps. I have no experience in those and the wing is very thin, so I decided to build slotted flaps which worked amazingly well on my last planes.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks, John. Weather is getting warmer and better, so I should look to get it in airworthy condition.

Today I prepared the hinges and horns with a fast sanding primer and afterwards with red Humbrol colour, leftover from the 1/72 de Havilland Comet and TK4. The last piece to make wing and fuselage fit was to add a bit of epoxy mixed with micro ballons for easy sanding.

And I started covering the fuselage. Building the fairings was quiet some work, but covering isn't easier. Instead of the small ones for modeling I just use a normal iron. It works for decades without failure, heats up fast and holds the temperature quiet long due to the higher mass.

Timo

133.jpg

134.jpg

135.jpg

136.jpg