de Havilland Aeronatical Technical School T.K. 4 from 1937

Timo Starkloff

The Comet was built by De Havilland in 1934 for the longe range England-Australia race. The TK4 was a students project in 1937. While it is possible that supervising engineers have experience from the Comet, the TK4 is a unique design on its own. The goal was to build a racer as small as possible with minimum drag. Due to the same kind of motor, the look of the cowling looks similar. But the Comet had the much more powerful and bigger engine (same as in the Mew Gull).

Timo

Edited By Timo Starkloff on 25/06/2018 12:22:37

Hello Joshua,

if you can wait a bit longer, I will translate plan and manual to English. I just finished plan for the German FMT magazine and it will be published there in two issues July and August.

I also wanted to write an article for RCME and mention the possibility to get a plan. But I first want to finish translation. This plan will be bilingual in German/English and in bigger size and more comfortable compared to the small space available in the FMT magazine.

There will be more news about DHAeTS and the De Havilland Museum soon. Four weeks from now, my wife and me will make a short trip to England to attend the 90th anniversary of DHAeTS at DH Museum, organised in a small and private event by former students of DHAeTS. So the story of that plane is still going on for me and still very exciting.

Timo

• 1 month later...

My wife and me are back from a short but exciting trip to England. The 90th anniversary of DHAeTS was an absolutely great event. We met many nice people and had good conversations. A unique surrounding beneath the tables was provided by the museums three Mosquitos, including the still existing prototype (the one with the yellow underside, freshly restored last year).

With the last students of DHAeTS finished in 1965 (the school got part of bigger companies), the age of most members was between 80 and 90. Around 40 of the about 70-80 participants were ex DH students, the others family members or friends. All those stories were most interesting and exciting. After their apprenticeship they went either to production or construction of DH aeroplanes or rockets. Some changed later to other companies. Several haven’t seen each other not since long time. Often the pilots are in the foreground. But this time it was the backbone of the DH company which built and designed all those famous planes.

The picture of us around the table is from Ken Pye who allowed me to post it here. Most of my pictures are still on my camera. Additionally I made many notes which I also have to look through.

We stayed near to Hatfield at Davids home with whom we visited the museum already last year. I got in contact with him many years ago through the TK4 research. He started at DHAeTS in 1953 and is not the youngest anymore but once again organised so many things for us with a great effort.

Timo

f925851c-fc90-4f6a-ba2c-0dd12a3822ea.jpeg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Contact with ex employees from De Havilland is still fine (including personal meetings and many good stories to hear) and the model TK4 still flying. Now with a new motor since the old one destroyed himself. Something went loose inside and I think it's because of some vibrations I had two years ago.

Some flights were needed to get the correct centre of gravity again. The new motor is a bit more powerful but also heavier. And the TK4 is still very responsive concerning any changes. But the flights have been very satisfying. In August we've had our week of model flying on a glider airfield again. 600 metres for starts and landing is really something. Especially nice for the TK4 because I can fly a wide circuit, flatten out for a long time and reduce power very slowly after touchdown, still keeping the tail up for some time.

Timo

202.jpg

203.jpg

A wonderful story, Timo. And a wonderful aeroplane I always fancied building a model of. I love the sports planes of the thirties.

I saw my first model turbine on a weekend off when I worked in Germany. It was near Wartburg. Happy memories of my time in Germany.

Have you been able to publish plans for the TK4?

Cheers,

Martin

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Martin, it seems I missed to post some recent parts of the TK4 story. Yes, finally I was able to finish plans and article. It got published last summer in two issues of the German FMT magazine. There was a vote among readers about the plans in the magazine and I was able to get the second place.

Unfortunately I was not able yet to translate the plans in English. The longer than expected work on the TK4 plans delayed some new ideas and projects and I was keen on building those new models.

Nice to hear about your experience in Germany! Maybe it was Eisenach near the castle Wartburg? It's a nice region, part of my family lives there. I visited Cosford museum this year with a friend from Somerset which was very exciting and was able to fly in a glider at Dunstable due to another friend from DH. Always great to have a good contact to other countries

Timo

8355d516-46af-4bca-ad58-f71876387dec.jpeg

Hi Timo,

it was indeed Eisenach and later that day I climbed up to the Wartburg and was blown away by the Romanesque architecture and the HUGE well in the courtyard.

While I was there an orchestra and singers were doing a Wagner concert, which was coming out of the open windows. The bass singer was hanging out of the window having crafty cigarettes the whole time, between his songs! I have it all on video somewhere.

I always used to go sight-seeing when the work was held up and was never disappointed. Germany is beautiful.

Martin

• 2 years later...

After a break last year I flew the TK4 more often this summer. Good practice helps with that model for safe flying. It's not too complicated due to good low speed handling, just a bit demanding because constant steering is necessary on start and landings. For me it's the perfect trainer for tail draggers.

With the TK4 I took part at two model meetings, one in Switzerland/Huttwil and the other in Thuringia/Bad Langensalza.

Very nice but rare is a meeting with other racers from the 1930s, especially in same size. Pictures below are with a Caudron 450 and from a very good friend the Miss Los Angeles.

Timo

IMG_4094.JPG

IMG_3241.JPG

IMG_3244.JPG

• Like 4