Chris's Bella Ballerina HD

McG 6969

@ Bob

Thank you for the tip. I visited the Jivaro site several times already. There is a lot of very useful information about Depron techniques over there and Laurent is a very helpful modeler. It's very probably his assistance that convinced me to have a go at the 'hybrid' version of the Bella Ballerina.

The UHU Creativ is a neoprene type with good flexibility when cured but the Por seems more adequate as a contact adhesive for Depron. Sader (made by Bostik France) is in fact an outdoor PU wood glue and is comparable to my Soudal PU. Thanks again, Bob.

@ Peter

Wauw... that sounds 'easy' to me... so, at least you didn't experience my kind of 'nearly-full-darkness-in-the-tunnel', then? Must have been some wonderful times... wink

Happy tunneling

Chris

Brussels, Belgium

Posted by Peter Miller on 03/01/2016 09:48:33:
Posted by McG 6969 on 03/01/2016 06:45:59:

Thank you gentlemen,

Were you all that confused as well when starting your 'careers'?

When I started modelling we had balsa cement. End of story! smiley

Snap! Humbrol balsa cement smelled great! crook Although it wasn't as long ago as Peter! wink

I don't think it was that confusing years ago, just far less choice.

Please Gentlemen, don't ask me to get some balsa cement as well... surprise

I really do have already enough tubes, jars, pots, blisters, bottles, and so on in the testing row... ppfff

Well, if the smell is really that 'special' , I might give it a try... wink

But at the moment, I'm concentrating on the ammonia smell of some latex rubber...

Happy cementing

Chris

Brussels, Belgium

ps: ... and I thought the newcomers could expect some help from the Master Builders... crying

Yesterday, I was distracted from my glues & chemicals testing and “Yes, Your Honour, I didn’t shoot the sheriff, but I’ve been ‘robbing’ the bank!

I really had to buy some aliphatic & super-phatic as I felt a bit sad here with no light in my tunnel. While online, I couldn’t resist for some Modeller’s Glue, some Micro Balloons & Sand ‘n Seal as well. “One should go on testing”, I thought. blush

Let’s then have a look at that Perma-Grit site. “Yes, Your Honour”.

Ok then, simples. A Straight 280mm, a Wedge 140mm, a 3mm Spar Cutter & a 6mm one will do. Check!

Getting back to Earth, I realised that I could have bought 2 HK ARF’s (waiting for the discount tag to appear) for that kind of money… indecision

But now at least I know that I’m officially a (still minority though) shareholder of Royal Mail… angel

Happy Modelling

Chris

Brussels, Belgium

Hi John,

Yes, plenty of (Far East) 'cheap' pins, adult clothes pins & 4 different types of clamps already. wink

Never thought though that starting a modelling workshop from scratch would need that much stuff.

The Einhell jigsaw & pillar drill were presents of the LotH, but I think she is going to sponsor next summer holiday as well (she doesn't know yet !) ... surprise

Happy work-shopping

Chris

Belgium, Brussels

Hello everybody,

While I was cleaning up some storage room to find a home for all those bottles, pots & tubes involved in my latest madness, I discovered a bottle of Latex Rubber with an apparently quite long shelve life. Sure I wasn’t going to throw that in the bin.

An artistic friend of mine has carved a pilot (+/- 1:6 scale, I think) for the office of the Bella Ballerina. Looking for some inspiration on the web, she ended up with a very nice figurine torso made out Polymer Clay. It’s some kind of plasticine that you can 'bake' in the oven when carved/finished. Quite heavy but rock solid.

So, I decided to experiment with latex moulding as I had it lying around (& silicone moulding is a lot more expensive!), to try to cast some 2K-Styrene (or Urethane) & hopefully get a lightweight figurine.

229_busteply.jpg

First job is to ad a ply base (covered with packing tape) double-sided taped to Pierre (I guess I just enjoy to give names) & to spray some release/de-moulding agent over him.

The process with the latex was a long one. They do sell some 'thickener' for the latex to allow for some thicker layers and a perceptive gain of working time.

But - being stupid - I decided not to spend some money on that... and ended with applying 10-12 layers of that thin rubber waiting for some 15 minutes intervals between each layer !!!

232_bustelatex.jpg

After waiting about 24 hours to fully cure, I was quite curious about that one... but I got myself a nice looking Rubberized Pierre Clone.

234_plugsketch.jpg

Then, I roughly sketched an internal plug for Pierre & built it laminating some layers of 3mm ply. A bit of sanding, installing a dowel for handling and support, followed by a few layers of latex for easy release. Et voila.

243_pluglatex.jpg

Up to the casting now…

Happy latexing

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Mould Control

Very interesting Chris

It is surprisingly difficult to find decent pilot figures so I have been considering taking the same route as you. Unfortunately I don't have such good artistic friend so I have been watching the carving videos on Youtube. Can't wait to see your first cast!

Well done Chris that looks excellent. You could try rota moulding by filling the mould to roughly a third then holding a piece of plastic over the opening and tumbling or rotating the mould in your hands until the resin sets, Urethane only takes about 5 minutes

Gives a nice thin cast

Cheers

Danny

Edited By Danny Fenton on 06/01/2016 13:00:28

That's cool. Masher is right, good pilots at a believable price are hard to find.

I really like painting pilots - its a bit childish I know but I do enjoy fettling all the little details of the harness and googles etc.

Here a picture from my build in the 2013 MB of the Tucano of the cockpit hatch I made, I really enjoyed doing these boys:

tucano 85.jpg

These were just latex mouldings the same as the one you have done Chris - but I bought them not made them like you. Wash the latex in warm soapy water to clean it, then dry carefully and paint.

So, more buying of pots due now Chris! You need some nice acryllic paints to make Pierre look the part!

BEB

Thank you for your nice words, Danny.

I had been thinking about 'rotation moulding' (as a lot of Belgian 'chocolatiers' use that method for their creations) but wasn't aware of the short curing time for Urethane.

I'll definitely give it a try but I'll have to consider that the latex is very thin & soft and Pierre could look quite 'funny' or even like Quasimodo... surprise

Pierre #2 is curing in the workshop at the moment.

Maybe I'll be buying silicone after all. Thank you for the tip. wink

Cheers

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Cure Control

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 06/01/2016 13:08:21:

That's cool. Masher is right, good pilots at a believable price are hard to find.

I really like painting pilots - its a bit childish I know but I do enjoy fettling all the little details of the harness and googles etc.

Childish to paint pilots? We build and fly toy model aircraft! wink

Good work on the pilot painting, I like 'em.

If you want to learn how to paint pilots, have a look at the Games Workshop series of paints. They are wonderful for this sort of thing. Look at their tutorials as well which explain how to 'dry' brush and do highlights etc. Some of their artists and modellers are amazing

You just need to be able to keep a straight face when you ask for a pot of "puke green" or "skeleton white" or "Death Angel Red" or whatever.

Martyn

Here's a picture of them in place and one of the finished Tucano - Note! I expect all the Ballerinas we do this year to be better than that!

ALL Ballerinas, BEB ???

I think I'll better stop right away then...

... and emigrate to a nice Siberian salt mine a.s.a.p...

Happy emigrating

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Siberian Control

Hi to all,

As the latex mould is quite thin and very soft, I did a bit of research to find out that preparing a kind of ‘bedding’ of light white sand would resolve that weakness.

Some of you like to paint pilots, I love playing with Duplo blocks… and sand, of course…

244_duplo.jpg

So, a few blocks (not those expensive genuine Danish classics that Danny uses wink, but simple cheap clones!), some plastic bagging for the sand, installing Pierre upside down and spooning in some sand. Simples.

249_duplosand.jpg

Then hanging & centering the internal plug, carefully pouring some 2K- Urethane (1:1) & having a nice cup of patience... beer

253_duploplug.jpg

Pierre’s clone released very peacefully but the ply plug was a bit stuck and split in the process.

From the back Pierre was looking quite OK…

263_purpicback.jpg

But from the front, he looked as he had some bad time being a test-dummy for a Swedish car manufacturer…

266_purpicfront.jpg

When I was pouring the sand, gravity laws were fighting against the softest spots of the latex and Pierre’s face got badly squeezed at his left side.

Depending on the angle of view, the damage appears more or less important… ppfff.

268_picangle.jpg

Back to the ‘thinking-board’.

Happy urethaning

Chris

BRU – BE / CTR Latex Control

Edited By McG 6969 on 07/01/2016 08:52:46

Thanks Masher, but then the maneuvers could only be done in one direction...

And really not convinced that my Depron lady will stand any form of Gs. surprise

Well, I guess ‘Experimenting’ remains a self-explaining kind of action.

Happy Gee-ing

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Maneuver Control