Mark's Ballerina MK1

Mark Elen

Hi John,

In the small amounts used for this, I don't think there is much in it. I will get the scales out this week and have a measure, but my reasoning was because I'm going to go with transparent covering on this section and the bass is much more 'balsa' looking than spruce.

Cheers

Mark

Oops, I need to get the scales out. I'll do that later in the week. A little more done tonight. Horizontal stab cut from sheet and glued together. Middle 12 inches is medium, grain side to side, 4 inches at each tip is medium, grain front to back and rear 3/4 is hard strip. Hopefully this will not warp....

image.jpeg

Hi Peter,

It's probably overkill and a bit OTT, but as long as I cut it out accurately, the joint lines will give me a good reference point to use for alignment when it comes to gluing it in place. I'll use my usual 'cut it slightly oversize, then sand back to finish' method that I find easiest / most accurate.

Cheers

Mark

Hi All,

Today I've done the one bit of the fuselage build that I really wasn't looking forward to, the rear block fillets. I decided to make up a sacrificial fin/horizontal stab that could be pinned in place, whilst the blocks were glued onto F10, then I sanded the whole lot to shape and removed the sacrificial piece ready for the final assemblies to be glued in.

This worked really well. I spent quite a bit of time checking and double checking the seat was level and the fin was lined up. Photos show this better than my description...

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Cheers

Mark

Thanks John,

I've ordered one of those fancy sanding blocks that Peter mentions today from the States. It's a real shame Permagrit don't do a small 6mm / 1/4" half round internal block to make a neat semicircular section for tail leading edges. I'll cut out the tail pieces, then get on with engine mounting and throttle pushrod, then I can make up the cowl whilst I await its arrival.

Cheers

Mark