Mark's Ballerina MK1

Mark Elen

Hi Peter,

I'm surprised nobody in the UK seems to stock these as far as I can see.

I've now got the plan out for the wings and I've got a couple of questions regarding the undercarriage/mounting. Firstly, the beech block shown, has anyone managed to find a supplier for this size, or would it be sufficient to use ply with the hole reinforced with CA?

The other regards the length of the 'torque rod' part of the U/C. The length shown on the plan for just the leg is around 6" but the bearers are 8 3/4" (are the legs supposed to exit the bearer before the end of the bearer?)

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Many Thanks

Mark

Hi Peter,

Many thanks. The stuff they have is a bit too big, but I'll get some and rip it down in the proxxon. A bit more done today, but unfortunately no photos. Throttle servo and linkage installed and sorted. Now ready to build the cowl.

Been flying this morning with the RM. Lovely day for it here in Lincolnshire. 😎

Cheers

Mark

I'm still waiting for that fancy sander to land from the US, so today I got on with the wings.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Still got to install the paper tube before I finally glue in R1 and the u/c blocks.

One gotcha today. When I got the plan copied, they obviously didn't get it quite flat in the copier, so one of the folds of the plan ended up coming out on the copy at an angle. It's a fair bit out too. I ended up setting up with a straight edge and spacing the ribs with spacers on the bit that was wrong.

Cheers

Mark

Mark

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

Not had much chance lately to do any building, but tonight, SWMBO is watching Harry Potter, so I've managed to get an hour or so done. This little beauty turned up a few weeks ago

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

And tonight I've managed to get the elevator joiner cut and bent to shape and the elevators hinged. Just need to profile them and then do the same with the rudder.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Hopefully get a bit more done this next week or two.

Cheers

Mark

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the comments and a nice find there Colin. I bet I spent half a day searching for a UK stockist before I placed the order in the US. Made a mental note of that and it looks like they stock a few other Great Planes bits too. I bought one of each of the papers with my bar and as Peter says, the stuff is going to last for ages.

Chris, your build is an inspiration to me. I've been following right from the start.👍

Cheers

Mark

Ive ordered one of the "Greatplanes Multi contour sanders model GPMR6190" via Sussex Model Centres (they are in process of putting together an order to obtain these from the states ) . So if you fancy one then contact them quick! This is a pretty useful bit of kit (I bought one year before last and made mistake of lending it to someone !)

I tried Logic RC who are the new distributer for Great planes (ie effective end of 2016). They were very helpful but were unable to advise when they would have the full range of stock .

Seen one on Amazon UK for just over £40 inc postage (it was US$11 at Tower Hobbies!)

Peter . Lovely model. Looking forward to getting mine in the air when the weather is favorable.

Edited By Tomtom39 on 04/01/2017 13:07:32

Edited By Tomtom39 on 04/01/2017 13:19:24

Thanks for the comments guys. There is a niche in the market for those sanders, although, how many are going to sell is another story...... They are cheap enough if it wasn't for the import tax and fees associated. I had to pay the post office £16 on a $40 order. Outch.

One tip nearly complete and attached:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Spot the little 'adjuster' as I'd made both tips short by 1/16" 😁

One good thing about approaching these with trepidation is that it's given me time to come up with a cunning plan for getting the tip rib to the right size exactly, but that's for next time.

Cheers

Mark

Hello Mark, Your build is looking good.

I can sympathise with your experience re import duty/admin fee. I needed a spare part from HongKong for an electric motor (the UK distributer really mucked me about!) After eight months of promises etc I ordered the £12 item . I didn't mind paying VAT or import duty (added to total cost inc postage) but was disgusted at the additional £15 admin charge by Parcelforce. Having learnt my lesson , I now make up large orders or in this case I was aware that SMC do buy from the USA and asked them to get me one.