Craig's first build Ballerina

Well, I've not managed to do anything today other than nurse a hangover. Hopefully I'll get a chance to have a go tomorrow. Waiting for a delivery of glue to arrive. Have ordered some super phatic from slec. It's supposed to be good stuff. Would that be strong enough for undercarriage ply or should I use epoxy for that part?

Hi Craig.

The super phatic glue should be fine for that, you can use epoxy also. With glues there's always more than one useable solution and its very much personal preference and circumstance. I'll often use epoxy or an accelerated Cyano if speed is required.

John

Hi Craig,

aliphatic glues are very powerful, they work partly by penetrating the wood itself. In most cases the joint is at least as strong as the surrounding wood. Aliphatics also have the advantage that they sand well - certainly compared to PVA which goes a bit "rubbery" when sanded or epoxy which is hard work to sand!

You'll like the superphatic - its very good.

BEB

Thanks guys. When the glue arrives I can start.

I do have a question regarding the centre section of the wing, as I'm planning on fitting a servo in each wing, is there any modification I can make to the centre section? Could I not use an r2b rib each side as I will not need a ply plate to hold the servo that is in r1

Not sure if I've explained it very well but I know what I mean lol????

That looks good. Don't tell anyone but my parts often do not fit perfectly!! Building too fast!!

I use Aliphatic for most joints. I use the Superphatic just to flow in under the ribs. I also use it to flow between the skin and the U/C mmount. The rest of the joints are normal aliphatic as it is a bit more gap filling.

Once the wings are built up. Release the aileron from the build. I used a David plane to shave off some of the excess wood (having roughly drawn on the profile I wanted) and then finished this with a sanding block .

Sorry forgot to mention I had slotted the hinge holes first.

Edited By Tomtom39 on 03/01/2016 12:36:31

I too use a razor plane.

Years ago I bought a special sandung block from Tower Hobbies in the USA. It has a special shaped face. a /142 semi circle for rounding 1/4" sheet, 1 3/4" semi circle for round ting leading edges and a 90 degree V for shaping hinge lines. Not cheap with postage but it is used on EVERY model

One tip is to draw a centre line along the length of the hinge face, then add two lines to the upper and lower faces - say 3/8" in from the hinge face. These later lines don't have to be super accurate, they just a guide, they can be done quickly using a "finger gauge". These lines then act as a guide for the bevel which, as said above, can be done with a David plane or a sanding block. The centre of the bevel should align with the centre line on the end face and the flanks with the lines on the upper and lower surfaces.

As others have said do the hinge slots/holes before producing the bevel positioning them on the centre line.

BEB

Hi Craig

First you need to trace a line in the middle of the LE. My preferred method for this is to measure the height of the LE in both ends, and mark them with a fine pen. Then place a pin in each of the marks and then place a ruler so that the edge is in contact with both pins, and trace a line. I normaly place the ruler in both sides of the pins so that I'll end with two parallel lines very very close. The space between the two lines is the middle line of the aileron LE.

Next you have to trace another line at the top and bottom of the LE, parallel to the edge, and separated around 2-3 mm (for the Ballerina).

And finally, with a sanding block, you sand the LE between the middle line and both top and bottom lines. This should leave a horizontal V shape in the LE, with a bevel on top and bottom

Hi Craig,

I made a sanding tool for doing 1/4" for the model I'm doing at the moment, im going to be making a similar one for the Ballerina when I get started.

image.jpg

It's just a few bits of scrap ply cyanoed together with a strip of wet/dry glued on with cyano. Works a treat.

Regards

Mark