Craig's first build Ballerina

Thanks guys. So leave the leading edge until Aileron is built up.

Great tips there. Not done much again today. Kinda stuck until my glue turns up. I've got white pva but want to try this new stuff super phatic. I cut the wing tips out today and the tip ribs. They are a little fiddly to cut.

Its not a stupid question Craig - there is no such thing in an MB - but it does show very well what I was trying to say at the time. Once you have the wood in your hands and are actually able to try things together then a lot of things which can confuse on the plan suddenly become much clearer and much easier to solve than trying to "see" them in the abstract.

beb

Glue has turned up today. I really do think SLEC service is spot on. Ordered some bits late on nye and they arrived today. 1st class services. Tomorrow is on with the build. Will be popping to the model shop tomorrow to pick up the motor. Have decided to go for a Saito 56. It will be my 1st 4 stroke nitro. Still undecided on servos at the moment.

Hell, I've made the first mistake of the build so far. I've gut the rear spar 2 short. I've cut it up to the final rib, so the spar is the thickness of the rib too short. Only around 2mm. I did contemplate just gluing a little bit of 1/4 sq spar on so the outer rib will fit on but then I thought better of it. Luckily I've not glued any of the spars yet so have just removed the spar and replaced it with another on that is longer. Just cut another piece of cap strip and started again. No big deal, but lesson learned. I am a little bit annoyed with my self though as I had more than enough time to study the plan. Never mind, no harm done.

It's always best to get a new bit of balsa - the scrapped bit is always useful for somewhere else if it's of any size.

Spars are often best left over length by at least 1/4 inch or 6mm ( maybe more ) at each end to allow them to be cut off flush with a razor saw. Less than 3mm does not cut off cleanly so at least 6mm is best.. Quicker easier and neater than trying to get just the right length.

Posted by WolstonFlyer on 06/01/2016 20:20:42:
You could use the spar and make the wing 2mm shorter, just make the other one the same.

True, I guess I could. Don't suppose it would have much of an affect. I've just replaced the spar now. Due to work I'm not going to get anytime in the garage until Monday next week. But the wife if visiting her family for 3 days from Monday and I'm off work 😋😋😋 so it will be plane building and drinking beer in my pants for 3 days. All being well I should be able to finish the wing and cut out the fuselage parts.

Well, I've managed a little more progress today. Everything you see has now been glued.Undercarriage ply is fitted and glued. Picture does not show but I have added the triangle supports. Hoping to add the top spar webbing and aileron bits tomorrow. Also picking up the engine for it. Saito 56.

It's slow progress I know. But I'll get there. Slowly but surely. wing110_155930.jpg

I'm defo enjoying it. It's a great feeling knowing that I've done it all. All hand made.

I had a bit of a nightmare day yesterday. I opened the garage up to find my edge 540 laying on the floor along with the wings. Turns out the bracket has pulled out of the wall causing the plane to hit the concrete floor from 6 feet. Smashed the prop, canopy, and snapped the fuse stringer. Guess what I'll be doing once I've cleared the work bench.

I've just noticed my second mistake of the build so far. When I glued the undercarriage strip in I added the triangle stock for supports. Some were epoxied in and some were ca glued. My mistake was I've epoxyd triangle stock on the inner rib where the hard wood block goes for the undercarriage wire. DOH"...........

I've had to cut the stock out and sand down best I can. Think I've done a good enough job. Just need to glue the hard wood block in.

Note to self, "look at plan before gluing anything"

Hi Craig

I made exactly the same mistake. Fortunately, for R1A and R2A I used 1/4 sq pieces of hard wood instead of triangular balsa, so instead for removing the one I placed by mistake, I added another 1/4 piece to this one.

I had a worse case once, because I didn't put anything behind the rails to support the landing gear, and I only realized when I tried to place the LG in place and I noticed it to "softy" and loose. I had to remove all the upper skin in both wings...

You're doing a very good job! yes

Posted by Craig thomas 1 on 11/01/2016 08:24:12:

I've just noticed my second mistake of the build so far. When I glued the undercarriage strip in I added the triangle stock for supports. Some were epoxied in and some were ca glued. My mistake was I've epoxyd triangle stock on the inner rib where the hard wood block goes for the undercarriage wire. DOH"...........

I've had to cut the stock out and sand down best I can. Think I've done a good enough job. Just need to glue the hard wood block in.

Note to self, "look at plan before gluing anything"

As I say Craig - its only wood, almost anything is fixable!

BEB