Craig's first build Ballerina

Tomorrow I'm going to start on the wing tip. , then raise the lower sheet and add the leading edge strips. Is it better to leave the wing half pinned to the table whilst raising the lower sheeting or lift the wing and turn it over? And do I add the leading edge strips first or after sticking the sheeting.

Hi Craig.
I left mine pinned to the table while lifting the lower sheet, and added the LE afterward, following Peter Miller's method.
But this is the first time I do it this way. Normally I would unpin, add the LE strip (and sand to shape), turn it upside down, and glue the lower shetting, turn it again and glue the upper one.
I like PM's method and I would advise you to follow. I will do it in the future

The tip does not need to be made and certainly NOT fitted until the wing is complete.

I am sure that your model will be great. New builders tend to build far better than many older builders.

Many of us often work on the old addage "A good covering job will hide a bad building job. Nothing hides a bad covering job."

Posted by Peter Miller on 11/01/2016 18:35:38:

Many of us often work on the old addage "A good covering job will hide a bad building job. Nothing hides a bad covering job."

Ha Ha. Trouble is that covering seems to be a black art too. There a lot to learn. 🤓🤓

So leave the wing tips until untill the wing is complete.

The tip does not need to be made and certainly NOT fitted until the wing is complete.

I am sure that your model will be great. New builders tend to build far better than many older builders.

Set up in corner of field, fly far away wink

Another lesson learned. Be a little sparing with the glue. Up early this morning so decided to go and glue lower sheeting. I've noticed that when I epoxy'd the ply strip in to the ribs I dripped epoxy on the sheet so when I've raised the sheeting it won't sit flush to the ribs. Think I'm going to need some filler. Think I'm going to need a lot of filler by the end of the build. 🤔🤔🤔

Posted by john stones 1 on 11/01/2016 19:15:31:

Set up in corner of field, fly far away wink

And fly fast! wink

I can't KC. The board is nearly 6 foot. The Mrs would go mad. But fear not. Another lesson I've learned is to only build on a board small enough to be mobile. I can turn it round then as well. Seems to be taking ages this half wing. I think the second half will go together much faster though as I know what I'm doing. "Sort of"

The 1/8"ply plate with the blind nuts is glued up inside the fuselage . IT is set in about 1/4 to 3/8" and should be parallel wit the bottom of the wing.

Then the balsa is added to build it up flush with the fuselage sided. It is not attached to the wing at all except by the bolts which hold the wing on.

The basla adds a lot of gluing area and also allow the shape to match the wing surface

There is 1/16" ply plate glued to the bottom of the wing to prevent the bolts from pulling through the wing.

I think the wing centre section is sheeted with 1/16 balsa top and bottom and the ply plate goes onto the balsa to save the wingbolt heads pulling through. ( the ply is not glued direct to the ribs but to the sheeting This means the sheeting is held under the wing bolts too) To save the wing bolts crushing the wing there it is made solid with balsa under the sheeting. Also under the wing bolt plate is made solid with balsa.

Locating the place to put the holes for wing bolts is normally done by putting bolts in from the top of the captive nuts until they just protrude to touch the wing sheeting, bolt ends then have bootpolish or something so they leave a mark. Some use a nylon bolt sharpened in a pencil sharpener instead. That leaves an indentatio if its sharp.. Of course make sure the wing is square and dowel fully home into F2 before making these marks. If the captive nut plate is not parallel with wing underside then the bolts might come out at a different place to the planned holes.

tip3_150114.jpgNot sure if I've done something wrong here? I've started the second half of the wing today and have got as far as gluing the ribs in. But the noticed that the end rib seems to come up short? I've checked the other half of the wing and that's the same. The ribs are the exact same size as on the plan? It seems like the rib is a little too short for the wing tip?