Andys 120% ballerina

AndyD

Wing cube loading compares aircraft performance regardless of size, which wing loading can not do. I made a spreadsheet to assess models so they should have similar flight performance. WCL suggests a target weight of 7lb 7oz for Andy’s model to perfom like Peter’s. Here is the spreadsheet result. If anyone wants the formulae in the cells, PM me.

For more information see www.theampeer.org/CWL/reynolds.htm

ballerina wing cube loading.jpg

Hi Clive,i like that,7Ib 7oz im heading that way,im working sort of back to front on a lot of jobs,time consuming jobs at the weekend but smaller jobs of an evening,its working so far.had an accident today,not done this for many a year,bottom skin came adrift from one of the ribs so i thought a touch of super glue for quickness,it wicked straight through the previous pin holes onto my finger glueing my finger tightly to the wing,took about 15 mins to gently pry them apart,all ok but left with a tender spot on my poor old digit,

ps whats 6g in metric,is it just over 3mm,if so my wires under sized.

Posted by AndyD on 10/01/2016 16:07:28:

Hi Clive,i like that,7Ib 7oz im heading that way,im working sort of back to front on a lot of jobs,time consuming jobs at the weekend but smaller jobs of an evening,its working so far.had an accident today,not done this for many a year,bottom skin came adrift from one of the ribs so i thought a touch of super glue for quickness,it wicked straight through the previous pin holes onto my finger glueing my finger tightly to the wing,took about 15 mins to gently pry them apart,all ok but left with a tender spot on my poor old digit,

If you use CA you should kep a bottle of Acetone with you. Instant CA disolver. If you don't have that use nail varnish remover.

Acetone is great for cleaning and degreasing etc.

Posted by kc on 10/01/2016 16:50:34:

Clive, in your spreadsheet the figures for wing root & tip for the 62 and 120percent seem strange. What does 16 .1 and 24.1 mean?

Hi, KC

About the spreadsheet: those numbers mean I messed up a simple calculation. The correct values are:- for 16.1 read 12.3 and for 24.1 read 13. Fortunately it matters not as those values do not affect the outcome. They are there on my big spreadsheet for my own convenience but have no part in calculating Wing Cube Loading. I should have dropped them from this example.

Posted by Peter Miller on 10/01/2016 16:16:20:
Posted by AndyD on 10/01/2016 16:07:28:

8 SWG wire is just over 4 mm. 6 SWG wire is almost 5 mm

I use 8 SWG for my undercarriages. but you might need to go to 6 SWG.

I had someone who built one of my designs and who oand long and loud because the U/C was too floppy. Turned out that he was using 3mm wire.'cos he didn't buy 8 SWG wire 

Edited By Peter Miller on 11/01/2016 08:21:25

002.jpgthe wings finish is in site,le planed roughly to shape(more mess)how does a leading edge make so many shavings,tips tacked into place,65 inch wing is a fair size to make in my kitchen,spending more time trying not to bash the living daylights out of it on the walls an ceiling.001.jpg