Andys 120% ballerina

AndyD

was goin to start sorting the wing bolting but due to its size i will have to wait till tomorrow to get in the garage,but then again its goin to be very cold so it might be put on hold a little longer.apart from being cold i think its goin to be a nice flying day or do i stay in the warm and build.

004.jpg005.jpgthe wing is on and bolted,fair bit of trimming to get it to fit,i must keep to my own plans,iused 3/16 leading edge and odd piece of te/wider as well,nothing a plane couldnt handle,i also keep picking the fuz up by the stringers by accident,have not broke any yet but broken the glue joint a few times.i changed the wing tips a lttle by doing away with the last rib and puttig in another angle support,seems a bit less bendy on the bigger tip.001.jpg

016.jpgnot a lot done today,been flying,took old faithful su30 does almost anything,high alpha spins,not to good at knife edge,great for these wintery days and muddy sites.back to a bit of ballet,hollowed the fin blocks and glued them on,bent another set of thicker u/c legs and a well deserved tidy up ready to start on the wing capstrips.going to have to start working out the weight of it all so i can move onto the front of the fuz.001.jpg

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 14/01/2016 23:23:06:

Having a blog to keep going certainly can push you along. But that does look very smart andy - nice work indeed.

BEB

Also a great incentive to build a tidy model. My building improved considerable when I started blogging - improved again when I started taking my part built models to our monthly club night in the pub..

That's a very nice build Andy - it's looking great.

Flying before Feb I reckon

Martyn

not a lot done tonight,i was goin to do the capstrips,but after cutting some lenghts i remembered i better join my elevators which i forgot to do even after talking about them.trying to decide which colour to put with my yellow solartex,i useually go red but then so many of my home builds end up red and yellow.

002.jpgyou learn something every day i didnt know they painted wasps lol.capstrips are now done ready for the sanding,still the horn plates to do but got to find some ply,should be some in my scrap box but thats out in the garage and its too cold to go rumidgeing,wimpish i know.001.jpg

003.jpgfitted some hinge blocks for the ail hinges,sorted my hinges from my spares box all different sizes for the different control surfaces but at least its used up a lot of them.i estimated the weight of the wing at about 1 Ib,couple of oz over so im happy with that.a couple of pics one in english and one in the other thingy.002.jpg

i remember talking to a fellow flyer a fair few years ago about making planes and his responce was he wasnt a good enough builder and he would never be able to get the right wing angles and things true enough to fly.i then reminded him of his trainer,after goin solo and a bit more aggresive in his flying there was a loud bang to which he replyed its not flying properly,on landing the planes wing le edge had jumped up half an inch and to one side about the same onto the front of the fuz,(the bang was the wing lifting from the fuz and slapping back down again,not enough wing bands) so to anyone thinking to start building go ahead,its got to be really bad not to fly,it wont win any aerobatic comps though,also back in the 80s another builder cut is own foam wings for a spitfire,one wing obviuosly had a bow in the wing you could see straight away but he flew it for many a year.take the plunge and have fun.

005.jpg008.jpg006.jpgthe first plane i ever made was the flair pupperteer,i was off work for some reason and wanted something to do,i didnt intend to fly her untill a friend sussgested it,but i saw sence and built DBs pronto,X marks the spot of the first flight,after two attemps i got wise an joined a club.007.jpg