Low Pass Pete's Build Thread for Ballerina

Well Ballerina build is underway.

Originally I planned to use an OS48 but finally decided to borrow an OS52 Surpass from another project.. The 52 is la wee bit longer so elected to shorten the Fus sides at the nose by about 1/4inch to be able to keep things in line with Peter's plan.

I an also inverting the engine as this will make the lines a bit smoother and make install easier on the eye. However I expect to make the lower part of the cowl removable (similar to PMs Werewolf plan which I built a while back in 2009). The removable cowl will help with maintenance etc. I have also made the tank access in F2 larger as I expect that the tank will need to sit a bit lower down due to carb being lower down.

img_5019.jpg

img_5018.jpgimg_5017.jpg

Edited By Low pass Pete on 09/01/2016 15:09:53

Edited By Low pass Pete on 09/01/2016 15:12:19

Taking shape very nicely! I see you are a "fuselage first" man like myself. I've no idea why really, but I always build the fuse first, then the wings then finally the tailplane. It might have something to do with the fact that of all the aspects of building the one I least like is wings! Which is strange from someone who's built a fair few biplanes in his time!

BEB

Yes always fuselage first as I like to sort the engine install and servos. Also you can sort out really important things such as Pilot and instruments.wink

I'm also gong for mini-servos on the ailerons as I have some spare at the moment.

Peter

PS

If anyone has a spare OS52 I would love to get my hands on another. They really are good engines. Why on earth did OS cease production?

• 2 weeks later...

Wings now underway. This is a trial fit of starboard wing ribs.

I bought the CNC pack so progress is fairly easy. I went to Staples and go them to do a reverse print of the wing. (thanks for the tip from one of the other blogs on that, very simple solution when building the port wing).

Point noted on CNC parts. the ply doublers for UC block are sized incorrectly. They are too narrow so a mod will be required to correct the error.

img_5022.jpg

Hi Guys

Your pictures are tempting me towards this traditional build as good work always photographs well.

Both the 48 and the 52 Surpass behave superbly, and sound like the real thing, as I still fly both regularly, both

bought from new, the 48 I beleive has done 17 years, but put me right if I am remembering the wrong season that I

bought it.

Hi Dennis

The 48 could easily be 17 years old. I have one that I bought 2nd hand possibly 18 years ago. I decided to use a 52 as it was not in an airframe and my 48 was in a small Ripmax Tiger Moth which it suits very well.

What is interesting is that my local model shop (Inwoods) say that they have had a run on small 4 strokes such as Saitos. I wonder if this could be related to the mass build?

Regards

Peter

Percy and Pete

Coincidently with your comments on parts shortage, I was desperate for a new needle for the 48, and found a guy on the common auction site who had many spares, in Canada ! He was very reasonable and so too the airmail.

There does, as you say, seem to be a revival in small 4 strokes due to these Mass Builds, as most you see, many have a 4 stroke at the front, negating noise issues to boot.

It is difficult to combine a better duo than balsa and an oily 4 stroke.

• 3 weeks later...

Have been somewhat busy recently so have not been able to do updates. However here is my progress. Wing is substationally completed with servos sorted and tip nearing completionimg_5027.jpg

Here is a shot of wing tip

img_5031.jpg

img_5030.jpg

Wing servo are being used. They have inherited some parts from a model that re-kitted itself last yearsmiley

Fuz is coming along now. Progress was held by wing.

Used a dummy cut down 1/4 sheet to fill gap when adding and shaping fillets at tail. Cowling area will be next. More balsa dust and shavingswink

img_5025.jpg

img_5026.jpg

Posted by tony aimer on 16/02/2016 05:49:01:

Guys

I am just starting my ballerina here in Johannesburg.

Are the wing spars hardwood or balsa? All the pics I have seen

seem to indicate balsa but the plan does not call out the material

only the size.

Tony

Hi Tony. The Spars are 1/4" sq Balsa. Good luck with your build.