Low Pass Pete's Build Thread for Ballerina

Well most final jobs now done. Have just test run her in the garden and the engine looks good.

Overall weight wise she is just over 5lbs. I originally expected her to be nose heavy so I built a battery box just behind the wing. I checked the balance earlier and guess what, yep tail heavy! Quick move of the battery to under the tank has resolved that.

Peter suggested some 30s decals so I dug out some spare US markings and converted them with some red circles cut out using a compass cutter. Quite pleased with the result. I do think she looks better with the decals.

Final jobs are now just check of control movements and recharge of the battery and then she's ready to go.

Here she is just post engine run.

img_5283.jpg

Edited By Low pass Pete on 25/05/2016 15:42:58

Well my Ballerina has successfully flown. Needed a bit of up trim and a small amount of right trim to get her flying straight and level. First outing (5 flights) has shown that she has very nice manners and a very good knife edge potential. She looks great in the air.

Overall I am very pleased with the outcome and I'm sure she will be a favourite especially as she goes in the boot of my car fully assembled.

smiley

Peter

Edited By Low pass Pete on 30/05/2016 12:22:00

• 3 weeks later...

I do not have any in flight photos of my Ballerina but can report that she flies really well. It has quickly become a favourite and I would recommend this design to anyone wanting a great all round model that is easy on the eye and flies brilliantly.

Modifications I made were as follows:

1. Engine firewall was moved back 1/4 inch to keep prop line in line with PMs original design as I was using an OS 52 which is a tad longer than an OS40

2. I used individual aileron servos, PMs plan used one only centrally mounted.

3. I inverted the engine. My OS52 runs really well in this configuration. It did make the throttle linkage more difficult when installing the engine however.

Hope that is informative and helpful if you are considering this design. I love it

Regards

Peter