Low Pass Pete's Build Thread for Ballerina

A wing with identical structure and rock hard balsa spar did not fail when the model recorded 24.8G in a pull out.

I recently picked up an almost new OS FS 52 on EBay for just over £100. That is going in my current project.

HI Tony. Looking forward to your buold blog too.

Pete, that is another lovely build.

Funnily enough the current project (Super Marauder) is usung the .52 inverted and a cowl rather like Werewolf.

Glad you liked Werewolf, it is a nice model. Now in the hands of a club member.

Progress today. Have made a start on the cowl area. I decided to use a 21/4 inch spinner as it seems to suit nicely. Also I am making the cowl much in line with the original by PM.  The photos below give an idea of where I'm heading basically using the TLAR method wink . Not finished yet but getting there. It is not finally shaped yet. You can see roughly where there will be a cut out for the exhaust.

img_5034.jpg

This underview shows that I have elected to have it mainly open for practical reasons.

img_5036.jpg

Edited By Low pass Pete on 16/02/2016 16:52:21

Edited By Low pass Pete on 16/02/2016 16:53:39

Hi Craig

I had originally intended to make the lower half removable but looking at it I have decided not to bother. I am leaving the lower open so do not think it needs to be removable. The access to the engine mount screws looks ok and also the screws for the mount if it has to be removed for any reason.

Cheers

Peter

Ref final covering etc. I'm intending to give my Ballerina a Reg. No. So G-BALL fits the bill and it does not seem to be used live on the civil register yetwink. Now to see what letters I have in stock before talking to Pyramid models. Does any one have a recommendation what style should be used?

Link to Pyramid

http://www.pyramidmodels.com/shop/section.php/41/1/letters_cnc_cut_vinyl

Ballerina by the way reminds me of a sport model I built many years ago called Mole by Dave Richardson http://gb.trapletshop.com/mole this was a very nice design (with flap option) that flew extremely well just as PM designs.   Mine simply faded away!  There was a biplane version as well called Bullfrog of I have the plan but have not built it so far

Edited By Low pass Pete on 17/02/2016 07:12:04

Edited By Low pass Pete on 17/02/2016 07:30:04

Edited By Low pass Pete on 17/02/2016 07:30:42

• 2 weeks later...

Progress has been very limited for the last 2 weeks or so as I have been laid low due to a hernia (very painful). sad. Op later this week.wink so hopefully I'll be back on form soon.

Anyway I have been able to finalise the pilot. Sourced from DB Sport and Scale. He seem more in keeping with the airframe. Just hope my paint work is up to scratch.

img_5043.jpg

Quite nose heavy with the ASP .52FS. I put the 6v RX battery tight up to the front of F4 under the cockpit floor and still needed 8g under the tail wheel to balance her for the maiden. I suspect she still needs at least another 2g on the tail as I put in quite a bit of up trim.

That was with the solid sheet tail surfaces too. laugh

• 5 weeks later...

Hi there everyone.

Well at last I have been able to get back to my build (post hernia op). More naked Ballerina pictures!!

As I expected the C of G with a 52 Surpass upfront was nose heavy so I have built a battery box just behind the wing accessed from underneath. Looking at weight mine it seems to be about 41/2 lb uncovered, so not as light as some.

Have uploaded photos to my album but for some reason do not seem to be able to import to this blog yet.  Will try later

Peter

Edited By Low pass Pete on 30/03/2016 12:51:39

• 1 month later...

Hi Peter M et al. I have considered some 30s stars but had not finally decided yes or no. Looking at your photos I may well see about some as they do look very nice.

Thanks for all the comments. I have been looking through all the completed Ballerinas and I'm amazed at the variety. This Mass Build has been great and thanks to Peter for a really great plan to build from.

Looking forward to many happy flights.

Peter (Low pass)

THis is a compnay that I use a lot. Ahuge selection of excellent stickers of all sorts. Prices are very reasonable, Delivery is fast from Greece and you always get some extra related bonus stickers.

As far as I am concerned one big bonus is that they do 41 Squadron badges.

Yo can spend hours browsing for stickers and insignia here

**LINK**