WolstonFlyer's ballerina

Just starting off my build thread.

I am hoping to work on this one regularly in small chunks unlike my (as yet unfinished) model from last year that kept getting put away for weeks on end due to work. I will get the Tinker finished, in fact I did some work on it last week and made a lot of progress, just have one wing to build.

My ballerina is going to be electric, running a 4c battery, Turnigy Aerodrive 4240-740 motor and probably a 10" or 11" prop (not sure yet), I also have a 60A Turnigy Plush ESC and I will probably use individual aileron servos.

So far I have bought a bundle of wood based on kc's materials list and been to the local copy shop to get a couple of copies of the plan made for using as templates.

I have cut out all of the formers and other main flat sheet parts, so tonight I am going to have a look at working out how to modify / reposition F1 to mount the motor (or wait to see what other people do) before I cut out the fuselage sides. I will also make a start on cutting the wing ribs by making a ply template to cut around.

ballerina1.jpg

Cutting the Lite-ply for F6 and F4 was quite easy with a scalpel. I had to find a fretsaw to cut F2, which I have modified to make the wing dowel hole higher as per notes suggested by others, I have also made the central hole larger to hopefully fit a battery tray in the front of the model (detail to be worked out).

ballerina2.jpg

Edited By WolstonFlyer on 02/01/2016 16:29:11

Hi WolstonFlyer,

Welcome to the Club.

I'll try to build a 'hybrid' version as well. Meaning to combine Depron & balsa for my Bella Ballerina.

Going for electric also and considering the front section, I'm thinking (not decided yet) about leaving F1 where it is (cutted inside for the Lipo) and adding a F0 (?) about 40-50 mm in front of it to become the motor mount. But then my problem is a bit different than yours as mine has to be a 'closed ply box' only surrounded by foam.

Happy calculating

Chris

Brussels, Belgium

Hi Wolston,

of course you'll finish - we'll keep on encouraging you!

Like you, I have a pretty demanding job and family. Sometimes I too find it difficult to get in the shed and get stuff done. The problem we all have is that we sometimes seem to believe that unless we can devote at least an hour or two its not worth starting. But an hour or two isn't always easy to find - is it?

But the secret is I think that even if you do just the smallest bit - stick one bit of wood in place - each day, you will get there. So, ask yourself (as I say to myself) "are you really saying you can't find 5 minutes in the whole day" - of course you can! So use that - do something on the model, even if its just a tiny bit. It all adds up.

BEB

Thanks for the encouragement everybody!

One of my problems is that I don't have a shed or anywhere I can leave a model out to work on it. My 'workbench' is the kitchen table so everything has to be got out and cleared away again, which all takes time - I must be mad!

Colin - the Tucano is still not flown. Had a bit of an accident with it when moving things about at home and unfortunately broke the wing in two. It is on my even longer list of things to sort out, I am sure it will repair.

Some building does need space, but a lot can be done on a smaller board - KC showed this a day or two ago in an interesting post here.

With such a smaller board that could be stored out of the way on top of a cupboard/warrobe etc. would it not be possible to keep things out, just to help you?

BEB

10 Years John - that is a long term project!

Great idea BEB, I will have to sort out a small(ish) building board, 4' x 18" as kc suggests would probably be a good size to put somewhere with a part built model on it - I will have a think about that.

Made a bit more progress by cutting out the two lite ply ribs, just the holes to drill. I think I might be able to use them as the template to shape the balsa ribs, I have seen people stack them all up and sand the whole sandwich of ribs to shape at once, I think I will give that a go.

ballerina3.jpg

4 foot board is ideal but you only need about 30 inches for most models that RCME publish as free plans. Most wings are built as 2 pieces then joined with some dihedral Some exceptions but if space is tight then a small board is OK.

Posted by WolstonFlyer on 02/01/2016 22:36:10:

Thanks for the encouragement everybody!

One of my problems is that I don't have a shed or anywhere I can leave a model out to work on it. My 'workbench' is the kitchen table so everything has to be got out and cleared away again, which all takes time - I must be mad!

Colin - the Tucano is still not flown. Had a bit of an accident with it when moving things about at home and unfortunately broke the wing in two. It is on my even longer list of things to sort out, I am sure it will repair.

Hi Wolston

I've built most of my models in the kitchen: first, my parents' kitchen, then my own house's kitchen (that includes many 81+ inches ws...). In my current house, I have a garage that initially was my workshop, but now it has become basically a warehouse of everything, so I've moved my workshop to the living room (my current kitchen is too small...)

So don't worry about that, as long as you don't do all the sanding inside the house, it should be ok wink

I'm following your blog with interest! thumbs up

Not at work today, schools are closed for teacher training, so after taking my little ones to the local indoor soft play area (I call it hell on earth) for a few hours I have continued with making my kit of parts.

ballerina4.jpg

ballerina5.jpg

I have got all of the wing ribs cut out and a few other extra bits. I hope they are accurate enough!

Still have to make the dihedral brace and a few other plywood parts, hopefully get that done later tonight or tomorrow.

ballerina6.jpg

Posted by Peter Miller on 04/01/2016 21:10:59:

Ah, these people who have to cut them out all at once.

A good template from 1/16 ply and a leisurely hour at the bench and a complet set of ribs with minimum wastage.

Peter - it's the first time I have ever cut a set of wing ribs so just copied what I have seen on many other build blogs from experts.

There didn't seem to be a way to fit more than 6 ribs on a sheet of 3" wide balsa cutting them one at a time and I didn't sand it all away, I have lots of triangle offcuts and what was left off the end of each plank that can be used.