WolstonFlyer's ballerina

Re your earlier comments about the David plane, I also find it appears not to be absolutely sharp so I tend to use it an angle which seems to cut more easily.

Build is coming along nicely.

l think you've got the makings of a nice colour scheme lurking under the wing smiley

Thanks for the tip about cutting at an angle John, I am going to have a go a stropping the blade on my leather knife sharpening board with some buffing compound, that might put more of an edge on it.

I think the heavy duty plastic tablecloth will be a bit heavy as covering material! Actually I have no idea what the colour of my model will be yet.

I also need to pick some servos, I am not sure what size to go for, are the TGY-90S good enough for this model, I have 4 spare ones in stock in my parts box: **LINK**

Edited By WolstonFlyer on 06/02/2016 23:16:10

I'm using Corona DS339MGs on mine, they're metal geared and rated at 5kg.cm at 6v - BUT - the lugs are a bit brittle so they need to have the mounting screw holes drilled accurately to avoid any undue stress on the lugs. Once installed they seem ok, I've got them in a 60 size Curare where they have worked fine so far.

Hi wolstonflyer.

I see from your thread you made the same mistake as me with the bottom sheeting. I done the same as you and cut mine flush. I could have kicked myself once I realised what I done. But it's not the end of the world. Servo wise I've chose standard size savox sv0320. Probably slightly overrated but I figure I can always put them into my next project in years to come.

• 2 months later...

I couldn't find any spray contact adhesive in the local DIY shops, so I got a small tube for a couple of pounds and it was plenty to do this job.

ballerina18.jpg

I even remembered to make two opposite sides! I am amazed at how much extra strength the doublers give, they make a huge difference.

ballerina19.jpg

and now I am high on glue fumes and strong coffee (don't sniff glue kids devil)

Edited By WolstonFlyer on 17/04/2016 14:19:09

Posted by WolstonFlyer on 17/04/2016 14:16:27:

I couldn't find any spray contact adhesive in the local DIY shops, so I got a small tube for a couple of pounds and it was plenty to do this job.

........and now I am high on glue fumes and strong coffee (don't sniff glue kids devil)

At least that tells you that you have the right type of contact glue!laugh

Looking Good! yes

I prefer contact adhesive for doublers simply because it does stretch a little if you need to bend the sides when building the fuselage. I used to use PVA but found it too rigid when bending the sides!

Also a lot neater than when I use spray contact adhesive, I seem to get it everywhere! laugh

• 2 weeks later...

I have started putting the formers in.

Trying out my new building jig so starting with F2 and then when that has dried I will get both sides joined and in the jig then add the other formers.

I am not sure how I am mounting the motor yet so F1 will be added last.

Sorry about the reflection from the overhead velux window.

ballerina20.jpg

Yes, there was an error.on my original plan the plan vew taper started atthe trailing edge of the wing. For some reason the draftsman started it at tthe next former back. It still work but you do get the hump bacl.

NOTE also that the tailplane should be glued up against F-10. Don't ask me why that was moved.

Today I m checking my next plan for errors for the third time. This one should be right.