Greenacres 2016 Fly-ins

• 4 weeks later...
Posted by Ben Kelly on 17/04/2016 10:16:03:
Will multirotors be allowed to fly at these events? I would love to get some aerial video of the action.

I'm not sure that mixing a drone/multi rotor with fixed wing traffic would be good idea due to the risk of a mid-air collision. In my experience planes are easier to spot in the circuit than a (usually) smaller drone. I suppose filming just one airborne plane at a time could work though? I'm not aiming to be negative, but there's a good reason that fixed wing and helis are kept apart at most flying fields.

Posted by Bill_B on 10/05/2016 19:31:40:
Posted by Ben Kelly on 17/04/2016 10:16:03:
Will multirotors be allowed to fly at these events? I would love to get some aerial video of the action.

I'm not sure that mixing a drone/multi rotor with fixed wing traffic would be good idea due to the risk of a mid-air collision. In my experience planes are easier to spot in the circuit than a (usually) smaller drone. I suppose filming just one airborne plane at a time could work though? I'm not aiming to be negative, but there's a good reason that fixed wing and helis are kept apart at most flying fields.

Even though I agree with what you are saying, (and not to mention the fact that I have been told by the organisers that drones will not be allowed to fly during the main event on the day) I believe that if a pilot was flying a drone using fpv there would be a great drop in the risk of a collision because you don't loose the depth perception like when flying a fixed wing model. Obviously the drone pilot would have to abide by all the normal rules and stay in a circuit which wouldn't be hard with a racing quad and believe me, chasing a plane around the sky with a quad is very exciting.

I think that the problem here is that although the Quad FPV flyer may be able to see his target, the rest cannot see him. There are normally six models in the air at any one time so helis or anything else hovering about the take off area must definitely be out other than in slots of their own. Now that RCME are no longer sponsoring the July event as I have heard, then the organisers should have a free rein to run it as they please I hope.

Posted by Martin McIntosh on 18/05/2016 15:04:43:

Now that RCME are no longer sponsoring the July event as I have heard, then the organisers should have a free rein to run it as they please I hope.

ooooh, nasty stuff Mr M.... RCM&E never imposed on the club or made any demands in any way through our 6 years of sponsorship.

I hope this weekend goes well and I'll be at the July event, camera in hand to shoot the Ballerina builders etc. See you all there.

Sadly I can't make it this weekend, don't get back from Spain for another 9 days. I hope it all goes well. I would have brought the Tucano, it's as good as new except for needing a new motor, which won't take long. The Seafang as well, hopefully I can bring that along in July. Have a great time everyone.

Posted by PAUL BRIDGES on 21/05/2016 19:49:04:

Hi all going to fly in tomorrow sunday what is the grass like or is it mud.....Hope for low wind and no rain....thanks bird dog ,storch, and more coming.....

Great shame about the Storch Paul. If it's any consolation the GMAC team awarded you the crash of the weekend award. sad

Nice to see the shark mouth Bird Dog again. We'll have to get all 3 flying together for at least one of the Greenacres weekends! yes

Posted by Ian Southerton 1 on 22/05/2016 19:55:43:

Only managed to stay for 3 hours before the wife dragged me away, but had a great time. It's inspired me to go flying more this year!

Thanks to all who organised and entertained at the event!

Ian

An obvious tip if I may: Don't involve the wife in anything aeronautical. Satisfaction is then guaranteed! wink