PSSA Chat

Phil Cooke

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is the place to ask but, I have recently bought turbocad for mac and wonder if anyone knows of an airfoil type programme that is compatible with said MAC, I am having an attempt at an own design PSS private jet. very simple straight taper wings etc and I can develop the ribs by hand ( is that digitally or not?) but would like to add to the learning curve by doing the whole thing in CAD it is mostly drawn up now with only ribs and formers to develop so any advice would be much appreciated. something with similar capabilities to Profili would be ideal.

Cheers Graham

• 2 weeks later...

Nice, thanks for posting! smile d

Also...

Ladies and Gents - only 10 days now until we are meeting at the north Wales sloping mecca, The Great Orme. In case you've missed it, there will (hopefully) be a BBQ on the go, so bring along your own food and a couple of quid for the fuel if you fancy it.

Only 1 whole week after that, we can all meet up again to compare our sunburn's progress - officially at Wellesbourne airfield for the Wings and Wheels event on Sunday the 19th (fast taxi by a Vulcan and other nice stuff flying, plus a PSS picnic). UNofficially, we are trying to get together on the Saturday before this (18th) at Weston Park Model Show. This gives us a fun weekend of aviation overload, and a chance to see some model and full size flying, and perhaps to re-stock the balsa and hardware supplies halfway through the year too.

Either myself or Phil will update this thread on a rendezvous point for both events nearer the time.

Safe landings.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Quick post - thought I would share this- knowing the large interest in V bombers in the PSS circle!

In this months (December 2016) Aeroplane Monthly there is a cracking - free- 2017 calendar - its full of classic black and white archive photographs of the three V bombers - in various schemes, mainly 1950's images!

Just to add - I do not have any commercial link etc etc with AM - I am just a subscriber!

Mine will sit over my modelling bench all next year!smiley

• 5 months later...

Hi Guys, I was give the airframe shown below by a friend who was about to bin it. He'd been given it some time ago. He thought it was a Percival Provost. Having looked at some photos on 'tinternet, the tail plane/fin area looks about right for this but the canopy is too rounded. The registration numbers don't seem to match anything I can find. p1130049.jpgAny ideas?

It had been built from a kit, fusalage is balsa/foam and the wing is veneered foam. Wingspan 50", fusalage 38". Anyone know who made this kit?

It had been flown on a 40 two stroke. I'm intending to lavish a little TLC on it and see if it'll fly as a PSS model. There is no undercart on it and although it may not look too scaleish, I'm intending to leave it off initially. Thanks in anticipation!

• 2 weeks later...

In another thread Phil provided a link to the North York Moors Ridge Soaring Club. Just noticed on their site they had a rather nice collection of PSS pics from Horcum Past. I think these were from back in the day, but I recognise a few - #20 is my favourite and something I have thought about on occasions. Here's the link **LINK**

Yeah there are a few classic PSS models in that collection! - some of them actually still fly today too! In contrast - a number of the modellers pictured are sadly no longer with us...

Timbo I think I've spotted your old Red Arrows Hawk when it was newly built #102 - I don't recognise the builder.

The Valkyrie still flies (#88) as does the B-52 (#99)

There's a very young me in #17 with a PJ Models Hawk and a bold fashion statement from a young Mr Cocker in #130!

Great find - happy days!