Simon's Ballerina

Another of my irregular updates. Building time still short due to various complicated reasons, however this week I have managed to do a bit of work on the battery hatch. I made a catch, thus, out of a biro spring and some bits of ply; there's an M2 nut soldered on to stop the wire pulling through, and the spring is centred using a small piece of carbon tube I had lying around that I tapered down to a nice snug fit. It's braced with a tiny offcut of spruce stringer, cut to a triangular section, to give me some 1/8 triangle stock!

dsc_0129.jpg

This goes just behind the pilot and I'll put a wooden button on the other end of the wire: I toyed with the idea of attaching the catch lever to the pilot, but that would have meant more (over) engineering to ensure the pilot could move without twisting *and* be secure enough not to fall out... so the button gets it. The latch goes into a hole in F5 armoured with a bit of 1/32 ply thinned down to just 2 layers; there's another small strip of 1/32 ply on the other side of F5 to add a bit of strength for the catch. (Just realised I have some 1/64 ply ... could have used that... oh well!)

dsc_0128.jpg

Then onto the sheeting: you can never have too many clamps! Rather than risk damaging the fuz sides, I made a small clamping jig the same width as the fuz and allowed the sheeting to overhang a little so I can then trim to a nice tidy finish

dsc_0135.jpg

Clamps off, still on the jig - can just see the catch lever sticking up in the middle of the cockpit.

dsc_0136.jpg

Finished result rough sanded and with Dick cut down to fit. He's going to need a bit of touching up now I've sanded his arms off...

dsc_0141.jpg

And finally, sitting where it belongs

dsc_0138.jpg

Now the confessions: I messed up the first cut from the template when cutting the sheeting, and it ended up short at one end (note to self: measure THREE times then cut, not twice!), but the only wood I had left in the right size to redo the sheeting was a bit on the hard side and seems to have a couple of extra hard spots (as I found when bending it). Consequently one side cracked slightly when I clamped it (not enough steaming... the other side was fine!), and the hard bits have led to a couple of very slight flat spots on the curvature. And after all that, the base has developed a very slight warp so there's a small gap (on the other side). Annoying; I'll steam and weight it and if that doesn't sort it I'll see what it all looks like when covered. If it's too bad, a new hatch won't take long to knock up.

Going to put the fuz to one side now and start on the wings next time I can get the board out.

Couple more updates. Time still short so build progressing slower than I'd like. I've made a start on the wing, and have almost finished the first one - u/c block currently setting. Nothing particular to report on this; like others, I've followed (mostly) Peter's scheme for building it. I've used T-nuts to retain the u/c straps, to make it relatively easy to remove the legs for transport, and like Martyn I've used a few more bits of triangle section to spread the load a bit more. No real drama here.

dsc_0151.jpg

I also made an instrument panel - ironically, I made this before I saw what others had done for instrument panels! I've glazed mine with a bit of very thin acetate (from a Co-op Red Pepper and Feta Quiche packet. It's very important to get the right flavour...).

dsc_0154.jpg

Here it is in situ, this shows the glazing effect a bit better.

dsc_0159.jpg

More later. Got a concert this weekend (**LINK**), so probably not much happening for a few days now.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, time is still something I'm struggling to find much of, for a number of complicated reasons (one being an opening in the weather, so got diverted onto putting together a Seagull Turbo Raven that's been waiting for a break in the weather. Maidened on Saturday, three proving and trimming flights, bit of tweaking now to do back on the bench), but I have now managed to get a bit further with the Ballerina. The wing is now all but done, apart from final sanding, and I've bent up the u/c, which all means that I will soon need to get on with the cowl . I won't bore you all with yet more pictures of Ballerina wings, in various stages of undress, as mine are much the same as every one else's, but it may be worth a couple of highlights.

Here's how I did my servo wing mounts: a bit of thin ply with some uprights and reinforcements, shaped and cut out for the servo arm. Pretty standard stuff really; since these photos some hardwood blocks have been added so the servo mount can be screwed securely into the wing.

dsc_0219.jpg

dsc_0174.jpg

dsc_0173.jpg

(the sharp eyed among you may notice lack of a trailing edge... I chose to depart from Peter's build order slightly, and have added the TE later once the wing was off the board - it's a bit easier to clean excess glue off it that way. You can also see the usual paper tube, mine's been doped for a bit of stiffness before being glued into place, if nothing else it helps resist handling damage before covering.

dsc_0213.jpg

Ooh, I do find something very satisfying in sanding a leading edge! I've used some quite hard balsa for the LE, found in an inherited scraps box - goodness knows what it was originally used for, it's as hard as mahogany (almost!) but means my LE should be fairly impervious against car boot knocks and stone chips.

Hoping I can get onto the cowl this week, then we're not far away from covering and putting it all together!

Don't worry, Peter: there are PLENTY of places on this build that I have no intention of showing anyone and I've had to bodge fine tune, and have said to myself a few times "That'll do, but I'm glad it's going to get covered up". And I'm taking a lot longer than others... but just now want to get it in the air really. Shouldn't be too much longer once I've sorted the cowl. Too many things on the go!

Simon, what keep your servo hatches in place. All the force the servo's will but on the ailerons (or vice versa) will need to og through the hatches into the wing structure. If you use 2.5 kgcm servo's that will be about 2.5 kg on one side of the servo hatch....

Your woodwork is really nice. It deserves transparent covering!

Lucas

Thanks for the compliments, everyone.

Lucas - I'm not planning on these servos going anywhere... the hatches are screwed on with 2.9x9.5mm flanged self tappers, which screw into lightweight hardwood 1/2x1/4" bearers that extend and are glued to the main spar and ribs (forward bearers) and to the TE spar and ribs (rearward bearers). That should spread the load nicely along the ribs and spars. I have other (ARTF) models that have much weaker securings which haven't failed yet (now where's that bit of wood to touch). May post pictures next time I can

Edited By Simon Feather on 15/03/2016 14:30:38

Oooh, I do like it when things start to come together... only had an hour or so this evening, so drilled the wing mounting holes and sorted the wing dowel. Also fitted the motor box ready to start planning the cowl... out tomorrow (another concert) so probably nowt more til Sunday.

Test fit... starting to look like something now!

dsc_0228.jpg

I'd like to say the fit of this dowel was planned and measured... but it's just good luck it's come out so neat. I'd intended to make the hole in F2 high and then adjust - but in the end no adjustment needed. Very satisfying!

dsc_0229.jpg

Really looking forward to covering it now. HK UK have been out of stock of one of the colours I want for weeks and weeks though, so may need to give in and use an alternative Still a way off that yet though, but getting closer. Hoping to have more time over Easter.

Managed a bit more, been fitting hinges and stuff now. Thought it may be worth sharing a pic of my home made shooting board: I use this for sanding square, but also for sanding bevels. It's hinged, and can pivot up to about 60 degrees, fix the angle with wedges. Done me well so far - here's the tool and the result as applied to the Ballerina's rudder.

dsc_0240.jpg

ah, sorry, pic needs rotating. maybe fix that later, but you can probably get the gist. Here's the rudder result from using it.... only takes 5 mins.

dsc_0254.jpg

... and, I couldn't resist just dry fitting all the bits I have so far together for the obligatory naked shot...

dsc_0264.jpg

dsc_0265.jpg

still a bit to do - got the infill at the tail to do, and then the cowl... You can probably see the cowl mounting in place, but that's as far as I've got so far. Then there's the battery tray to do... and then I can cover her!

all the bits now done and final dry fit; covering starts tonight hopefully.

Here's the pilot, as delivered from HK and then after a bit of dulling using Humbrol Matt Kote; the leathers now actually look like leather!

dsc_0273.jpg

after:

dsc_0309.jpg

Big difference!  I also painted his arms where I had to amputate them to fit the cockpit, so that's helped a bit too.

Here's the detail of the tail infill

dsc_0271.jpg

and here's the model for final dry fit, showing the balsa cowl. I've not cut the ventilation hole in it yet and still debating how best to finish the cowl. I'll probably glass it - cowl currently weighs 32g and I still have to cut a hole in it so putting a couple of grams back on for the glassing isn't going to hurt much. I've gone for a vaguely SE5-type look which I think the wooden prop sets off nicely (this one is just a prop for the photos, final choice will depend on final AUPW and some thrust and wattage measurements). Cowl is removable,

dsc_0302.jpg

dsc_0305.jpg

dsc_0307.jpg

Now, I've got a few hangar rash dints to fill then probably start covering tonight.

Edited By Simon Feather on 28/03/2016 15:52:22