Simon's Ballerina

There will now be a slight delay.

Started covering tonight, but one roll of my Hobbyking covering is impossible to use. Never had a problem with this stuff before - but I cannot remove the backing from the roll I want to use as the primary colour. I tried all the usual tricks - blowing the edge, sticking tape to the front face and to the backing and pulling, flicking... Eventually, after a lot of scraping with a blade I managed to make an air pocket - and peeled a small strip of backing off. Not even all of it. So tomorrow it looks like I'll be testing their RMA procedure whilst waiting for a replacement.

I have just used their RMA procedure. Posted the item last MOnday, was credited with the refund Wednesday, asked for a Paypal refund. Had it back in Paypal Thursday.

Only one slight snag. There was a glitch on their website and I had to pay my own return postage. as I could not print off the retun label. I expect that has been cured by now,

Their RMA procedure works, I find, but only if you push it; I had a battery DOA earlier this year (one cell down too low on delivery so the charger wouldn't recognise it), followed their process, but after a few days sitting at "initial assessment" I chased using their online chat, and all was resolved within a few minutes with a replacement battery arriving the next day. They don't want the old ones back, so I was able to reuse the suspect battery elsewhere after working some magic on it.

This time, I've followed the process and played the "I'm in the middle of a job" card via their online chat. Raised the RMA about 9.30 this morning, still in "assessment" at 2pm so got onto the chat, and they assessed it there and then and raised a new order whilst I was online to them, so replacement is now on its way. And they don't want the old roll back (not that it's much use...). can't really fault that service!

Only possible complaints are that I had to do this in the first place (!!) and that they're sending the replacement on the 48hour service so I won't get it until Thursday. Let's hope the new roll doesn't show the same problem!

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I'd better check back in to let you all know I've not forgotten you... as noted above had some issues with HK covering (backing would not peel off, and when it did it came off in little strips - never had that problem before with HK rolls!). They're replaced the roll, no issues with their RMA procedure (didn't want the old roll back either!), only took a couple of days to get the replacement but the new roll isn't much better. One thing I did learn from last time I had to use their returns procedure is that it takes a long time if you just leave them to it. So, if you need to RMA stuff with them, raise the RMA then get straight onto the online chat and they will review it there and then, and the whole process then can be dealt with quite quickly.

On the new roll of film the backing comes off with persistence (and a sharp blade) and with care I can now get it off in one piece most of the time. Consequently covering is now nearly finished. Just the wing tips, cockpit hatch and rudder to go. Decals arrived in the post the other day (don't have my own vinyl cutter yet, maybe Santa will be nice to me). Pictures to follow...

Then I need to finish the cowl (it's in primer currently after glassing - I got away with only 2g added weight through glassing it, so quite chuffed with that - but still need to cut the hole for the ventilation grille), then paint the cowl...

... and then I can fit all the bits together finally!

Talkig of Hobbyking. On Wednesday I placed an order for four micro servos. Being stupid I didn't realise that UK was out of stock and just ordered and clicked on DHL EXpress.

They left Hong Kong at midday Thursda y10 hours and they were in the UK Via Leipzig and arrived in Ipswich 9.09 today Bet you would be hard pressed to do it in the same time!!

The only thing that really brought tears to my Eyes was that DHL wanted £15 VAT etc for a £30 packet before it had even seen customs.

Edited By Peter Miller on 08/04/2016 11:38:52

• 2 weeks later...

There are snakes on my plane!

... the old ones are the best

The end is now in sight, massive delays due to various conflicts and other stuff but nearly there. All covering done, all control surfaces connected tested and centred, main U/C fitted, Just the tail wheel, decals, battery compartment and cockpit to finish, then balancing. Fighting chance of finishing it and maybe even maiden this week! Weather looks fine, balmy even, for the rest of the week so there's an incentive. Pictures will follow soon, promise.

Not too unhappy with the weight; all up (without battery) is 3lbs 14oz. My intended battery unfortunately adds another 1lb 2 1/4 oz to that making pretty close to 5lbs inc battery. HOWEVER my planned power train will deliver about 830W giving this model a little over 160W/lb .... probably a bit too ballistic, so I'll certainly underprop it a bit and do a few other measurements and experiments before committing aviation as they say. I'd like it to come down on this planet, not the next, and preferably with the wings still attached.

Well, it's done, bar connecting the receiver, balancing and checking watts/thrust, so hopefully all on track for maiden tomorrow if the weather holds (looking pretty perfect so far, forecasting 5/6mph gusting to 10). I've not done the windscreen yet, I'll not rush that so will maiden it without and add it later. Got a specially bought pop bottle all ready...

I've struggled to get decent pictures, done in a hurry as I want to get it ready for flight. My phone really didn't like the olive green covering and has tried its best to make it several shades lighter than it really is! This is the HK covering that I struggled with, it's not as good as their others by a long shot for several reasons. The cowl *is* a few shades darker. Not intentionally. I used B&Q's paint scanning service which said it was a 99.8% match. But he struggled with the shiny surface so scanned the back instead, and lacquering made it a few shades darker still... well, you can see the results. Not happy with the cowl, but hey, let's just fly it now. Was aiming for something a bit SE5 like, I think it's come out looking a bit "Magister"ial?

More detail later, including some more step-by-step pictures but for now - and cos I want to get back to testing - here is a random selection of not-very-good photos some taken before and some after the mascot logo was added (cos I suddenly realised I'd forgotten it). Please excuse the quality of these, I'll take a proper camera with me to the field tomorrow for hopefully some better ones to go in the completed gallery.

So, here is my "B" Ballerina...

dsc_0443.jpg

dsc_0447.jpg

dsc_0448.jpg

dsc_0450.jpg

dsc_0454.jpg

dsc_0456.jpg

dsc_0458.jpg

dsc_0465.jpg

dsc_0467.jpg

dsc_0473.jpg

Pulls 140W/lb using a 12x6 Zinger prop, balances right on the plan's CoG with the batteries against the firewall, no additional weight needed. Spot on, Peter!

Will need a bit more cooling I think, so will just take the maiden a bit cautious and not stay up too long or do anything too wild until I've checked that.

Edited By Simon Feather on 20/04/2016 23:25:08

Superb and very different scheme, Simon. yes

As Rosco said, the cowl isn't disturbing at all. It just adds a bit to that pre-war look, imho.

When I look at all those perfect shiny coverings, I'm not only envious but also really start to worry a lot... indecision

Good luck with your maiden.

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Covering Control

Well, it flies! Maidened at lunchtime, needed a fair bit of up trim to start with but I do have the batteries up against the firewall, so there is scope for moving them back a bit. No added weight necessary, always a satisfying result. Two more flights followed, loops and rolls performed. Roll rate is nicely sedate on low rates, I've not tried high rates yet. Floaty landings! Another good result for Peter's designing! Sorry Chris - didn't manage the scarf for the maiden!!

Nice comments from others at the field though at least one didn't like my mascot! no accounting... ha. I have some pictures and a not-very-clear video I'll try to upload later, may need a bit of editing though. This is my first scratch-build and only the second model I've covered with iron-on film (the first, from a Seagull kit, is at the head of this thread), so I'm more than satisfied with the result.

It does need more motor cooling as I thought, so the cowl is likely to be modified with some vents when I've thought about how best to do that whilst staying in keeping with my colour scheme.