C17 Globemaster III - 1/15th Scale for PSS

Andy Meade

• 2 weeks later...

A bit of progress, but not as quick as I was hoping yet. Time is limited with a bathroom rebuild going on, and 7 PSS builds in various states all vying for attention.

So, The Good Lady Wife helped me cut these on Sunday :

20160228_153053.jpg

20160228_201008.jpg

3.4m metres of cores.

I have also some done some weight estimations using CAD and Excel - before anything is veneered, glassed, glued or painted, she should be at 25lb. Not too bad I think.

Onwards!

lol you two! Marital bliss?! What is this strange thing you talk of?

I'm no expert, but always willing for fellow modellers (and their spouses!) to come over for a wing cutting session. Dinner / BBQ thrown in too, if you are a PSS'er laugh The parts needed are minimal in cost (£10 tops), and the majority of the work is in the setup before each cut.

Hi Olly,

Yes I have my own at home, a 3DDP Up Plus. Here is the version 2, which is quite a good printer, but rather pricey. I got mine 2nd hand for a lot less then half of that price!

I'd heartily recommend a Prusa i3 from a store in the UK. There are lots of people using them, and support for any problem can be dealt with in the UK.

I use SolidWorks in my day job (honestly it's still lunch time...probably) and have a version at home too. I've used it for the best part of 12 years now, so get on pretty well. I know a few people that use Sketchup to great success, but they struggle to do things that are just a few clicks away on higher end software.

They can be a source of income too! Mine has paid for itself already, as I design and sell items through eBay for aeromodelling with some success.

A little update today for a few bits an pieces I got done at the weekend. Here is a wiring diagram, so I know where the splits are; know how many connectors I need; and how much servo wire I require.

wiring diagram 1.jpg

Nothing too complicated, but Engineers like making lists and diagrams laugh

Next up, the fin has been cut in 2 positions, and full length 40mm wide lite ply spars inserted. There is a lot of tailplane on top of this to take care of, so things need to be stiff.

20160306_143027.jpg

Gorilla glued together, and taped. On the right you can just see some freshly lightened formers from the tail section. I think I drilled over 80 holes through the formers at the weekend on the pillar drill, all in the name of lightness.

Here is the main-spar former, F7. I have cut a 'ole out of it, but reinforced it around where the main-spar box will run through and key into the fuselage.

20160307_124306.jpg

Some wibbly-wobbly cutting there, but who cares? It's deep in the fus wink.

Onwards!

Another day another update cool

I have veneered the fin and tailplane now. I am starting the marking up of elevators and servo positions, ready to start cutting through the skins. You can see a standard size servo holder on the one half for scale...

20160309_124748.jpg

BIG!

And here is the fin-top - an all lite-ply structure that the tailplane halves will be mounted in. This then bolts through onto the fin, and allows me to change the incidence angle if need be.

20160309_124805.jpg

Holes for servo wires tonight, plus boxing in servo holes. With a bit of luck I'll get the halves joined too.

Toodle pip!

Thanks boss-man! Yeah the fire has really been lit for me on this one, which is a shame as I have many other projects a lot closer to completion. I try and do a bit on them all, with the C17 being the main "thrust", as I find that's the best way - no matter how little, every tiny bit you can do on any of it will always help in the long run.

Wow Wow Wow!!!

Looking very fast Andy.. Cant wait to start on mine after the A4 and AN72!!

Out of curiosity, What is the span for each tailplane half?

Its going to be great having a formation flight whilst getting buzzed by Phil's A10.... as I expect mine will be built around the same time as the A10 being finished!!!!!!!!! hee hee!!!!cheeky

Hi Harry - Yup need to make she's structurally sound! There's a lot of weight being supported here when she's at rest, and the "bump" load when she lands can be quite high, so I can't have any of this buckling. Have you gotten out with the Horten yet?

Hey Clive - yes a bit big! A bigger span in the tail than my last 3 builds' wings! surprise

Edited By Andy Meade on 10/03/2016 09:06:17

Hi Andy, Ref Horten - not flown yet - still in her onesie in the hangar! Finishing my B&V and trying to clear the decks to start the A4. I am also partway through another correx build ....so a couple of jobs on the go at the moment.

Cracking work on the C17 -have you used any special ply for the formers?

If I lose weight and squeeze in a bit, maybe I could slip into the C17 cockpit on launch!

Regards H