Vintage Cambria Catalogue scans

Hi All,
Is seems that I'm not the only nostalgic one who has fond memories of this kit range. So to that end I thought it would be a good idea to scan the images from the original catalogue. I'm always interested in collecting any Cambria models having found quite a few so far.
I'm still looking for a Slingsby Eagle, Skylark and Kadet gliders, oh and a Scimitar if possible...(rare as rocking horse doo-doo)!!!
If anyone has any of these that they wish to sell then let's talk.
I hope you enjoy the post,
Cheers,
Jason

Thanks for this, super to see them again.. As a lad I needed a new canopy for my Capstan.. unbeknown to me my father contacted Cambria in Llanidloes to get a new one.. we then called in enroute to a caravan holiday near New Quay in Wales..

I got a factory tour, new canopy, catalogue and some decals ! I was made up and silent in the back of the car for the rest of the trip.

I bagged a Merlin at Aberystwyth models back in the 70's, built it on the upturn dining table in the caravan.. wink

Happy days indeed.. Thanks Jason!

The Slingsby Eagle was the first R/C glider I built. Superb flier. Lost into cloud while slope soaring at Blackstone Edge. It was found 4 miles downwind having landed in a reservoir. Got it back and it had flying again 2 days later with an extended centre section

Thanks for this, I had forgotten which model it was.

Really appreciated thumbs up

Martyn

I have a Cambria 'Instructor' under construction / refurbishment at the moment for electric power.

(Managed to find it as an almost complete assembled uncovered kit on the 'bay'.

This was for the 'built-up' wing version, though I have had a 'foam' wing cut which I intend using first.

Full size two-sheet plans, original instructions & copy of 'RM' review were available on the 'bay' too.

Also, I noticed a Canadian forum member had recently advertised a un-built kit .

In the 70s had several Cambria models including: FW190, Me109, Capstan (a bit of a brick IMO) and a low wing intermediate aileron trainer, the name of which escapes me.

Thanks for posting, Jason, it's always good to see and remember these old ranges smiley

However, I had no recollection at all of the three Cambria C/L models shown, which is odd as C/L was my main interest "back in the day" when these ads would have been current. Interesting stuff!

I had a 3 channel Instructor to learn on, great flyer, when to a HiBoy for 4 channels, but then went back to the Instructor and added the aileron wing. The aileron wing was quite nice as it was semi symmetrical at the tips and changed to flat bottom at the centre where it met the fuselage. Also had an Eagle which flew very nice too.

I still have my Slingsby Eagle, with the box, plan, spare cockpit moulding and transfer set. I think I built it around 1978. I used to bungee it and also slope soared it as a member of Malvern Soarers Association. Good flyer, but you have to be careful on the bungee not to pull too much elevator too soon because it can snap stall very sharply. Look out for that and it is fine.

Heavens! That takes me back. Like Martyn K - my very first RC plane was the Slingsby Eagle, 2nd (or 3rd) hand 27meg Skyleader set complete with those luverly red servos and deac button cells, nary a glitch as I remember either. Smashing flyer, taught me lots, including about the dreaded tip stall - (

Looking at the catalogue again after all these years, always hankered after the Pioneer and the Pinto too. I'll bet either would be great converted to leccy power. If someone decided to market some of these Vintage, in the real sense of the word, kits I'm sure they would sell well to trad' builders.

The Cambria Instructor 20 is a lovely model. Mine has an OS20 four stroke in it, and is great fun in a flat calm doing circuits and bumps, with the downwind leg at about 15ft off the ground. It also does wonders for your throttle control and spot landings.

There is a Cambria Eagle hanging in the clubhouse at our gliding club. Quite apt, as there is a full-size one which got the two seater cross country record many years ago, in the hangar.

Our Cambria Merlin was lost out of sight from a hand launch off a small slope. Hopefully someone found it and got some more use out of it. We had a Cambria Capstan (full size one of those in the hangar too) but the fuselage was very heavy and I don't recall flying it myself.

A crazy mate of mine in the early 1980s used to play 'beat the bungee down' with his Cambria Capstan. He'd catapult the model up to height and when released from the line, half roll the model and race the parachute on to the deck. Sometimes he'd win, sometimes the parachute would. Mad really.frown

• 8 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Ah yes the Dragonfly. What a lovely first model back then.

Built mine whilst on 12 hour night shifts in huge local engineering company ( good old days )

Tried the first flight on my own with no real idea and yes , smashed it to bits. Oh well still good memories.

I still have the engine so would like to buy a Dragonfly and get it off the ground just because lol.

I have always had a soft spot for Cambria models right the way back as an 11 yo first getting into rc modelling in the 70's. I always wanted to get a Grumman Traveller but never did. However my first kit was the FW190D followed by the P51. The latter had quite a long life into the end of the 90's!. Having built those I then had a Capstan which I enjoyed a lot. I cracked the canopy and had replacement sent to me very quickly along with decals and catalogue.

I also remember fondly two Instructor kits being built during both of the weeks at the National Modelmakers Festival at Brean Sands when it was a 2 week event (really miss those festivals they were such great fun).

It was great seeing Cambrian at Wings and Wheels and has refuelled my interest in their models - now my 14 yo son wants a Spitfire!

I had a Grumman Traveller for years and the CFI was my second model, happy days. My Dad also had a CFI and flew it for years until it became horribly fuel soaked, one afternoon while flying he saw something fall off it, the engine cut and he glided down safely walked over to pick the model up and found that the engine had actually fallen out mid flight hence the engine cut! We found it but I don't recall him fixing it, shame, great flyer.

• 11 months later...

Hi All, I realise this thread hasn't been visited for a year but I'm hoping some one can help me out.

Took my Cambria Instructor for a flight the other day to celebrate its 40th birthday but all didn't go as planned.

Anybody got a copy of the plan to help with the rebuild?

Thanks, Phil.