Vintage Cambria Catalogue scans

I have plans, original instructions and the dear old Radio Modeller magazine review for the Cambrian Instructor.

(I have replied to Phil Brown's request separately).

Cloud Models, Phillip, made me a superb foam wing for it too.

Wish current crop of ARFs were as durable and suitable for instructing new comers!

I recall hammering Croxley Moor fairly hard with my Dragonfly (Merco 35 powered) on more than one occasion and it bouncing...

Like one or two others here, I had a hankering after the Grumman Traveler (one day the Yanks will learn to spell!) - especially after leaving the earth's surface for the first (significant) time in one on a trial flying lesson. It did indirectly cause me to leave the hobby for many years as my desire to keep flying lead me to check out gliding which instantly hooked me after a superb introductory flight with the legendary "JJ" at Dunstable.

Hi all,

If someone is still interested in an un-started kit of the original Dragonfly ??, as they say, I know a guy!!

I also own kits of the majority of the Cambria range, still missing a few ,but always on the lookout.

If you are particularly struggling to find one please let me know I may be able to copy plans/ instructions/ decals etc.

Thanks,

Jason

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Oh it's fantastic to see that catalogue: I am another who's first RC model was a Cambria Eagle: 14.95 from grover's in Northallerton. I fitted my secondhand Sprengbrook radio and one day my dad decided to join me, and lobbed it ( despite instruction) off the slope like a javelin, nose up at about 45degrees.

It taught me a lot though, and it was a real pleasure to build - the first time I used Solarfilm too. A gorgeous summer's work for a 14 year old.

I keep an eye out for another kit, ( and indeed a Pinto ) or even a built example but so far have failed - obs, if anyone has one they want rid of...

I seem to recall the Dragonfly being advertised in the Ripmax Handbook as having a "Trithane" fuselage - I assume this was the trade name for the hard shell foam - does anyone have any pictures of it? I'd love to see a pic of the radio bay, for example.

I had a Miri 100 back in the day, and a jolly good model it was too! Initially I found that it had a strange tendency for the trim to vary unpredictably. I then realised what was happening - every time it landed the boom would bend slightly. Once I developed the habit of checking that the boom was straight before each flight the problem disappeared. The other problem was that the pod and boom design didn't leave much to get hold of when launching, this could make things awkward when bungee launching single handed. This eventually lead to its demise. In the scramble to hold my trannie and launch the glider with the other hand I forgot to switch on the Rx! Needless to say, it went up the bungee as straight as a die, dropped straight into a thermal and climbed away never to be seen again. I was flying from Warwick racecourse at the time and the model was last seen heading out over the town.

James,

I knew there were like-minded folks out there... suffering from a similar affliction.

If you are still interested in getting hold of a Dragonfly kit I maybe able to help. This may make your day??

I'm constantly checking the net for old Cambria kits and have managed through quite a bit of effort to locate the majority of the old range except a few "holy grail" kits such as the Gnat, Slingsby Skylark and Kadet gliders.

Here you go, check this website...Last time i checked they had a slinsby Eagle, Capstan andYES a Dragonfly...

GOOD LUCK.

If anyone needs plans, I may be able to make copies and get them posted.

http://www.modellbauparadies.de/epages/Edi_sModellbauparadies.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/Edi_sModellbauparadies/Products/1008-Schl%C3%BCter

Also a lover of the old Cambria kits and over Christmas I have been finishing a rebuild of my 'Pioneer'. The kit was originally built over 30 years ago and had an OS19 and I electrified it a couple of years ago, but on flying it showed that the glued joints had not survived that well.

I have now built a new fuselage for it, designed for electric, and am in the process of printing a mock Anzani engine to hide the electric motor.

20181230_104940.jpg

Edited By Colin Bernard on 03/01/2019 14:03:20

• Like 1

Hi Jason,

Thanks so much for that. I've emailed them and I'm waiting for a reply. Just hope they understand English! There's other models on there that have got my attention too.

I too have most of the Cambria range now after chasing after quite a few of them. Apart from the Dragonfly, I'm really just after a Pinto and a CFI. I do have bits for a Gnat but have a possible lead on more parts. If that comes to anything, I'll let you know for yourself too.

I have to admit though, I haven't really heard of the Slingsby Skylark or the Kadet from Cambria, but I also hadn't heard of the Navion until one came up recently.

Thanks once again,

James.

Posted by Jason Rowlands 1 on 03/01/2019 13:50:06:

James,

I knew there were like-minded folks out there... suffering from a similar affliction.

If you are still interested in getting hold of a Dragonfly kit I maybe able to help. This may make your day??

I'm constantly checking the net for old Cambria kits and have managed through quite a bit of effort to locate the majority of the old range except a few "holy grail" kits such as the Gnat, Slingsby Skylark and Kadet gliders.

Here you go, check this website...Last time i checked they had a slinsby Eagle, Capstan andYES a Dragonfly...

GOOD LUCK.

If anyone needs plans, I may be able to make copies and get them posted.

http://www.modellbauparadies.de/epages/Edi_sModellbauparadies.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/Edi_sModellbauparadies/Products/1008-Schl%C3%BCter

Blimey .. that looks like a proper model shop! shame its not in the UK. Useful link though.. Thanks

• 3 years later...
On 27/06/2018 at 18:33, Jason Rowlands 1 said:

Hi all,

If someone is still interested in an un-started kit of the original Dragonfly ??, as they say, I know a guy!!

I also own kits of the majority of the Cambria range, still missing a few ,but always on the lookout.

If you are particularly struggling to find one please let me know I may be able to copy plans/ instructions/ decals etc.

Thanks,

Jason

Hi Jason, Just returned to model flying as I am resurrecting a long forgotten Pioneer. I have the plans but no build instructions and am struggling to find any. Are you able to help or point me in the right direction?

Regards

Paul Morris7 

What a coincidence that this old thread came to the top of the Latest Post tab.  It's great to see the kits featured in the catalogue scan - especially the Cambrian Gnat. My pal Jim asked if I could find space for an ancient Gnat that he'd had in his shed since the 70's as he needed the space and the swapmeet beckoned. It's the Cambrian beastie and quite a big chunk of aeroplane 48" doesn't sound like much, but on the Gnat, with quite small wings that translates to a very long fuselage. I don't think she'll take an EDF. so first port of call will be a big outrunner to replace the .61 2 stroke which was originally in the model.

519527942_IMG_0409(2).thumb.jpg.d924392758580b2def08fab18a27132a.jpg

• Like 3

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...