David's Standard Ballerina

Well I thought I would throw my hat into the ring and join the mass build having come back to the hobby last October after 25 years away. I have recently built a Pegasus Boomerang and a Middle Phase, both from kits and wanted to now build a model from scratch. Something I have only done twice in the past all those years ago when I built a Pronto trainer and a Spirit low wing aerobatic model which was too advanced for me really at the time.

So I bought some wood etc. and started to plan the build,20151202_175433.jpg where I found the ‘preparing for the 2016 mass build’ forum useful particularly in identifying some of the discrepancies that crept in between Peter’s original drawing and that finally released as the free plan. This enable me and others too I image to avoid at least some of the errors when starting to build.

This is not as detailed as some of the other excellent build blogs, but it’s nice to join in and offer what I can and perhaps also receive some useful feedback if anyone feels inclined.

Taking a step forward from the pile of wood, the first thing I did was to build myself a ‘Peter Miller’ building board comprising of 4’ x 1’ of conti board from B&Q covered with a double layer of 3mm cork tiles from Wickes. Immediately putting this to one side I set about cutting out all the formers ribs, tailplane, fin, fuselage sides etc. using a coping saw for the ply parts and a scalpel for the balsa.

Here’s a few of the parts…

20160116_124548-2.jpg

I don’t have a jig but I marked the centre of each former, drew a straight line on the building area of my bench, anchored the fuselage with weights at the front and middle positions and then pulled the rear together and glued.

All lined up fine, added the front turtle decking and snake outers; I didn’t think the holes in the formers as marked on the plan lined up very well but that may have been me. (probably was).

20151227_112054.jpg

For some reason I found the engine cowling a little bit challenging just in terms of getting it clear in my head exactly how to go about it and I think mine has varied just slightly from what Peter did but it seems to have turned out ok.

I also think I did not quite interpret the plan correctly for the front turtle deck which should have overhung into the cockpit, however I managed to add this as an extra and it seems to blend in ok.

20160104_213525.jpg

20160104_213545.jpg

20160104_213649.jpg

I am using a Slec tank and so needed to make the opening in F3 slightly deeper. After fuel proofing the tank area I formed a snug fit with foam using impact adhesive to hold it in place, so the tank is removable and held securely in position by the foam.

Servo bearers also glued in position after test fitting with a servo.

20160117_162154.jpg

The first half of the wing has progressed enough to remove it from the board and make way for the second half.

20160124_165001.jpg

Now the bad news, on starting to build the second half I made a schoolboy error and forgot to include the 1/16 cap strip under the the rear spar adjacent to the aileron. All spars and ribs glued and then I realised my error. I lifted it off the board but was not happy that it was going to be right to just glue the cap strip on.

I thought I was going to have to cut all new ribs however before finally scrapping the wing built so far I decided to try and take it apart. I had used pva glue and so tried holding one of the joints under running water; this had the desired effect of softening the glue and enabling me to gently open the joint. It would have been a lengthy process to do this to each and every joint so I put 1/2" of water in the bath and popped the wing in to soak for about 3-5 minutes. This softened all the bottom joints which then came apart so I turned it over to soak the top to release the top spar.

Carefully dried off all the pieces with a towel and then left to dry slowly for 24 hours. While I had this interruption I built a bench for the spare bedroom as I had been using the dinning room table as the garage is too damp and plans tend to grow by a significant amount.

20160123_130940.jpg

Well it appears to have been a success, no ill effects on the wood as far as I can tell, so back to building the second part of the wing for the second time......and paying attention this time!

20160124_114024.jpg