FPV uk suplier and advise?

Hi guys after being in total awe of what some of these kits can do I would love to fit some FPV gear to my nitro trainer and fly it around through goggles.

So is there any recomendations for a shop to buy it from in the UK and also where to get the advise on how to wire it up and get it working correctly. I am totally new to the FPV tech side. I understand i need a camera and transmiter and battery pack for the aircraft and then goggles and reciever for the ground but how to put it all together i have no clue lol.

Many thanks Tom

Tom,

This is the main UK forum site with lots of info for begginers and the more experienced **LINK**

I think you'll find that an ic powered plane has too much vibration for FPV , unless you're very very good at anti vibration mounting.

An electric powered 5.8gHz video FPV delta using 2.4gHz RC can be put together quite cheaply, £100 to £120. For goggles, if this is a first time try out, then go for this **LINK** Add a 5.8gHz Rx, aerial and battery should come to about £100 which is a lot cheaper than goggles. Keep it simple, as its a first try, and don't add an OSD or flight stabilisation etc

HTH

Hi Tom,

I think you might have a problem here. All the FPV I have done has been on electric powered aircraft. I am not at all sure that:

1. you could, even at some expense, vibration isolate a typical FPV package sufficiently well on an IC powered model.

2. In my experience most FPV stuff is fairly fragile - you would have to find some way of keeping it entirely free of the gunk that spews out of the average glow engine.

3. Without in any way wishing to cast a cloud over the wonders of IC power it is a plain fact of life that IC is far more prone to "dead stick" than electric. I personally would not want to find myself dead stick in an FPV situation!

If I were in your position I'd seriously rethink the model you are planning to put this in - honestly!

BEB

PS You do understand that you will only be allowed to fly this with a spotter with you and within VLOS - sorry if you already know that, but I meet a lot of aspiring FPV pilots that don't! wink 2

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 27/01/2016 21:40:14

I detect a little pessimism regarding the chances of successful IC operation - but how well-founded is it?

I've used very cheap cameras for recording the odd IC flight - and better quality ones too (but all without any image stabilisation). The results haven't shown any problems due to vibration from a 52 four stroke in my Chipmunk with no additional vibration-proofing from a standard engine mounting. Admittedly my Cub has a horizontally opposed twin with exceptionally low levels of vibration. Just make sure the prop is well balanced...IC or EP.

Don't mount the camera in the exhaust gas-flow and it won't get oily!

Dead stick? In the unlikely event during a typical FPV cruising flight with a properly set up installation, hand the transmitter to the competent observer if you feel you can't cope!

Edited By Martin Harris on 27/01/2016 23:25:28

There's also a regulation that seems to be overlooked all the time and that is the transmitter is restricted to 25 mW ERP (that's 'effective radiated power', not on the actual RF output of the transmitter itself). Adding extra sections, as in a co-linear aerial will boost that past the legal limit. The 'cloverleaf' aerials are fine and don't have any gain but multi-section 'rubber ducks' definitely increase the ERP by a factor 0f 3 dB per section (3 dB doubles the power)

Part of the problem is that a lot of places do sell illegal equipment (whether it's knowingly or unknowingly I honestl;y can't say) but it does pay to be careful in your choice of equipment

Posted by Martin Harris on 27/01/2016 23:21:23:

I detect a little pessimism regarding the chances of successful IC operation - but how well-founded is it?

I've used very cheap cameras for recording the odd IC flight - and better quality ones too (but all without any image stabilisation). The results haven't shown any problems due to vibration from a 52 four stroke in my Chipmunk with no additional vibration-proofing from a standard engine mounting. Admittedly my Cub has a horizontally opposed twin with exceptionally low levels of vibration. Just make sure the prop is well balanced...IC or EP.

Don't mount the camera in the exhaust gas-flow and it won't get oily!

Dead stick? In the unlikely event during a typical FPV cruising flight with a properly set up installation, hand the transmitter to the competent observer if you feel you can't cope!

Edited By Martin Harris on 27/01/2016 23:25:28

Martin, there is a big difference between just capturing a video with an on-board camera and flying an FPV system. Image stabilisation is just one issue caused by vibration - and not necessarily the major one.

BEB

Tom, I bought one of these complete sets from HK, very easy to wire up and it works. Being the UK legal 25 mW the range is limited but fine for flying from a regular flying field. I've used it in a small 250 sized quad and on a FPV fixed wing electric pusher, a big Easy Star type and it worked well. I wear glasses so had to buy some adaptive lenses as well.

For my first flights I went on the buddy box and I'm glad I did as it was a bit disorientating to begin with, then graduated to just a spotter. When flying fixed wing it's useful to have a spotter who also flies RC as I found I was often too low on the landing approach and would have clipped a hedge if I hadn't been told. My fixed wing landings FPV are still more arrival than landing blush

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Martin, I didn't want anyone to think i was showing off but il update it. Thanks everyone for your input, I was looking at doing it DIY but wasn't sure on buying all the seprate bits, I'v seen the goggles linked above (thank you) and then if i buy a camera and transmitter and then receiver i should be about there but i have no clue which ones to buy, i have looked at the fatshark preditors v2. They come as a kit and look quite smart what do you think?

Il have a look on that forum and see if i can do some more learning laugh

Thanks Guys, Tom

Think this through in its simplest form Tom, Flying an FPV Quadcopter, you can actually slow to the hover, and get your bearings and your breath back. Your trainer will not hover, and cruises approx 30 - 40mph, and gets to 20 mph on the landing circuit. You will see a very unfamiliar view of the landscape, travelling slowly past at good altitude, to a high speed ground effect as you come into land, and you will not see yourself, or the Pitts, or others, unti it is too late, you may even get one second to react and swerve, but what will you swerve into? You cannot go ahead comfortably, without replanning.

Hi Denis, I dont really see putting it in a plane a problem at all. having a camera on the tail or in the "cockpit" would not be an unfamiliar view, if you have a look at the pan and tilt cameras they move with your head so no issues there really. but il take your advice onboard, the quadcopters look nice but i have already leant to fly planes and know the basics wink plus then the added price of buying a new aircraft, but il have a look. failing all that il just take the goggles off or stop looking at the screen and look at the model to land normally.