An introduction to the 2016 PSSA Mass Build - A4 Skyhawk

Posted by Phil Cooke on 01/02/2016 19:24:50:

Evening Flyer, welcome to the Mass Build! I look forward to seeing your A-4 develop and meeting you on the Orme in September!! (PSSA membership mail is on its way to you btw!)

Many Thanks Phil. look forward to 2016; hopefully I will get something up this year !!! embarrassed

Hi Flyer - I really like the 2 seater version too - there are loads of great schemes for the TA-4 - but the fuselage is actually a few inches longer than the single seat as drawn, and Ive not drawn the longer fus on the plan. Traplet have only made a single seat cockpit in line with my drawing, so as far as Im aware there is nothing commercially suited at this scale.

If you want the 2 seater it would be great to see you mod the plan and refine the build - and as for the canopy, why not develop a new skill and make a plug for the vac form yourself - thats exactly what I did a few weeks back to enable Traplet to productionise the kits weve just bought.

a-4 plug.jpg

Just wanted to say hello to everybody and stick my head above the bunker to say I'm getting involved with the Scooter build this year. Phil has had my email about PSSA membership and I’m hoping to get the set ordered this coming week.

I’m new to PSS but love my semi-scale gliders. So I’ve been trawling the web for PSS related stuff and vids which has only added to my desire for this side of sloping. However, having looked at pictures of other PSS events I’m a bit worried that anything I produce might not be up to scratch. I haven’t done a traditional built up plane since I was a teenager and although I should be able to build something that resembles a Scooter I like to add a twist to all my RC builds. So I’d like to go with a non-prototypical livery for my Scooter like a Red Bull sort of thing such as this;

Red Bull Hawk

I’m worried that this might be frowned upon but the established PSS community. Am I worried over nothing or do I need to pick a more ‘real’ livery?

Btw, I don’t add pilots to my planes. Only time I’ve done it resulted in a 10 second maiden and the whole thing going in the bin. So it’s just a bad omen for me frown

Hiya Nick,

Please don't worry too much about your suggestion of finishing your A-4 in a non-scale scheme - you won't raise too many eyebrows I can assure you! The intentions behind the mass build venture are primarily to introduce new members to the slope and the thrills of PSS flying, as well as developing new skills and encouraging traditional plan building along the way. In getting you and your new A-4 to the Orme in September we will have achieved all of those objectives, regardless of the colours you finish it in!!

Of course when we do run traditional scale competitions there is a need to present your model in a scheme that is characteristic of the full size, and there are a number of folk within the PSSA that go to great lengths on the level of detail and accuracy in their finished models - it's something we are renowned for and very proud of as an Association. But over the years our meetings have evolved a little, focusing more now on 'Fly-For-Fun' than the static and scale flight judging. We are a very laid back and friendly bunch of flyers who I think you will find most welcoming whatever level of model building and flying ability you demonstrate.

It's good that I'm not fixed to a 'real' livery. The Red Bull is on the list but other energy drinks are available wink

Haven't ordered my wood pack yet (waiting for traplet to send me a voucher) I did however get something in the post to inspire and for 3D reference during the build.

My Traplet pack has arrived, but don't know when I will start.

Nick, I only joined 3 years ago and was similarly apprehensive about scale but you will find that everyone is very relaxed. It is a good giggle and less competitive than F3F flying which is really serious.

I have had an email from Tim Calvert at Model Markings saying he can do me some Israeli markings no problem.

Still undecided about the bulge but we will see.

With 3 weeks still to go before the 'formal' launch of the A-4 Mass Build on 1st March Traplet are still busy manufacturing our woodpacks to order although, as Pete points out above there are a few now arriving with their intended owners!

a-4 flight 3.jpg

Still plenty of time to get your order in if you haven't already done so - get everything you need from the Traplet website **LINK** or call them on +44(0)1684 588599.

I've been asking folk taking part if they would kindly register with me by sending a mail to [email protected] - we have just reached 30 registered participants - including some international participation again with Skyhawks being built in Belgium, the USA and Japan!

Hi All, email received today from Traplet Customer services.... A4 order shipped. So its on its way!

The 1st of march suddenly feels a bit close...workspace not clear......previous project not complete.....etc

However - really looking forwards to receiving the plan /pack and doing some studying of the job ahead!

Regards Harry

Thats great news Dave!! Glad you will be joining in on this one. No probs in starting late, the 6 months we have allocated from 1st March to September will be more than enough time, the build really isnt that complex at all, especially if you have the laser pack - thats a huge time saver! Just dont leave it too late - dont want you rushing it at the end to make the September fly in! laugh