An introduction to the 2016 PSSA Mass Build - A4 Skyhawk

Thanks to your additional materials list on page 1 of this forum, I have also been out buying up in anticipation of the plan/kit arriving.

still no delivery date yet but I have my fingers crossed.

may cheat a little on the length of the nose addition keeping to 3.5" instead of 3.8 for example it looks better on my drawing, I think some of the addition to the original must have been lost in the fuel tank? am trying to find the overall length increase,as the 38inches stated in wiki, doesn't look quite right to me. hopefully when I find my RNZAF painting guide drawings they will have a scale.

cheers .G

Just a note on the Ammonia system chaps. I had the same issues when building my Ton Van Musteren P51D Mustang Electric plane.

You don't have to use Ammonia to soak into the wood. It stinks. Malt Vinegar and hot water works just as well but it has to be hot water. Either acid or alkaline has the same effect of breaking down the fibres in the Balsa wood.

Found this somewhere on the net - yes here it is **LINK**

Posted by Peter Garsden on 17/02/2016 18:06:33:

Just a note on the Ammonia system chaps. I had the same issues when building my Ton Van Musteren P51D Mustang Electric plane.

You don't have to use Ammonia to soak into the wood. It stinks. Malt Vinegar and hot water works just as well but it has to be hot water. Either acid or alkaline has the same effect of breaking down the fibres in the Balsa wood.

Found this somewhere on the net - yes here it is **LINK**

Thanks for this Peter. Wasn't looking forward to that bit. What ratio of vinegar to water do you use? The link doesn't say for vinegar. What is Windex?

Windex is pretty hard to get in the UK. Also Windolene's current formula doesn't have Ammonia in it and the key ingredient is 5% ammonia, so the cheapo supermarket own brand window cleaner is usually a better bet. The scale modellers love their Windex from using it as a thinner for acrylic paint to simple paint stripper! If the usual discount outlets don't have anything suitable try the smaller discounts shops on the high street. They frequently have older stock with the 'better' chemical mixes

Edited By Nick Rees on 18/02/2016 15:10:07

Hi Guys, Re:- the ammonia thing, FWIW,I have tried a lot of chemicals and for all that ammonia smells a bit, it is very consistent in the results.I use a baking tray with some ammonia ( not too critical how much, 25% to 50%) and warm water I put this outside where in Australia the temp is maintained at over 30C and soak the required balsa or ply overnight. This is then wrapped around a carved plug, very like a canopy mold. extended in each direction as required, using a medical elastic bandage. with thin layers of balsa or ply, it is surprising how complex a compound shape you can achieve. vinegar and windolene certainly work, but I have found the grade of balsa can make a difference, particularly to how much springback you end up with. in any event leave the stuff wrapped in the bandage until fully dry, release and glue ( I usually use white glue/PVA or epoxy as required) your plug can have detail on it for example I usually glue wire along what will be the trim line but other features are possible. the bandage won't pull detail as sharp as vacuum on acetate.G

Graham, an overnight soak shouldn't be required. I brush both sides liberally, wait 10 mins and then good to go.

That's true, sorry I wasn't clear, for the gentle bending required on the sky hawk that will be enuf . I was going thru a method for more compound shapes. e.g:- duplicating a complete fuse side per those supplied in old style kits, even then overnight may be overkill but I don't have to be there while the smell is going on and a good level of plasticity is guaranteed. still no plan/ kit here yet. looks like I will be starting a bit after some of you. Cheers G

NOT SPECIFICALLY RECOMMENDED DURING THIS MASS BUILD:

Without permission, a 21 year old enlisted kid "borrows" a USMC Scooter for a joy hop!

http://forums.jetcareers.com/threads/the-little-known-saga-of-usmc-lcpl-and-record-holding-glider-pilot-howard-foote.210371/

This really happened!!! MCAS El Toro, Southern California.

Edited By John_Rood on 19/02/2016 21:42:15

Phil,

No, I didnt order a canopy. One reason for that was, Provost canopy arrived damaged. A reason why mine was not completed. Sending it back to Traplet for replacement was, cost wise, unacceptable. I will have to carve the canopy out from balsa anyway, so might as well pull my own.

Edited By Toshiro Saruwatari on 20/02/2016 03:56:30

image.jpeg

Skyhawk True Believers, I am well and truly happy to report that, um... today the PSSA UK A-4 Skyhawk Mass Build officially made its presence felt out here in the Colonies!  

A ring on my doorbell, and the postman had THIS for me!

image.jpeg

Kudos to Phil Cooke and Matt Jones, and thanks be to Traplet for some truly fast service. It's a beautiful design and a beautifully-rendered box of balsa -- and a very pretty canopy!

Cheers to you all, good luck on your builds.

John in Boston, Massachusetts, USA!

Edited By John_Rood on 20/02/2016 21:38:55