WC Kenley 1962

Classicpattern Team

I was there watching the championships in 1962 and of course it was covered by the Aeromodeller magazine. That said I have never seen the information given by the links indicated by Peter Christy before. One plane I recognised was the USSR entry by A A Arler. This particular plane flew worse than a Junior 60 in a strong wind! The pilot lost control of the plane and it flew out of Kenley Airport. My friend Rodney Johnson and I jumped on his tandem and cycled after the plane which had gone out of sight, but we did recover it. I remember also Frank Vandenberg's 'Skydancer' piling in nose first after the spin manoeuvre quite close to where I was standing. The plane I gather was repaired over night. I did not realise at the time that Chris Olsen was related to a member of my family, but in recent times I bought the last Uproar he constructed (Below)and have his collection of plans for the Uproar, Uplift and Upset planes.

I can scan the 1962 Aeromodeller report if required.

chris olsens uproar 4.jpg

chis olsens uproar 6.jpg

Uproar,Olsens last, RM trainer and Twinstar

That brings back some memories!

I was fifteen and had only been into model planes for a couple of years. My father and I went down there for the day and I too remember, amongst other things, seeing Frank Vandenbergh's Skydancer crash after failing to come out of the spin.

Didn't put me off though, and I think that day helped confirm me as a life long aeromodeller smiley.

Dick

ps. Sorry - no pics though.

Edited By Dickw on 30/01/2016 12:20:38

​@ Peter Christy: Thanks, your links are very useful. Fantastic videos. We have  an unknown Kenley video too, soon we uploading. But we miss "real" pictures. Not copies from magazines...

Following R/C Aerobatic WC`s and competitions we have already online, - included old RCM&e text (thanks to chief editor of RCM&e magazine for using).

The first World Champion Ships Switzerland 1960 with 90 pictures, the third WC Genk, Belgium 1963 with 43 pictures, 1965 Sweden with more then 100 pics, 1969 WC Lemwerder over 100, WC Gorizia 1973 with 80 pics, please take a look: www.classicpattern.com

We have only a "low quantity" of Kenley pictures and nothing of 1967 Korsika. It will be cool if somebody will support us.

Later competitions are not a big problem, we will get soon thousands of pictures. All WC`s and many other Aerobatic competitions included the Las Vegas TOC`s.

Thank`s for help

Greetings from Germany

Editor Classicpattern Team

Edited By Classicpattern Team on 31/01/2016 07:17:32

Edited By Classicpattern Team on 31/01/2016 07:35:14

Edited By Classicpattern Team on 31/01/2016 07:35:50

Q: We have only a "low quantity" of Kenley pictures and nothing of 1967 Korsika. It will be cool if somebody will support us.

.........................................................................................................

I possibly know of a very Helpful chap who may have attended this event ( Korsica ) Corsica , along with a friend ?

They may have driven from England in His Austin A35 Van ( Shades of Wallace & Gromitt ? ) and He is very well known in current UK Aerobatic Circles ( GBRCAA )

An amusing account of their Travels lurks in the back of my mind , A35 's were not best recollected as having efficient brakes !

He may be able to Help ?

I will send you a pm. with a link

Mit freundlichen Gruben ( which is supposed to mean - regards )

PM sent.

P.

Edited By Peter Android on 04/02/2016 18:00:13

This is brilliant stuff. So many old familiar names before they were famous such as `Mr M.K., Mr Simprop` etc.

It certainly takes me back to my early days when r/c was much more fun. I could only drool over an Orbit 10 set, never mind the infantile propo gear.

I remember spending the 1962 Nats when I was 14 flying a Hornet powered c/l model from dawn till dusk and being treated to the very first public demonstration of proportional flying by Harry Brookes. Round loops had never been seen before.

I remember many of the models as well. Some such as the Perigree and Apogee were published in RCM&E.

I was once given a Caravelle which became a Graupner kit. Mine as inherited was mainly very thick GF on the fus due to multiple repairs but flew brilliantly on a Merco 49. I learned to fly reeds with this; also how to rebuild a totally destroyed reed Rx.

Martin Mc., UKCAA

Edited By Martin McIntosh on 04/02/2016 19:41:20

Posted by Mike Etheridge 1 on 04/02/2016 19:58:26:

There was nothing wrong with the Austin A30 / A35, mine lasted 18 months.

Better than a Alpha Romeo Beta then................

(Sorry Mike, could not resist.the quote prune .................. Coat, get............................)